A useless thread on Toddlers and Gerbils!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    Sorry to hear about Buddy!! but it could be just a shock to his back and he could be fine in a day or two, If you didn't have that guilty feeling you would not be the mother you are!! God gives us all gifts, Mom's is to feel guilty when someone gets hurt and to nurture, Hang in there, If he is eating and drinking I think he will be OK, you might just have to have your husband build him a wheel chair!!! :D

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Sorry to hear about Buddy!! but it could be just a shock to his back and he could be fine in a day or two, If you didn't have that guilty feeling you would not be the mother you are!! God gives us all gifts, Mom's is to feel guilty when someone gets hurt and to nurture, Hang in there, If he is eating and drinking I think he will be OK, you might just have to have your husband build him a wheel chair!!! :D

Guilt is NOT a gift. And as far as I'm concerned he can take it back! :D

I hope you are right and that he'll be fine. I just checked on him and he's chewing away on his toys but right under his nose he has a drip of blood. Not good news. But still praying he's going to make it.

Doug...build something? You must be mistaken.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Oh and did I mention....I'm going to make Doug kill it if it needs to be done. He hates blood. Loves animals. So, maybe THAT will teach him to bring a toddler a gerbil (or whatever he is).

I hope you're kidding, because that's the most vicious thing I've heard in a long while. Malice aforethought, you know?

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    I hope you're kidding, because that's the most vicious thing I've heard in a long while. Malice aforethought, you know?
    Well the thought crossed my mind... I must admit. But NO, I would never. That being said...he's getting an earful FOR SURE. And if he brings any other small creatures with even smaller teeth, home....I WON'T be kidding.
    I've got a couple of empty thread spools and the lid from a travel soap case, if it helps.
    If he won't stay in there, I've got a decent stapler, too.
    Wait...
    That may have gone too far...

That's wrong. YOU are wrong. :):

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I hope you are right and that he'll be fine. I just checked on him and he's chewing away on his toys but right under his nose he has a drip of blood.

Might not be blood. It might be whats called porphyrin. Its a RED secretion that comes from glands that gets released if sick or stressed. It is very common, especially in Rats. Actually, just about 9 days ago, wife and son took his pet rat into the ER off Maplecrest because it wasn't moving his back legs. He would actually drag himself around as if he was hurt. He also acted dizzy. Come to find out all this was due to a ear infection. I guess the hind leg issue was due to it being unsure of its footing and fearful of walking.

Last edited:

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    I hope you are right and that he'll be fine. I just checked on him and he's chewing away on his toys but right under his nose he has a drip of blood.

Might not be blood. It might be whats called porphyrin. Its a RED secretion that comes from glands that gets released if sick or stressed. It is very common, especially in Rats. Actually, just about 9 days ago, wife and son took his pet rat into the ER off Maplecrest because it wasn't moving his back legs. He would actually drag himself around as if he was hurt. He also acted dizzy. Come to find out all this was due to a ear infection. I guess the hind leg issue was due to it being unsure of its footing and fearful of walking.
    THANK YOU for this. Makes me feel a tad bit less guilty.

He's actually in a really playful mood. Still chewing like mad. Only difference is he's a lot slower to get around. He can't crawl in his tubes. AND...he lets me love him. I sat with him for a couple hours tonight just holding him and petting him. He actually fell asleep in my pocket. As much as I hate to admit it, I'm kinda attached to that little fella. Hope he makes it.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    RM good luck with Buddy, I hope he recovers. FWIW, what ever you do, don't let Callie play with him and a turntable at the same time! No, you really don't want to know why that's not a good idea.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    Well folks....the time has come and Buddy is hurt. His back legs will not move but he doesn't seem to be in pain. I called my cousin (a vet tech) to come look at him. He's in good spirits but he drags his back legs. Playing like mad still, eating and drinking. She told me to wait it out a few days to see if he's just swollen and if he's still draggin on, then she will come and get him and her husband will shoot him. Ugh. I don't know what happened. He was in his ball one minute playing and the next laying on his back. Not sure if Callie caused it or if he did. I don't know.
    I hope Buddy makes it, but if he doesn't, you could do what we did when our daughters hamster died. We decided to use this as an opportunity to teach her about death, and the eternal reward of heaven. We put Butchie in a matchbox, dug a hole, buried him, and put a stick cross at the site in the back yard. Next morning, a low flying helicopter went across the property, checking power lines. Our daughter came rushing into our bedroom, threw open the curtains, and proclaimed " Look! they're coming to take Butchie to heaven." I decided a little more explanation was in order!

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    Um...at this point I don't care WHAT it is because it's dying.

It was sold as a gerbil. Nicest gerbil EVER. Gerbils bite...this guy doesn't. I've heard from soneone before it was not a gerbil...no one knows what he is.

THAT is a genuine gerbil...I've sold tons of them...don't always bite, usually nicer then hamsters...you want something that won't bite, you get a rat..only time I've seen a rat actually bite someone was a big black male (rat) bit a drunk guy at my store....but that was a few years ago...my rats loved to be handled, would lick me even.....yeah, I know...rats:rockwoot:

Top Bottom