A question for the experts on this board.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DIRTROAD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    In my mind no way do hand anything to a kid , it is not a toy or show and tell. let his father teach him

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    You guys missed the point. I'm not saying don't teach the correct terminology, but why make this big production about this one common mistake yet ignore countless others?
    Is this anything like when a department ignores countless issues their officers have caused/done and then when they do try to take action, it turns out they can't because they haven't taken action in the past? Is that what makes sense?

So what you're saying is our nitpicking bothers you, but the only part that bothers you is that it's selective - that we're exercising our discretion? You would be happier if every time somebody made a mistake we all piled on and pointed it out?

I prefer the middle-ground, myself.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Me too

:rolleyes:
    Do you know how many people in the military still use the term clips. This clip vs. mag talk ticks me off. You all know what the people who say clips are referring to. At least they aren't mounting their eotech backwards. Geesh so many people have all of this time for nitpicking I bet there's a lot of unsatisfied wives out there.

I'm with you on this Trigger Time. A meeting of those who didn't understand what "clip" meant in this context could be held in a phone booth.

No apology necessary Crampa. These guys owe you the apology!

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    56k warning

I'm with you on this Trigger Time. A meeting of those who didn't understand what "clip" meant in this context could be held in a phone booth.

No apology necessary Crampa. These guys owe you the apology!

46287d1359388388-little-accesory-everyone-should-have-clip-vs-mag1.jpg

attachment.php

magazine_vs_clip.jpg

poster33090609rc9-tm.jpg

Clip_magazine_poster.jpg

hOwV3.jpg

Guess what. Clips and magazines are not the same thing. Quit defending people who think they are.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Do you know how many people in the military still use the term clips. This clip vs. mag talk ticks me off. You all know what the people who say clips are referring to. At least they aren't mounting their eotech backwards. Geesh so many people have all of this time for nitpicking I bet there's a lot of unsatisfied wives out there.

You are 100% correct! I was taught firearm use and safety by my (now deceased) BIL after my father passed on. My BIL (Sergeant) had returned from Normandy carrying a 30 cal bullet next to his heart. Came home with a Silver Star - 2 Bronze and a Purple heart. Didn't (and still don't), think me or anyone else had the right to correct him.

I guess some on here think others are to stupid to know that the removable metal thing that feed bullets into a semi auto handgun is technically called a Magazine. So they have to correct everyone so all will know what the Op is talking about when he says clip. Seems some just read the posts so they can reply with all the errors corrected and feel superior. They apparently don't care about the questions or topic being discussed!

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    46287d1359388388-little-accesory-everyone-should-have-clip-vs-mag1.jpg

attachment.php

magazine_vs_clip.jpg

poster33090609rc9-tm.jpg

Clip_magazine_poster.jpg

hOwV3.jpg

Guess what. Clips and magazines are not the same thing. Quit defending people who think they are.

What the HELL makes any difference to the posting - are you so superior that you think everyone here did not know what part of the handgun OP was referring to with his comment. I damn sure knew - if you don't I have a few gun books I could loan you. Why do people want to correct peoples diction, writing or terminology on the site? I'm quite sure you wouldn't do it face to face - or at least you wouldn't have done it to me twice a few year ago!

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    I guess some on here think others are to stupid to know that the removable metal thing that feed bullets into a semi auto handgun is technically called a Magazine. So they have to correct everyone so all will know what the Op is talking about when he says clip. Seems some just read the posts so they can reply with all the errors corrected and feel superior. They apparently don't care about the questions or topic being discussed!

It isn't "technically" anything. It is a magazine. We use words to describe things. When you use words that describe other things to describe things, you are wrong. There is no argument.

From what I gather from my dealings with you, you are insecure, you project your fears onto others, and you don't understand how language works. Do you see how every word I type has a meaning, and I don't use other words in their place with the assumption in mind that you will understand what I mean?

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    What the HELL makes any difference to the posting - are you so superior that you think everyone here did not know what part of the handgun OP was referring to with his comment?

This is a question. Questions end with question marks.

