• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    I don't care if you can spell or not. I can usually figure out what's trying to be said. I just wonder sometimes if Gomer, who has been sent to this site because a current member is trying to interest him is the shooting sports, or maybe he just stumbled across the site, sees some of the really poor spelling/grammer, and wonders if some folks no smarter than that are carrying guns, does he really want to be associated with 'em......

Of course, Gomer may spell/write that way too... :dunno: :patriot:

Well, gooooleeee:D

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteers be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

That was freaky! I had no problem reading it, but I still get the OP's point.

Protest

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    SW Michigan
    Honestly, the only thing I hate when reading other peoples junk is when people do not use periods...EVER! Hurts my eye trying to figure out where the stops are. Sometimes I run out of air and pass out on the floor because I can't stop reading until I see a break from a period. Only to be drawn on by my kids and their crayola sets for hours. That is NO way to live man. NO WAY!! For the love of Billy Ray Cyrus, use a periods. Gingers everywhere are counting on you!
    I agree. You would have hated New Testament Greek. In that language, they didn't use spaces, sentence punctuation or capitals. Just pages full of letters.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I have a colleague who loves to write dissertations outlining his disapproval of something. Now, this guy is a very good writer and has a great command of the English language. Sometimes he would BC me on emails to his superior(s) and end with "Please advice."

I contacted him several times, informing him that he meant "advise." However, he would go on to tell me that he was a Journalism major and either spelling could be used. I'm not a Journalism or English major, but I know if I wouldn't say something, most likely I will not write it that way either. After months, he gave in and started using "advise", but it's probable his supervisor(s) laughed at the "smart guy who keeps getting the same word wrong" and didn't pay too much attention to him.

Now, I wouldn't ignore someone because of their spelling. But, if if a person self-proclaims himself to be a great speller/writer, I tend to pay attention to what he sends and when he screws up, it stands out.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    My favorite key is the backspace key...

And I absolutely love the built-in spell checker that Firefox has.

If I'm going to write, I'd like it to be as correct as possible.

We always harp on each other for using firearms in the most responsible and proper manner possible...

So why not use other tools at our disposal in the same responsible and proper manner?

"Gun people" are already looked down upon, haughtily, by many so-called upper class educated elite type people; why give them any more fuel with 3rd grade spelling and grammar?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    +1 Indy_guy.

For better or worse, I tend to lump these into three categories: you are not bright enough to spell (or use the correct word), you are too lazy to do it right, or you just don't care.

A decent grasp of grammar and spelling not only reflects on YOUR abilities, but on your respect for the reader. If I have to work to figure out what you are saying, I'm just as likely to discount it.

That said, I am a HORRIBLE speller. I've struggled since grade school. It takes work for me to get it right. Spell check is a God-send!

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Whatireallyhateisawalloftextwithoutproperspacingorpuncuationitreallyputsaburnonmewhenpeopledothatandjustrunonandonwithastorywithouthavingapointheresanideaifyouwanttotellastorytrytohaveapointforpetessakejustgoingonandonwillupsetpeopleiwonderifspellcheckwillfindanythingwrongwiththissupercalifragilisticexpialidociousstatementparagraphsentencewhateverhaveyoubeendrivencrazyyethaveyoulostyourplacewhilereadingwelltoobadifyouarestillreadingcongratualtionsyouhavemorepatienceandunderstadingthantheaverageingoerwellihaveotherthingstochecksoillbebackhaillbebacklikearnoldintheterminatormoviegetithaletoffsomesteambennetthalikearnoldincommandiwishihadaneverendingsupplyofammolikehedidorbetteryetashouldermountedplasmacannonlikethepredatorhadthatwouldbebossarnoldwasinthatmovietoobuthesrealinreallifenotthepredatorimeanarnoldfwellillseeya.

I judge people on their actions, not the spelling of their words. To be fair though, I aint had much learnin.

Aint aint a word, just sayin. :):

christman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Terra Haute
    Whatireallyhateisawalloftextwithoutproperspacingorpuncuationitreallyputsaburnonmewhenpeopledothatandjustrunonandonwithastorywithouthavingapointheresanideaifyouwanttotellastorytrytohaveapointforpetessakejustgoingonandonwillupsetpeopleiwonderifspellcheckwillfindanythingwrongwiththissupercalifragilisticexpialidociousstatementparagraphsentencewhateverhaveyoubeendrivencrazyyethaveyoulostyourplacewhilereadingwelltoobadifyouarestillreadingcongratualtionsyouhavemorepatienceandunderstadingthantheaverageingoerwellihaveotherthingstochecksoillbebackhaillbebacklikearnoldintheterminatormoviegetithaletoffsomesteambennetthalikearnoldincommandiwishihadaneverendingsupplyofammolikehedidorbetteryetashouldermountedplasmacannonlikethepredatorhadthatwouldbebossarnoldwasinthatmovietoobuthesrealinreallifenotthepredatorimeanarnoldfwellillseeya.

Aint aint a word, just sayin. :):
    I almost neg repped you after trying to read about 10 words in. Almost....I hate your face now for the next 2 hours. :draw: Oh and I wanted to properly cite this source so to not get the hammer. They may dissapprove, but its in THARRR!!!

ain't. (2010). In Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary.
    Retrieved August 10, 2010, from Ain't - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    theres misspelling words and using the wrong form, and then there are people that just cant put together coherent statements. those are the people i have a problem with.

:+1:

Sometimes he would BC me on emails to his superior(s) and end with "Please advice."

Wonder if he's ever advertised a "gun for sell" in our Classifieds? :laugh:

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    It's haz. ;)

Only if he really wanted to sale them. :cool:

1e6a753b-b31f-40cb-8d16-a938527e66d4.jpeg

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Ask and you shall receive
    butthurt.jpg
    I made up a form just like that at work, and gave a copy to everybody in the shop. The plant manager laughed his *** off about it and said "you shoulda thought of this a long time ago". Then some crybaby complained that I was singling him out, and they told me throw all the rest of them away. That was 5 years ago, and the guys in the shop still talk about it all the time.:rockwoot:I was pretty proud of myself for that one.

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    my platoon sergeant used to have a program where you could write down your feelings and or problems anonymously and hand them in. he wrote "issue box" on the side of a garbage can.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DJLouis
    Top Bottom