A question for the experts on this board.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Wait, wait, wait a minute...

Was it a Mauser? Who carries a pistol that takes a clip?

I have to be the Nazi here I guess...
    It's a magazine,guns don't carry clips.

Very stupid though.

:rolleyes:
    Do you know how many people in the military still use the term clips. This clip vs. mag talk ticks me off. You all know what the people who say clips are referring to. At least they aren't mounting their eotech backwards. Geesh so many people have all of this time for nitpicking I bet there's a lot of unsatisfied wives out there.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Do you know how many people in the military still use the term clips. This clip vs. mag talk ticks me off. You all know what the people who say clips are referring to. At least they aren't mounting their eotech backwards. Geesh so many people have all of this time for nitpicking I bet there's a lot of unsatisfied wives out there.
    If we're not going to call objects by their names, what's the point of naming objects?

Case in point:
    I put my cookies on, hopped into my banana, and drove down the skate-way. When I got to the dingdong, I walked through the burritos and purchased a 12-pack of ostriches.

Surely you know what I meant by that... so why would I need to use the actual names of the objects I was referring to? What I said does actually describe what I did today, but I'm calling all of the nouns by a name other than what they're actually called.

Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana

If something is incorrect, continuing to do it doesn't suddenly make it correct. The only way to correct it....is to correct it.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    If we're not going to call objects by their names, what's the point of naming objects?

Case in point:
    I put my cookies on, hopped into my banana, and drove down the skate-way. When I got to the dingdong, I walked through the burritos and purchased a 12-pack of ostriches.

Surely you know what I meant by that... so why would I need to use the actual names of the objects I was referring to? What I said does actually describe what I did today, but I'm calling all of the nouns by a name other than what they're actually called.

Except that none of those examples are the same thing. Everyone here immediately knew what he meant when he said "clips". No one uses "banana" in place of "car". A more correct example would be "Kleenex" instead of facial tissue. Not correct, but functionally interchangeable and we all know what is meant.

Seriously, I don't get it. Its like some secret handshake that we're "gun experts" if we know clips aren't the same as magazines, but people never get bent out of shape when folks say "bullets" instead of "cartridge" or "fixed ammunition". I don't think I've ever seen anyone called out for saying "grips" on a revolver instead of "stocks" or spelling it "iron sites" instead of "iron sights". People will play dumb if someone says they have an Indiana CCW but have no problem acknowledging an Indiana Driver's License (which should be Operator License, go ahead and fish it out of your wallet and check).

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Except that none of those examples are the same thing. Everyone here immediately knew what he meant when he said "clips". No one uses "banana" in place of "car". A more correct example would be "Kleenex" instead of facial tissue. Not correct, but functionally interchangeable and we all know what is meant.
    I could have chosen other nouns that were similar but that wasn't the point.

The point is that a clip is not a magazine, and a magazine is not a clip any more than my shoes are cookies or my car is a banana.

Seriously, I don't get it. Its like some secret handshake that we're "gun experts" if we know clips aren't the same as magazines, but people never get bent out of shape when folks say "bullets" instead of "cartridge" or "fixed ammunition".
    Who said I was bent out of shape?

Just illustrating the point a little bit, and wanted some humor along the way so I used 'cookies' instead of galoshes and 'banana' instead of tractor, etc. If you read the sentence and can keep a straight face ... you can do better than me.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone called out for saying "grips" on a revolver instead of "stocks" or spelling it "iron sites" instead of "iron sights".
    Am I to understand your argument as, "If they're too stupid to know better, don't point out the mistake."?

People will play dumb if someone says they have an Indiana CCW but have no problem acknowledging an Indiana Driver's License (which should be Operator License, go ahead and fish it out of your wallet and check).
    Well - the operator of a car is going to inherently be driving by design. It's a license that permits driving - last I checked it doesn't permit something else?

CCW is Concealed Carry - it doesn't permit OC and that's why it's pointed out. Now as far as permit versus license - it is a license that permits you to do something.

Additionally, even our government responsible for issuing and regulating such licenses calls it a "Driver's License" -> http://www.in.gov/bmv/2332.htm / http://www.in.gov/bmv/2363.htm

Last edited:

Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana

Seriously, I don't get it. Its like some secret handshake that we're "gun experts" if we know clips aren't the same as magazines, but people never get bent out of shape when folks say "bullets" instead of "cartridge" or "fixed ammunition". I don't think I've ever seen anyone called out for saying "grips" on a revolver instead of "stocks" or spelling it "iron sites" instead of "iron sights". People will play dumb if someone says they have an Indiana CCW but have no problem acknowledging an Indiana Driver's License (which should be Operator License, go ahead and fish it out of your wallet and check).

They are two completely different devices that operate in completely different ways. I understand the media uses clip for everything, hence non-involved people propagate it. Once learning the difference though, I don't understand the problem with using the correct name.

I didn't know that about my Drivers/Operators license though. I did check mine but it says chauffeur license at the top. Do licenses without that endorsement say Operator?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Heck, if it was 9mm and my kid, I'd tell him to toss the mag to me and we'd both take off running.....yeah, it's that hard to find ammo.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana

I know my wife just got satisfied... That's why I wasn't on INGO for an hour :naughty:

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    I was in a local restaurant last week, and there was a young man open carrying (no problem). There was a table next to his with young people setting at it. A very young man (13 or 14 yrs. old) came from the table next to him and ask if the gun was real. The young man with the gun told him yes it was, and proceeded to pop the clip out of the gun and handed it to the very young man to look at, not real smart. The question is. Is this against the law? How would a Police officer have reacted?

He popped the clip out? Like a belt clip on a Keltec? I'm not tracking here...

Why would examining a belt clip be illegal? I open carry, but I use a holster. Clips are more for quick and easy concealment.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend

Case in point:

That was hilarious. My point exactly. Just beautiful.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend

No, calling tissues "Kleenex" would be like calling magazines "Mec-Gars." Kleenex is a brand name of tissue, not a totally different thing from a tissue.

All of those things you listed bother me. All of them.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    He popped the clip out? Like a belt clip on a Keltec? I'm not tracking here...

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. Instead of just saying "its a magazine, not a clip" you do the pretend ignorance thing. Gosh, I'm so confused that you said "clip" I have no idea what you're talking about.

You guys missed the point. I'm not saying don't teach the correct terminology, but why make this big production about this one common mistake yet ignore countless others?

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    ........ No one uses "banana" in place of "car"..........

photo-of-banana-car-team.jpg

:whistle:

Top Bottom