• ...and so much more!
  • starcrack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Bloomington, IN
    A happy dilemma...

I was pretty set on an XD until a few hours ago, but I just had a pretty long talk with my dad about it. He hasn't shot a gun since he served over 20 years ago, but still has strong opinions about which guns he enjoyed most.

I've enjoyed shooting both handguns and rifles, but I've never owned a gun before and it's pretty unlikely I'll get both.

What I enjoy about the handgun is that it's just a fun experience to just shoot, and they're really neat pieces of machines. Generally I admire more the workmanship that goes into a pistol more than a rifle (don't know why). And that's actually a pretty big thing for me.

Rifles on the other hand are way more fun in the "marksmanship" sense. It's just easier and more enjoyable to shoot a target more accurately from longer range, and have your rifle be so reliable. I'm sure I'm not describing this very well, but I hope some of you understand what I mean. I'm going to try to see if I can find a AK74 at a good price. For some reason I don't like the ARs so much.

Right now I'm leaning toward the rifle. I'm driving up to Bradis tomorrow to make the decision. Hmm, I think I'll enjoy either one, though, just fun to agonize over it :D

P.S. Incoming dozen posts of get both! I'd love to, but I'm on an inflexible budget here...

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I think a HG might be a good 1st gun choice. You can use it for defense, target shooting and plinking. You can buy a cheaper rifel, ie 10/22, to shoot and save up for an AK74. I just picked up one btw. Very nice rifles.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Why not both? How about a pistol-registered AK or AR? :D

akpistol.jpg

oly_k23p.jpg

Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    the next time you're on an overpass, estimate the range to the bottom of the on-ramp. then think about how accurate you are with a pistol vs. a rifle vs. that distance. now which gun is more versatile?

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    What is your primary purpose for getting the firearm? Don't get me wrong, you don't have to justify yourself to us, I'm just trying to help you dial it in.

Do you want something primarily for home defense? If it is for home defense, a large caliber auto loading pistol, a 20 or 12 gauge shotgun or a good would be fine choices.

Do you want something primarily for just shooting targets/plinking?

If you're just going to be shooting targets, I'd like to suggest getting something chambered in .22lr. .22's don't have a lot of punch for defensive use, but they are really cheap to feed.

Do you think you'd want to carry it in your car or on your person for self defense?

If you want to carry it in your pocket or tuck it under your car seat, its probably going to be a pistol. In Indiana you have to have a permit to carry a handgun pretty much anywhere except from your home to your own business or from your home to a gunsmith for repair. You have to get a permit to even take a handgun from your home to a shooting range. Permits are pretty easy to get for law abiding citizens, but you pretty much need a permit if you're going to take a handgun off of your property.
    You don't need any permits for long guns.

Don't discount your admiration of the mechanics of good auto loading pistols. They really are fine machines and their efficiency and elegance is something to admire.

I would also suggest that you check out the prices on ammo for whatever you are considering getting. I personally think that if you are only going to have a few guns you should plan on shooting them a bunch. If you choose something that is expensive to feed, you probably won't shoot it much and if you don't shoot it much you are really short changing yourself. A decent firearm is capable of amazing things, if you master it.

Along that line, I would like to encourage you to consider some training. I understand that your budget is constrained but there is some reasonably priced instruction out there and if you can't afford it now, maybe later.

If you do get a rifle, I'd strongly suggest you check out Project Appleseed @ appleseedinfo.org . They'll help you learn the basics to make you a fine shot with your rifle. If you're kind of new to shooting, that's great! That means you'll just have less bad habits to break.

Anyway, congratulations on your upcoming firearms purchase. You'll never forget your first and it'll always be special.

Last edited:

tnek

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    You awnsered your own question in the first line. No offense but you can take your dads input but you need to pick what you want. If your gut tells you that the XD is what you want,,,,,,,,,,,

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    What is your primary purpose for getting the firearm? Don't get me wrong, you don't have to justify yourself to us, I'm just trying to help you dial it in.

Do you want something primarily for home defense? If it is for home defense, a large caliber auto loading pistol, a 20 or 12 gauge shotgun or a good battle rifle (like the AK74) would all be fine choices.

AK74 is not a battle rifle.

In my opinion, the first firearm should be a 9mm handgun. Second should be a .22 handgun. 3rd should be a .22 rifle. After that, everything is gravy.

A shotgun is excellent for home defense. I use a rifle because it's shorter/lighter and easier for me to maneuver.

If I was short on cash and I didn't have a rifle, I'd have an 18-20" 870 for home defense. Even without an extension it'd be tough as nails and work great.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    *laughs* no one here has made it any easier, eh?

