Absolute Frustration! An OC experience...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • catielynnb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    Louisville
    Oh it's great fun when you get a jolt of 277 through your arm. I've been hit by it once while making a splice, had a pain in my elbow all day.

It's okay. They had me making connections in a live 480VAC box in a puddle. Everyone thought it had been powered down because VFD LCD display was off as well as the HMI... yup, no. Almost died. Since then it has been an 'initiation' joke.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    We can be on a job and I'll ask new guys that as we pass one of the subs--gets 'em every time. Yeah, corny as all get out, I know.
    Yeah that's a good one. I like to use another one although not related to anything electrical. I'll ask someone if they ever see a flock of geese flying overhead in "V" formation and notice one side of the "V" is longer than the other side and ask them if they know why that is?

Naturally most ponder the question and try to over think it and they end up feeling really foolish and I get the proverbial groan when I tell them it's because there are more geese on that side.

1911 DeadHead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    NWI/ Crown Point
    I dont really find it a joke. Guys will always say panels and boxes aren't energized. I always grab my meter and check for myself. I've heard too many bad stories and seen too many bad pictures to take their word.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I "heard" an electrician get into a panel in a commercial water heater at a school one time. He thought he'd killed the breaker but had just flipped off the 120v control circuit. Good thing his screw driver hit the side of the unit at the same time he touched the first lug. The dead short sounded louder than a 12 gauge going off. We all sh** out pants. He sat down and took a looooong break and thought about almost going to the great panel in the sky.

Too bad you don't work with architects. They would have seen your carry and commented on how it blended in with you outfit, the shape and "form" of it and how it related to the environment and ..."Oh, look! A puppy in the flower garden."

catielynnb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    Louisville
    I dont really find it a joke. Guys will always say panels and boxes aren't energized. I always grab my meter and check for myself. I've heard too many bad stories and seen too many bad pictures to take their word.

I should have. That's the last time I trusted anyone to prove a panel was off. Seriously. I've been zapped by a wall outlet, but that was stupidity on my part.

I "heard" an electrician get into a panel in a commercial water heater at a school one time. He thought he'd killed the breaker but had just flipped off the 120v control circuit. Good thing his screw driver hit the side of the unit at the same time he touched the first lug. The dead short sounded louder than a 12 gauge going off. We all sh** out pants. He sat down and took a looooong break and thought about almost going to the great panel in the sky.

Too bad you don't work with architects. They would have seen your carry and commented on how it blended in with you outfit, the shape and "form" of it and how it related to the environment and ..."Oh, look! A puppy in the flower garden."

Yup. Never again. Its a scary thing, seriously. I don't want to see one exploded, especially not when it would be my life on the line.

Also, I have architect friends, and you're exactly right.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

Good for you! Electrical safety is much like firearms safety. The rules are simple and forget to follow them one time can get someone killed...like you never take somebody's word a gun is unloaded, always check for voltage yourself.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Yeah that's a good one. I like to use another one although not related to anything electrical. I'll ask someone if they ever see a flock of geese flying overhead in "V" formation and notice one side of the "V" is longer than the other side and ask them if they know why that is?

Naturally most ponder the question and try to over think it and they end up feeling really foolish and I get the proverbial groan when I tell them it's because there are more geese on that side.

There's another one that's a little off color for mixed company, so I won't type in the punch line: "you know what blows fuses?....". It's a groaner.

catielynnb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    Louisville
    Maybe it is that they find your confidence emasculating. Don't let them bother you, if you want to OC, then OC. Personally, I CC.....however, I support everyone's right to carry....however, they see fit.

BTW, on a side note....maybe you've answered this before, but is you avatar your martial arts black belt? If so, that could be another reason your male coworkers feel insecure around you (yes, they are insecure..that is why they confronted you). I only ask because it reminds me of my oldest son's black belt.....his name on one end and something in Korean written on the other.

Yes, it did get almost overlooked. I read it and meant to answer, but obviously I didn't. YES, that is my blackbelt that I earned after five and a half hours on my feet and lots of earned bruises. It was my 'school's black and I earned my first degree a year later.

Most memorable bruises, from my wrist to my elbow of my left arm, the obvious foot print on my ribs, was a defined heel and ball of a foot, and last but not least the fingertips and thumb marks on the inside of my thigh right above my right knee. I would never want to repeat that day. Ever. I was a nervous wreck.

Notable moments, disarmed someone with a 'knife' and almost broke their wrist because they wouldn't give. And, broke one of the molded plastic guns in half, they split different directions too. It was intense.

I didn't just train in TaeKwonDo either, my basis was TKD but also included Jujitsu, Kempo, Judo, Krav Maga, Ninjitsu and a handful of others.
    I apologize for any spelling errors because I'm in a parking lot, in Rossville, on my phone.

Last edited:

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I didn't just train in TaeKwonDo either, my basis was TKD but also included Jujitsu, Kempo, Judo, Krav Maga, Ninjitsu and a handful of others.
    I apologize for any spelling errors because I'm in a parking lot, in Rossville, on my phone.

I always wanted to do krav maga and jujitsu...how difficult to learn each?

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    It's okay. They had me making connections in a live 480VAC box in a puddle. Everyone thought it had been powered down because VFD LCD display was off as well as the HMI... yup, no. Almost died. Since then it has been an 'initiation' joke.

Never assume and never take anyone's word for it...ever!
    Hot wire testers are cheap.

Bunch of Jackwagons you work with.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Never assume and never take anyone's word for it...ever!
    Hot wire testers are cheap.

Bunch of Jackwagons you work with.
    You've got that right. I installed a new light in a closet I finished in our basement. The licensed and long time in business electrician had just hung a china fixture with a bare bulb. I flipped the switch off then checked the wires on the fixture. He had screwed up and switched the neutral instead of the hot. So with the "hot" still active if I would have touched the box or the ground at the same time I would have got lit up.

1911 DeadHead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    NWI/ Crown Point
    You've got that right. I installed a new light in a closet I finished in our basement. The licensed and long time in business electrician had just hung a china fixture with a bare bulb. I flipped the switch off then checked the wires on the fixture. He had screwed up and switched the neutral instead of the hot. So with the "hot" still active if I would have touched the box or the ground at the same time I would have got lit up.

Old time journeymen I have worked with "It only tingles...."

Top Bottom