• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    if you don't mind me asking.....what company did you use?....one of the big names I guess, there is no way I could charge $300 for a bad cap in my area
    I'd hate to say it, but some companies have a multiplier for certain area codes. Last year I did a multi-million dollar home in Noblesville, had 4) 5 ton heat pumps, two blown caps and a little low on R22. Am Rad'd them, changed schrader valves, put on brass caps $180. Same price I'd charge on bad side of town.

$300 hose job. You should see what they charge for a 1/4 HP cond. fan motor....and cap........:(

I just did one of those last week! Had to use the good old fan puller. Cut my hands pretty good, and still was under that $300 mark.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I'd hate to say it, but some companies have a multiplier for certain area codes. Last year I did a multi-million dollar home in Noblesville, had 4) 5 ton heat pumps, two blown caps and a little low on R22. Am Rad'd them, changed schrader valves, put on brass caps $180. Same price I'd charge on bad side of town.
    Now $180 is alot more reasonable and along the lines of fair to both the customer and the HVAC company. $300 is highway robbery.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

I just did one of those last week! Had to use the good old fan puller. Cut my hands pretty good, and still was under that $300 mark.

Those slash and burn outfits have to feed the huge office staff/truck fleets/insurance/fuel cards and still rack a 35% profit.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    any of you indy guy care to tell how much your charging for r-22 or r-422d this summer?... just wondering

I do not like the 422d.
    As to the R-22 it depends on who and what it is I am dealing with. Ingo gets a fair rate. Ask Mrs.G.
    That is no help is it.....:)

I have 2 30# jugs left in stock. When they are gone I am done with R-22. Until then I will be fair. Some of the local big box outfits are getting $125.00 for the first pound.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Well, no reason I couldn't've done it myself, I mean I knew what it was and all, would've had to crack it open, read the values, track one down, probably be into Monday, BUT with my knee the way it is right now, get down a couple of times, I wouldn't be getting up. I had to track someone down to get it done fast, and still we were in overtime, and you know, service call, they want to evaluate things, yadda yadda, so I can feel not too bad in a cool house. Maybe get some sleep tonight.

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    Those slash and burn outfits have to feed the huge office staff/truck fleets/insurance/fuel cards and still rack a 35% profit.
    I know what you mean. Did I ever mention the job offer one place gave me? Told me a base rate, then in interview said it's that rate after commission hits. Kept calling them "Spiffs". Basically explained a very unethical, heck flat out lying and con-artist stuff. "sometimes wires work loose" I told the guy not to call me again and I left.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well, no reason I couldn't've done it myself, I mean I knew what it was and all, would've had to crack it open, read the values, track one down, probably be into Monday, BUT with my knee the way it is right now, get down a couple of times, I wouldn't be getting up. I had to track someone down to get it done fast, and still we were in overtime, and you know, service call, they want to evaluate things, yadda yadda, so I can feel not too bad in a cool house. Maybe get some sleep tonight.

Or, you could have posted up and someone would have had one and taken care of you for most likely $75 to $100. Just saying.......:)

Glad you are comfortable.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I know what you mean. Did I ever mention the job offer one place gave me? Told me a base rate, then in interview said it's that rate after commission hits. Kept calling them "Spiffs". Basically explained a very unethical, heck flat out lying and con-artist stuff. "sometimes wires work loose" I told the guy not to call me again and I left.

If folks really knew how that program worked these guys would be out of bizz in short order. It is why I retired from a service truck. I do this now for select people at a more than fair rate.

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    well is the OP's compressor shorted to ground or what?.....
    Still no update. I'd guess no, you'd blow that breaker right away with a short to ground. It was all spitballing we were doing. I think the general thought was a locked rotor. *shrug*

I realize I keep writing breaker and he said it was a fuse. I apologize, but I'll keep doing it lol.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Still no update. I'd guess no, you'd blow that breaker right away with a short to ground. It was all spitballing we were doing. I think the general thought was a locked rotor. *shrug*

Locked rotor would have blown fuse almost immediately (as soon as contactor was pulled) for a call for cooling.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County

I realize I keep writing breaker and he said it was a fuse. I apologize, but I'll keep doing it lol.

didn't see the running then blow part.....15a must be a 1 1/2 ton....

Top Bottom