The difference it makes is that the wrong term was used. When referring to an object, the proper name of said object is required for intelligent discussion. If you told me a bullet was lodged in your barrel, I would assume a bullet was lodged in your barrel, whether or not you thought I would assume you meant a cartridge was stuck in the chamber. I care not about what people meant, or whether anyone understood or not. I care about what was said.

When referring to a handgun, this is a clip:
    100.jpg

So, I read that as he removed the clip and handed it to the child. I do not assume magazine, because if he meant magazine, he would have said magazine.

I damn sure knew - if you don't, I have a few gun books I could loan you. Why do people want to correct peoples diction, writing or terminology on [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] this site? I'm quite sure you wouldn't do it face to face - or at least you wouldn't have done it to me twice a few years ago!

I can assure you that I do correct people in person. If you would like to arrange a meeting, I will correct your use of the English language face to face.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    You are 100% correct! I was taught firearm use and safety by my (now deceased) BIL after my father passed on. My BIL (Sergeant) had returned from Normandy carrying a 30 cal bullet next to his heart. Came home with a Silver Star - 2 Bronze and a Purple heart. Didn't (and still don't), think me or anyone else had the right to correct him.
    While I do care if you have a Silver Star, Purple Heart, are a disabled American Veteran, etc... I do not care who you are if you are going to use the wrong terms to say the wrong things.

If the president himself walked up to me and said, "How big is the clip on your gun?" I would tell him the clip is non-existent and that the magazine holds 15. I would correct you, your friend, the president, a judge, or anybody else that uses the term incorrectly - not to be a jerk, but simply so that they understand they're calling a car a banana, or doors burritos.

I guess some on here think others are to stupid to know that the removable metal thing that feed bullets into a semi auto handgun is technically called a Magazine.
    There is nothing technical about it - it is a magazine.

So they have to correct everyone so all will know what the Op is talking about when he says clip.
    No, we're correcting the poster that used clip in place of magazine so that the poster knows and can correct this errant behavior. It's not for the benefit of everybody else - unless they happen to see the mistake pointed out and avoid doing it in the future.

Seems some just read the posts so they can reply with all the errors corrected and feel superior.
    You're looking at it all wrong - if we just wanted to feel superior we would just let them keep posting the incorrect terms. We want them to at least appear intelligent and educated and, as such, we let them know they've made a mistake so they can avoid making the same mistake in the future and not so that we can feel 'better' than them.

I've made a lot of mistakes in my life and I appreciate when it's pointed out so I can avoid it in the future. I don't, however, have an inferiority complex or 'gets-offended-way-too-easily-itis' so I have no issues with being corrected.

They apparently don't care about the questions or topic being discussed!
    The topic at-hand was still being discussed until somebody got all butthurt about somebody correcting somebody else.

It's not the correction that caused the derailment, but the response to the correction. I guess some people just don't know how to take constructive criticism.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    It isn't "technically" anything. It is a magazine. We use words to describe things. When you use words that describe other things to describe things, you are wrong. There is no argument.

From what I gather from my dealings with you, you are insecure, you project your fears onto others, and you don't understand how language works. Do you see how every word I type has a meaning, and I don't use other words in their place with the assumption in mind that you will understand what I mean?

I didn't realize we had any "dealings", if we did I doubt I would have cared. I don't have any issues with insecurity at all. It's quite obvious you do. An insecure person is one who is constantly trying to correct others - like you.

I have no "fears" and even at my age 71 would laugh in your face for that remark. I really think you wasted a lot of your time criticizing the OP when everyone else here understood exactly what he meant. Language is an ever evolving object - and always has been. The ONLY purpose for any language is to convey ideas and information to others. When that has been done it works.

There are many definitions and names of objects that have been changed in my lifetime. Many you use daily and feel like you are superior because you used the proper name - BullshiX. You probably call your vehicle a car - Automobile is the correct name. A Television is now called a TV. Many military personnel call a Magazine a Clip - My BIL did - and I guarantee he was twice the man you will ever be. By the way I don't make assumptions - they just make an ass out of you and me. I guess the first part of that can be considered true.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I didn't realize we had any "dealings", if we did I doubt I would have cared. I don't have any issues with insecurity at all. It's quite obvious you do. An insecure person is one who is constantly trying to correct others - like you.

