• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Our current policy and training says that if you are the only officer on scene and shots are being fired, you go in period. If it involves driving through a door to make entry, do what you have to do. There is a fine line with this type of situation. You do not want to go rushing in to a barricaded subject but yet you had better not be standing around outside waiting while people are actively being killed. I understand that the ERT/SWAT training and mindset is somewhat different.
    Dude, you're high on my list of good guys.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    Dude, you're high on my list of good guys.

I think that you might be suprised what's packed away in the trunks of some of the squad cars (and no I am not sharing, unless you run out and need another mag).

Last edited:

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I think that you might be suprised what's packed away in the trunks of some of the squad cars (and no I am not sharing, unless you run out and need another mag).

Very surprised. Indiana LEO's that I know tend to be a pretty deticated and motivated bunch. On calls where inocent people are actively being shot there are going to be a whole lot of LEO's showing up from all over, both on and off duty. And they won't be in a playing mood. Thankfuly I have never been on any of these things. But everyone can be assured that there are plenty of people that will be burning up the roads to get there to do what ever needs done.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    The last posts in this thread made by the LEOs are making me want to start carrying my rifle in my Jeep now...

You should. And where you live especially. LEO's are kind of scarce out that way. It is conceivable that during the right circumstances you might get put to work with your rifle.

Get you a locking gun rack and mount it on your roll bar. Tell me that wouldn't be cool. Hey we are fixing to have some AR gunracks that will be surplus. We are switching over to Caprices and bought a new design. We will no longer have a use for the old ones.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Very surprised. Indiana LEO's that I know tend to be a pretty deticated and motivated bunch. On calls where inocent people are actively being shot there are going to be a whole lot of LEO's showing up from all over, both on and off duty. And they won't be in a playing mood. Thankfuly I have never been on any of these things. But everyone can be assured that there are plenty of people that will be burning up the roads to get there to do what ever needs done.

Just one more HUGE reason to love this state. :)

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I don't know if was you, IRHAM, but someone mentioned carrying a bunch of extra loaded AR mags for when his buds show up with just their two each. A note of caution: Will your mags fit their rifles? I have plenty of good OK Industries and Centerlines. But at the last Owensboro gun show I bought a polymer 20 rounder as I was going out the door. I tried it a couple days later and it wouldn't quite fit either of my lowers. Do you carry the good metal mags that should fit everybody?

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    You should. And where you live especially. LEO's are kind of scarce out that way. It is conceivable that during the right circumstances you might get put to work with your rifle.

Get you a locking gun rack and mount it on your roll bar. Tell me that wouldn't be cool. Hey we are fixing to have some AR gunracks that will be surplus. We are switching over to Caprices and bought a new design. We will no longer have a use for the old ones.

I'd be interested. I haven't found a way to lock the AR to a roll bar yet...

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    The last posts in this thread made by the LEOs are making me want to start carrying my rifle in my Jeep now...
    After the Rural King hold up in the parking lot last Sunday night I got to thinking. I don't know if I would have tried to resist 3 people with my wife by my side. BUT if I had one of my ARs in the vehicle (with 20 round mag, Crimson Trace laser pistol grip, red dot sight on the carry handle and weapon light) I might have thought about going after them as they left. Hey, if one of them turned around and displayed a weapon?????

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana

I am interested in purchasing one of these units. PM me if this is a possibility

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    The Goshen PD took a lot of grief about the NuWood shooting about 10 years ago. They waited for a couple hours to make entry. First guys on the scene apparently heard shots being fired. As I recall an onlooker heard a couple of the officers remark that they weren't going in there.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    Ok it looks like me and Lonnie have dibs. You can ship both to my address to save on shipping cost if that is OK with you Lonnie. I can help with the installation as well. Depending on cost I might want 2 units. Can these be adapted to shotguns or maybe an AK? Do they fit optics?

Wait for me, I am going to see if the department won't buy some. Doubt it but will try. They are always hitting us up for suggestion on equipment. I remember years ago we had them in most squad cars. Also remember an officer reaching down and hitting the trigger...need to say anything else.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Wait for me, I am going to see if the department won't buy some. Doubt it but will try. They are always hitting us up for suggestion on equipment. I remember years ago we had them in most squad cars. Also remember an officer reaching down and hitting the trigger...need to say anything else.

That was the third mistake in a chain, then. Shouldn't it have been unloaded and on safe?

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    That was the third mistake in a chain, then. Shouldn't it have been unloaded and on safe?

I totally agree, but back then when this happened, wel it was stupid. We now carry our weapons (shotguns, patrol rifles) in "cruiser safe mode". Safety on and no rounds chambered. This is stressed in training and by the FTO's

Titanium, our old racks were nothing more than a pole bolted to the floor board standing up with a simple lock on it. They were quickly made by companies following the civil unrest of the 60's and 70's. When I came on the department, they would move them from car to car.

Top Bottom