• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    308, semi auto, removable mag, and proven reliability. your price range Id say cetme. a tick higher id say FAL or even the new keltec rfb. I hear good things about them. Though the FAL and the cetme are bricks to move around. though if you loveing the ar format and looking to go on the cheap id go with a barrel change to 7.62x39. Ak I used to have a Arsonal ak., they are darn nice and crazy good shooters as well. wish I didnt let that one go actually.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Okay I can clarify.

5.56 does NOT put a 2legr down "fairly well". Unless you give him a burst with a SAW for example. And even then you still get runners. You hit a 2lgr with 7.62 and the fight is usually over. Im not looking to potentially injure. If my shot is on target i need to kill or mame badly enough to eliminate the threat. I know if I still have a breath in me Im still in the fight and I dont expect any less from my enemy. I didnt read that in a forum or magazine either. Dont mistake my seriousness for arrogance or general forum jerkness. Its a real issue to me.

No arrogance read into your answer. I asked, you answered. We have similar experiences overall, I will say I was always glad my enemy was primarily armed with the 7.62 chambered AK, my gunner shared the sentiment.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    There's nothing wrong with the average Wasr. Arsenals cost more but I'm sure you've seen that already.
    With the Wasr/Arsenal price difference you could have a Wasr, then buy an Ultimak for mounting a RDS.
    Not trying to talk you out of buying an Arsenal. They're nice and you wouldn't regret having one.
    Aimpoints are high. There are other RDS that don't cost as much but I don't know anything about them. I think it's aaoptic.com on here that sells some of these other RDS.
    Krebs makes an AK peep sight that works pretty well.
    I don't know about changing the stock on an AK. I've just never felt the need and the original stuff works for me. I'd rather spend my money on other gun parts ect.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    If you are in the market for an AK, I would recommend a Maadi as well. Just stay away from Century imports. I have fired a few AK's, and the Maadi is definitely on the upper shelf. Personally, at 100 yards I group almost as well with my AK firing cheap Russian ammo. As I do my M4 using mid shelf ammo.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    OK so you dont like AKs and dont want an AR huh? And you want somthing in 7.62x39? Ive Skimmed all the posts here and noone has mentioned an SKS as far as i could tell. You can get a good SKS for around $300 depending on the country of origin. My advice, go to Bradis, walk through door, turn right walk about 20 paces turn right again, proceed to rack in the middle of the floor. On that rack on the far left side was a Chinese Norinco SKS with bayonet and all. You can get 30 round mags for them too. My dad owns 3 my brother has one and i recently came into one also. They have been 100% reliable and imho are an under rated rifle. I forgot to mention that all of ours are Russian made. ;)

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    If you've already made up your mind about dumping the 5.56 mil then this advice isn't for you. But if you reconsider and you're looking for a defense, hog-busting, bad ass round in that caliber try the Hornady TAP 75 gr OTBT (Open Tip Boat Tail.)

warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    OK so you dont like AKs and dont want an AR huh? And you want somthing in 7.62x39? Ive Skimmed all the posts here and noone has mentioned an SKS as far as i could tell. You can get a good SKS for around $300 depending on the country of origin. My advice, go to Bradis, walk through door, turn right walk about 20 paces turn right again, proceed to rack in the middle of the floor. On that rack on the far left side was a Chinese Norinco SKS with bayonet and all. You can get 30 round mags for them too. My dad owns 3 my brother has one and i recently came into one also. They have been 100% reliable and imho are an under rated rifle. I forgot to mention that all of ours are Russian made. ;)

I agree with Kawtech87 the SKS is a great choice. I think a lot of people over look it as option. Another option would be the AK74 those look very nice and the price isn't real bad

I like the 7.62x39 at the shorter ranges. I know the 5.56 will go much farther but I don't think I can hit much at 300+ yards so don't need a rifle that can do 500+ yards.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If you've already made up your mind about dumping the 5.56 mil then this advice isn't for you. But if you reconsider and you're looking for a defense, hog-busting, bad ass round in that caliber try the Hornady TAP 75 gr OTBT (Open Tip Boat Tail.)

This is my round of choice for the AR build up I use for Coyote. Great carry over distance and still hits hard at 500 plus. Wind will still push it but not as much.

farmboy365

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   1
    Dec 22, 2008
    NE Indiana
    I went wildcat and have a 6x45 it's easy to reload and all you need is a barrel.
    It's a 223 case necked up to 6mm supper easy to reload brass is cheep and bullets are plentiful I have sighted in and can't wait to try on a yote!

Top Bottom