• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    No Glock Koolaide for me :) Traded my 870 for an XD9 Service today. It was very hard to choose between the Glock 19 and XD9, so I kind of didn't. Just listed both in my ad, and let fate take it's course LOL.

There's much to like about both guns, of course. I think after a more thorough firing session with my XD I'll write a review of the gun, and list my thoughts about them there. This is kinda just a quicky.

My XD is nearly new, less than a month old, 80 rounds through it when I got it. It's got a better trigger than the other XDs I've owned and shot. Much lighter, smoother, and crisper. I'm obviously quite pleased with that! Put 100 rounds through her today. 50 TulArms 9mm, 50 handloads consisting of Remington 115gr JHPs over 4.7gr of Bullseye. She ate 'em all just fine, of course, as XDs are prone to doing. Only malfunction was the one I predicted yesterday when I bought the ammo. One of the primers was mangled, and of course did not fire today. I fired one handed strong and weak hand, and two handed strong and weak hand at 7 and 25 yards. I found the gun easy and natural to shoot well, and very easy to control. I like it better than I did my XD9sc, a gun I liked very well indeed.

As for the TulArms ammo, it works OK. It's more accurate than WWB and UMC. It worked about as well as my handloads, which were mixed brass rounds slapped together this morning with no overwhelming regard for precision. I shot one 10 round target at 7 yards just to have one to take a picture of for ya'll. But I won't be in any overwhelming rush to buy it again. For one thing it's pretty dirty. Worse, though, is that it STINKS. Every time you pull the trigger, you are enveloped in a cloud of smoke that smells like urine. Kind of gross LOL.

We also put a bunch of .22s downrange today. Finished up with a little "competition." 4 targets (because we couldn't fit 5 on the plates) with the last 10 rounds of the box being "bonus" rounds we could use on any target/s we thought could use some help. I think I won :D Sean said he found the concept of being in a competition affected his concentration, and Cathy had a feeding problem on one target that she let damage her calm.

Obligatory pics. Please forgive the quality. Our neat but aging little Kodak finally died, so Cathy made her best effort with my cell phone.

Sean had a target he was particularly proud of, and picked out just to show off to ya'll:
    Shooting10-16-10018.jpg

Our "competition" targets. In order mine, Sean's, and Cathy's. I was shooting my 10/22, Sean his Marlin 795, Cathy her Marlin Model 60.
    Shooting10-16-10016.jpg

Shooting10-16-10011.jpg

Shooting10-16-10013.jpg

Some pics of my "new" XD9. The target in the background was shot with 10 rounds of TulArms 115 FMJ at 7 yards.
    Shooting10-16-10005.jpg

Shooting10-16-10007.jpg

Shooting10-16-10009.jpg

Shooting10-16-10003.jpg

Shooting10-16-10002.jpg

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Sounds like a great time.

Congrats on the new gun. Enjoy it before you trade it away in 6 weeks! :D

Naw, this one will stick around. Trading is fun, but we are actually getting more serious about SHTF weapons planning. I'm growing more worried about societal disruption instead of the natural disaster type emergencies we've always been well prepared for, with man made problems being secondary. We have been prepared to survive both, but I'm more concerned about long term disruptions now than I have been in the past. We've sampled a wide variety of handguns, and have chosen the XD as our primary handguns. It was either this or the Glock 19, and since I picked up this XD the choice is made. Cathy will be buying one to match.

Going sell off my P95 to get another gun we think fits our needs better, despite the fact that I like the gun a whole bunch, and go from there.

Not to say my trading days are over. I'll buy something cool to check out sooner or later, and it'll become more trade fodder LOL. I really do enjoy trading guns to sample others.

I'll also be buying a Glock 26 sooner or later. Ever since Infidel loaned me his for a day, I've lusted one. It has real potential to replace the 3" SP101 as my all time favorite carry gun.

ggglobert9

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    Ft Wayne
    I am glad that fake Glock was only a few yard away from the paper "targets"! Let me know if you want to borrow one that will put holes in real targets! Just kidding and has anyone seen my dinner plates? They have all come up missing! HEHEHE!

Top Bottom