I have no "fears" and even at my age 71 would laugh in your face for that remark. I really think you wasted a lot of your time criticizing the OP when everyone else here understood exactly what he meant. Language is an ever evolving object - and always has been. The ONLY purpose for any language is to convey ideas and information to others. When that has been done it works.

There are many definitions and names of objects that have been changed in my lifetime. Many you use daily and feel like you are superior because you used the proper name - BullshiX. You probably call your vehicle a car - Automobile is the correct name. A Television is now called a TV. Many military personnel call a Magazine a Clip - My BIL did - and I guarantee he was twice the man you will ever be. By the way I don't make assumptions - they just make an ass out of you and me. I guess the first part of that can be considered true.

I thought old people were supposed to be kind, chivalrous and respectful? Who knew they could ornry old coots with a temper? :dunno:

Especially as something as silly as correcting people on proper terminology and grammar. If the internet and public school system have done anything it is turn people into lazy slobs not caring much for the language they speak or the people they come into contact with.

At least some of us make an effort to help curb the tide of ignorance and apathy.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Of course there's some people on INGO that are quite likely to start intentionally calling magazines clips just to aggravate others....:naughty:

:D

But to the OP...Yeah, I agree with the consensus...There's plenty of bad things that can happen when one removes a gun from the safety of its holster while out in public. I say good on the guy for trying to satisfy the kid's curiosity but.........

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

Nice burn...wiping away ashes now.:laugh:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Ok. Aside from clip vs mag (don't even get me started)....

I know that the OP was talking about giving the magazine to the kid.
    But I think someone said it would be stupid but not illegal if it was the gun.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it would be illegal in that circumstance.
    Indiana Code 35-47-10
    (source)

IC 35-47-10-5
    Dangerous possession of a firearm
    Sec. 5. A child who knowingly, intentionally, or recklessly:
    (1) possesses a firearm for any purpose other than a purpose described in section 1 of this chapter; or
    (2) provides a firearm to another child with or without remuneration for any purpose other than a purpose described in section 1 of this chapter;
    commits dangerous possession of a firearm, a Class A misdemeanor. However, the offense is a Class C felony if the child has a prior conviction under this section.
    As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.12. Amended by P.L.203-1996, SEC.4.

The exemptions listed are....
    Exemptions from chapter
    Sec. 1. This chapter does not apply to the following:
    (1) A child who is attending a hunters safety course or a firearms safety course or an adult who is supervising the child during the course.
    (2) A child engaging in practice in using a firearm for target shooting at an established range or in an area where the discharge of a firearm is not prohibited or supervised by:
    (A) a qualified firearms instructor; or
    (B) an adult who is supervising the child while the child is at the range.
    (3) A child engaging in an organized competition involving the use of a firearm or participating in or practicing for a performance by an organized group under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code that uses firearms as a part of a performance or an adult who is involved in the competition or performance.
    (4) A child who is hunting or trapping under a valid license issued to the child under IC 14-22.
    (5) A child who is traveling with an unloaded firearm to or from an activity described in this section.
    (6) A child who:
    (A) is on real property that is under the control of the child's parent, an adult family member of the child, or the child's legal guardian; and
    (B) has permission from the child's parent or legal guardian to possess a firearm.
    (7) A child who:
    (A) is at the child's residence; and
    (B) has the permission of the child's parent, an adult family member of the child, or the child's legal guardian to possess a firearm.
    As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.12. Amended by P.L.1-1995, SEC.78; P.L.203-1996, SEC.2.

None of those exemption appear to apply.
    And it doesn't seem to make a difference loaded or unloaded.

Am I right????

Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana

Most people now call them, their plasma, LED or LCD depending on the technology used to create the image. The TV part at the end has been dropped for the most part.....just sayin. :D

Top Bottom