• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I was going to just bump an old thread on this up, but the link to the original story was dead. So, let's try a new one. Since it's the peak of grilling season and there are lots of people new here. If you're grilling this season, (and who isn't, really?) then you need to be cognizant of the dangers of using a metal grill brush. These puppies lose bristles all the time and they sometimes end up in your food....then in you. Having to be operated on to repair the damage a burger did to you would suck. If you're using a wire brush then give it a going over with a cloth or something to wipe any potential bits of wire away. Or use something other than a wire brush. Better safe than sorry.

Not Your Usual Holiday-Danger Warning: Don't Eat the Grill Brush | Science Blogs | WIRED

[video=youtube_share;GR-so52vzy4]http://youtu.be/GR-so52vzy4[/video]

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    Another reason you should wipe down the grates with an oil soaked paper towel or rag after brushing debris off. Lubricates the grates and keeps metal bristles out of you!

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    FYI, every restaurant with a grill also uses metal grill brushes... year-round. This isn't that common of an occurrence that we need to lose sleep over it.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I was more disgusted that the guy in the video was throwing frozen machine-pattied "burgers" on his grill. Why would you do that?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    FYI, every restaurant with a grill also uses metal grill brushes... year-round. This isn't that common of an occurrence that we need to lose sleep over it.
    Actually most restaurants use grill bricks and scrapers, not wire brushes. They also use the scrubbies pads. Restaurants know the dangers of wire brushes in food, they understand the liability and danger. But feel free to go ahead and do what you want.

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    Actually most restaurants use grill bricks and scrapers, not wire brushes. They also use the scrubbies pads. Restaurants know the dangers of wire brushes in food, they understand the liability and danger. But feel free to go ahead and do what you want.

Ummmmm.......I sense you don't know what you're talking about here.

Restaurants use use grill bricks to clean flattop grills, big square griddles. If you use a grill brick on a commercial gas grill it won't work worth a damn. You use a large double sided metal bristle brush to clean those.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I use the brush but always follow with paper towel soaked in vinegar. Really does a nice job of cleaning. I use a heavy duty wire brush from the hardware store instead of the flimsy grill brushes. Doesn't lose nearly as many wires and cleans a lot better.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Excuse my ignorance, I'm not a grilled but want to become one...are you suppose to thaw out frozen patties before you grill them?

I've seen guys just toss frozen patties into the grill...

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Would you cook a chicken breast, pork chop, or a steak without thawing it first? If not, why would you do it to a burger?

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    If you're using frozen patties, you might as well just save your time and money and hit up McDonald's for some $1 McDoubles.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Actually most restaurants use grill bricks and scrapers, not wire brushes.
    Yeah, what the hell would I know? I've only been doing this for 15 years... :rolleyes:

I'll not even bother since Bob summed it up so nicely.

Ummmmm.......I sense you don't know what you're talking about here.

Restaurants use use grill bricks to clean flattop grills, big square griddles. If you use a grill brick on a commercial gas grill it won't work worth a damn. You use a large double sided metal bristle brush to clean those.

:whistle:

dfe6f0c7a0baf8592f952446af0c31fbbae8806f_1_t.jpg

Last edited:

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Excuse my ignorance, I'm not a grilled but want to become one...are you suppose to thaw out frozen patties before you grill them?

I've seen guys just toss frozen patties into the grill...

Don't buy frozen patties to begin with... Ground beef is cheap and I bet you've had the skill-set to make patties since your first experience with Playdoh as a toddler.

Check the ingredients on some of those frozen "burgers" patties to (like JTM) "lips" and "hearts" aren't code words for something delicious.

hamburger-cooking-instructions2.jpg

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Some people use frozen patties (pre-made, unthawed) cause they don't have the time.
    Work a few months of 7 pm to 7 am, 7 days a week, and you're ability to keep fresh food in the house tends to slack.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    (pre-made, unthawed)

Is that thawed or frozen?

It's a matter of priorities and preference I guess. I worked long hours too, for many years, but I'd still rather stop at a grocery on the way home for fresh meat.

Grilling is a true skill and a passion for me, and I've even made some decent money over the years doing it. I can't see putting the time and effort in at home if I'm not using quality ingredients.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I have cooked the frozen patties from GFS when I have done the cooking for about 100 people for our annual neighborhood block party. I have thrown them on my weber with some seasoning mix and they were way better than Mc Donalds. They were not as good as the fresh angus beef patties that we had today with some diced onions in them but still pretty tasty.

Top Bottom