AA Optics is now a National Appleseed sponser (Kickoff event details inside)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Barista

Marksman
    Oct 29, 2012
    South Bend..."Go Irish"
    Really upset I missed this one. I have been wanting to do Appleseed for a couple years. I have the equipment, and never get to use it. Most of the Appleseeds start too early in the morning for me though, and that is my one complaint.

But it is so worth getting up for. My husband and I got up at 4:30 am to make it to Richmond in time. Unless you are working third shift.

I woke up Sunday morning around 03:30 and was out the door a little past 04:00. After a 4 hour drive (it took me a while to actually finding the place) it was well worth the 8-9 hrs of lessons and shooting.

I had never attended an Appleseed before this event but I have heard great things about these weekend events. I don't recommend just showing up the 2nd day of an Appleseed if you had never attended a full weekend event before. I had other life events to attend Saturday that I had not expected when I signed up for this event; however, I was expecting no changes to my plans since it was a holiday weekend but school events trump. I can tell you that Sunday was a very fast paced day and I had to learn quickly. I think the one saving grace portion of this one day (Sunday) event for me was that there were plenty of hats (Green, Red, Blue, Orange, etc.) to provide some one-on-one training. The margin of error was very small for me and I had to jump right in and learn efficiently, effectively and fast. I believe if I had shot both days I could have shot Rifleman "Expert" but I was rather happy with my best shoot being 195 considering: short amount of time to pick-up the training skills, using a bolt action rifle, and only have 7 round magazines (I had to do magazine changes on strings 1 & 2 when this would not have been required with a higher magazine capacity).

All-in-all I'm very happy with this event, the lessons learned (history), and the shooting drills (AQT). I will be attending another event for both days in the very near future (hopefully with my son).

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    Still, it can't be comfortable! Had a blast and wish you hadn't gotten burnt but I'm glad you put it out there and enjoyed it. I've decided that I'm going to have a perfect score at the next event. Time to practice!

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    Bless your heart, are you going to listen to your wife next time and use that sissy stuff called sun screen? I guess now wouldn't be the time to mention that I didn't use any sun screen and didn't get burnt or even much of a tan from last weekend. :stickpoke:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Bless your heart, are you going to listen to your wife next time and use that sissy stuff called sun screen? I guess now wouldn't be the time to mention that I didn't use any sun screen and didn't get burnt or even much of a tan from last weekend. :stickpoke:

NOPE, next time Ill wear the bandanna I always wear. The parts of my body (arms, legs, etc) that are usto the sun are not even red, but my head is always under cover. The good news is the inflammation is comming out my tear ducts. The bad news is it looks like Im crying like a 3 year old right now. I figure if we cant laugh at ourselves who can we laugh at:):

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Just a quick bump here. For those of you who either attended this, or wanted to but couldn't you might want to keep a special eye on the Appleseed forum for the next few days. I have a feeling something will pop up on their that might peak your interest. :whistle:.

lucky4034

Master
    Jan 14, 2012
    I'm going to attend even if I have to go it alone! BTW... I see a Richmond event on the schedule already? Same event?

Top Bottom