Get what makes YOU happy. I guarantee you that eventually you'll have both.

For what it's worth, I too appreciate the aesthetic of the machinery of guns, and some of them just offend that aesthetic. This is true of both rifles and pistols. In my world there are guns that I will shoot if I have to, and guns that are just a pure joy to operate and shoot. For example, my second pistol was a Ruger P90. I had sold my first gun to fund getting into reloading, and bought the Ruger with the leftover proceeds. I was 21 at the time and was paying off my land and truck so money was very tight. I know people really like the Ruger P90, but I hated that gun. It was clunky and awkward compared to the gun I had sold and I never warmed up to it.

Me personally, if I had no guns right now and had to rebuild my collection from scratch again, I'd buy a pistol first. But then the next rifle I'd buy would be an inexpensive .22lr because everyone should have a .22lr. Then a 12ga shotgun for the same reason. Then I start saving my money for the better guns. I lost 95% of my gun collection over three years ago and while I still had my every day carry gun and a couple rifles, that is almost exactly what I did.

I can also pretty much guarantee that your sense of aesthetics for guns will change as you gain experience with them. Which direction it will change is not something anyone can predict :)

starcrack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Bloomington, IN
    *laughs* no one here has made it any easier, eh?

Haha, it's true... nobody has made it easier. But they made me consider a lot of different points, which is helpful.

My main purpose is just to go out to the range and shoot. I live in a good neighborhood in Bloomington. That means 1/2 hr drive minimum to the closest place I can shoot, but it also means I have the benefit of living in a safe, small town as opposed to somewhere like Indianapolis or Gary. I have applied for my LTCH already (on the advice of posters here) but I don't plan to carry any gun day-to-day. Like I said, I live in Bloomington, and it's just not worth the trouble in my case, I even work at the school here.

It's true, my dad does have immense influence over me, it's like Jedi mind tricks sometimes. But I really do trust his judgment and respect him enormously, and he's guided me well in some major decisions in my life over the years. I guess this is more a question of personal taste, but I feel like I didn't really even consider rifles before that conversation because I've been looking forward to an XD so bad.

I've already got a good XD in my sights (boom, gun pun!) but today when I go up to the gun shop I'll ask to check out some rifles. I'll probably end up coming home with the XD, but who knows, maybe I'll fall for a rifle :ar15:

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    If I had never owned a gun before, I would start with a Ruger MKIII Target. 22's aren't great defensive guns, but I wouldn't even think of carrying concealed until I was more proficient with handguns in general.

If you decided to start with a rifle, I'd go Marlin 39M, Marlin 60, or Ruger 10/22. Again, start small, shoot a lot, and once you get safe handling, sight picture, maintenance, etc. down, then buy a more expensive gun in a bigger caliber.

I love guns. I love new people getting interested in them. Just don't try to run before you learn to walk. That's how people get hurt. And the anti-gun media gets to write all the "see, we told you guns are bad stories" they want.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Haha, it's true... nobody has made it easier. But they made me consider a lot of different points, which is helpful.

My main purpose is just to go out to the range and shoot. I live in a good neighborhood in Bloomington. That means 1/2 hr drive minimum to the closest place I can shoot, but it also means I have the benefit of living in a safe, small town as opposed to somewhere like Indianapolis or Gary. I have applied for my LTCH already (on the advice of posters here) but I don't plan to carry any gun day-to-day. Like I said, I live in Bloomington, and it's just not worth the trouble in my case, I even work at the school here.

It's true, my dad does have immense influence over me, it's like Jedi mind tricks sometimes. But I really do trust his judgment and respect him enormously, and he's guided me well in some major decisions in my life over the years. I guess this is more a question of personal taste, but I feel like I didn't really even consider rifles before that conversation because I've been looking forward to an XD so bad.

I've already got a good XD in my sights (boom, gun pun!) but today when I go up to the gun shop I'll ask to check out some rifles. I'll probably end up coming home with the XD, but who knows, maybe I'll fall for a rifle :ar15:

Well get to know some of the folks here. The user "Ilovemywoods" is over near Unionville and has a nice range on his property and is a genuinely nice guy who hosts shoots frequently, hook up with one of them and and go and meet some other gun folks and they'll let you shoot a wide variety of guns. If you or you and your dad want to take a little more of a road trip I'll let you shoot at my range, I have a 50' range for pistol and 100 yard for rifle and if you bring the ammo you can shoot any of my guns and I have many common calibers along with some less common (like .50bmg and 10mm).

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Regardless of what you get, there's a very good chance you'll get the other within a year or so. Guns get very lonely.

Top Bottom