• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    North West Indiana
    I think i am going to have to trade or sell away my beloved HBar bushmaster "m4"(variant). Mostly due to my acceptance of the reality of the underpowered .223. Yes it is a very deadly weapon in my hands, but I know what it can and cannot do. It just doesnt serve the purpose fully.

I have considered an alternate caliber AR, but the whole idea is to be able to resupply easily. The most common rifle round you will find on US soil is 5.56x45(.223). That is a huge advantage for someone who thinks they will fire a billion rounds, having aquired it all from their dead enemies.

If my idea is to stay with a service type rifle my next caliber choice should be 7.62x39. I figure this is a no brainer to many of you. My issue lies in my lack of enthusiasm for the AK platform. I know their capabilities and shortcomings. I also know the 7.62x39 deals quite a wound.

So in closing, I would like to see some suggestions on what AK's would impress me with their accuracy in say the $700 range. I got to admit my greatest dislike with the ak is the sights and sight radius.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I built an AR15 in 7.62x39

Model 1 sales has the barrels, bolts, and C Product mags work just fine thank you!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    i know it's not an AK but the AR 10 is killer in .308

That is my next project and the reason I am selling my Siaga 12 to help fund it.
    I have used a friends AR-10 and it gives me all the right Vibes and feed back. I have sold off all of the 7.62X39 pieces early this summer. They just do not fill my needs or feel right. I can not argue with how you feel about the .223 as I have several variants all on AR platforms but they are still one of my favorites.
    Consider a .308. Just my humble opinion.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    You need a LaRue 7.62 PredatAR, a Comp M4, and a bunch of PMags.
    Have Widener's send you a couple of pallets of MEN and you wil be in business.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    You need a LaRue 7.62 PredatAR, a Comp M4, and a bunch of PMags.

:drool:

obro.jpg

ETA: Ok so actually the above is an OBR.

HERE is a PredatAR.

ZZ256554.jpg

Last edited:

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Meh, that is still an AR. A very difficult to charge AR at that. .308 does have alot to offer though.

P1010369.jpg

Or even one of these guys.
    DSC_0519.jpg

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    I think i am going to have to trade or sell away my beloved HBar bushmaster "m4"(variant). Mostly due to my acceptance of the reality of the underpowered .223. Yes it is a very deadly weapon in my hands, but I know what it can and cannot do. It just doesnt serve the purpose fully. .

Just to clarify, what purpose does it not serve fully? It kills dear, various critters and does indeed put the 2 legged kind down fairly well. It ain't a .308, but it works better than many will admit.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    North West Indiana
    Those are all very nice rifles that I would be proud to field. Yet they all break my bank. Im looking for a rifle that is near equal in value to my current AR system.

Anyone have experience with a converted Saiga or maybe something like an arsenal? How bout that TWS "Dog Leg" system? It would be nice to have a rear peep sight. Oh and anyone using an ACE brand stock? Ive heard they are solid. Hmm after all these add ons im looking at a wasr.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    North West Indiana
    Just to clarify, what purpose does it not serve fully? It kills dear, various critters and does indeed put the 2 legged kind down fairly well. It ain't a .308, but it works better than many will admit.

Okay I can clarify.

5.56 does NOT put a 2legr down "fairly well". Unless you give him a burst with a SAW for example. And even then you still get runners. You hit a 2lgr with 7.62 and the fight is usually over. Im not looking to potentially injure. If my shot is on target i need to kill or mame badly enough to eliminate the threat. I know if I still have a breath in me Im still in the fight and I dont expect any less from my enemy. I didnt read that in a forum or magazine either. Dont mistake my seriousness for arrogance or general forum jerkness. Its a real issue to me.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    [/QUOTE]
    Originally Posted by turnandshoot4
    Or even one of these guys.
    DSC_0519.jpg
    [/QUOTE]

I keep one of these fine rifles and plenty of ammo loaded up just in case, the sights are great, function is superb, and it hits hard as far as you can see. :yesway::patriot: Ak's rock as well and I would grab one of those for my other long rifle. That's if I could only carry two. :cool:

Top Bottom