A question for the experts on this board.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Crampa

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    Plymouth, In.
    I was in a local restaurant last week, and there was a young man open carrying (no problem). There was a table next to his with young people setting at it. A very young man (13 or 14 yrs. old) came from the table next to him and ask if the gun was real. The young man with the gun told him yes it was, and proceeded to pop the clip out of the gun and handed it to the very young man to look at, not real smart. The question is. Is this against the law? How would a Police officer have reacted?

Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    'handed it to the young man'

What did he hand him---the magazine or the gun?

Neither one would be illegal but I would find them both a bit odd, especially if it was the gun.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    It's not Show-and-Tell time. I don't care if it's the gun or the magazine, it's irresponsible to be messing with your gun like that. :xmad:

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Not illegal. Just very stupid. Did he even bother to clear the chamber? :facepalm:

That kid could have turned around and run off with the gun, been mistaken by others to be agressing upon the first guy, etc. It's too bad the kids parents weren't there to ream the guy out.

Last edited:

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    One thing you didn't say is that he cleared the chamber...

Either way, if I were there and saw somebody doing that I'd probably say something about it.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    How would a Police officer have reacted?

Rolled his eyes, just like we all did.

Criminal offense? No, Dangerous Control in the I.C. only applies to firearms, not ammunition.

It's not Show-and-Tell time.

Yeah, doesn't he know show and tell is in the parking lot of the gun store.:laugh:

No, seriously, stop coonfingering guns. Just stop it.

Ok, we all have derringers, let's put them away.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmdLwCGEqCY[/ame]

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    As you can see, OP, none of the guys who have chimed in are experts- I'm the only one so far (see rank under name). It's not illegal but I'd suspect if LEO got involved some legal issue pertaining to minors would come up, maybe even brandishing. None of it would stick, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't happen.

The kid should have pistol or magazine whipped him with it, whichever was the case.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    As you can see, OP, none of the guys who have chimed in are experts- I'm the only one so far (see rank under name). It's not illegal but I'd suspect if LEO got involved some legal issue pertaining to minors would come up, maybe even brandishing. None of it would stick, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't happen.

The kid should have pistol or magazine whipped him with it, whichever was the case.

Some "expert", there are no brandishing laws in Hoosierland! Go back to preaching! :rolleyes: :D

BKExpress

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    Gaston, IN
    Seeing this makes me sad...these types of encounters bring no good and only bad sentiment. This "young man" needed to be pulled by his ear and given a thorough dissertation on why what he did was wrong.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I'm sorry guys he handed him the clip.
    Ah, I would have no issues handing over my spare magazine for a curious young individual to look at - but I wouldn't handle my carry weapon in a public place unless I needed to.

That said, semi-automatic pistols do not take clips they take magazines. Just like your car doesn't take semi tires - they're both rubber that hold air at pressure and suspend a wheel above the ground but you wouldn't call car tires semi tires and vice versa.

Top Bottom