• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I was more disgusted that the guy in the video was throwing frozen machine-pattied "burgers" on his grill. Why would you do that?

Lazy. Yes, it applies to me. Unless I am mixing in stuff like onions and seasoning, I use frozen patties because its easier.

And no, you dont throw frozen chicken on the grill because they are too thick. Frozen patties are no big deal as they thaw quickly because they are thin. I do toss frozen poultry directly on the grill... when I am forced to cook turkey burgers. :):

I wouldn't because I don't buy frozen meat. Nor do I freeze anything.

What a shame. Freezing adds additional tenderizing to the meat by way of what the ice crystals do to the structure of the meat. Knowing the science, I'd take my cow, butcher it, dry age the steaks, then freeze them. That last step while sounding sacrilegious, actually adds additional tenderness to the meat.

And do you ever buy meat in the self serve meat case at the store? Odds are it was frozen for transit and storage. They just thaw it for you so it looks fresh. I have seen the [STRIKE]butcher[/STRIKE] meat dept employee putting them out firsthand. Many are still partially, if not totally frozen.

On a slightly related note... Forget the IQF frozen chicken you buy in the big bags. Make your own cheaper and BETTER! Ever notice that the pieces you get frozen are tiny compared to what you get "fresh"? My wife regularly finds "fresh" boneless chicken breasts on sale for far less per pound than the IQF bagged ones. We take a jelly roll pan, spray it with Pam, then place the "fresh" meat on it so that its not touching any other pieces. Stick that pan in the freezer for 90 minutes or so until its mostly frozen. At that point you can toss all the pieces in a ziplock bag to finish freezing. Thanks to the first step you wont end up with a giant hunk of frozen, amalgamated meat and can pull out individual pieces to cook later just like the more expensive IQF bags.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    memorial-day.jpg

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    How do you make your water stay in cube shapes for drinks?

Have you seen the video of a glass of water, upside down on a table, then the glass is lifted off of it and the water remains suspended in the shape of the glass. It took him a few failed attempts before it worked but was still interesting to watch.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I use one of those grill scraping tools that fits right on the individual grates. Then one of those brill pad things that are made for grills. Add water and dish soap. Then scrub. Works very well and takes about 4 minutes. Let dry in the sun and spray with pam.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I use a vacuum sealer to use on family packs of chicken breast. It is a FoodSaver 8" model. The 8" bags work good for single, double or larger quantities. Just make the bag as long as you wish. We always put two to a pack. Remember to label and date them before filling. Once they are filled with cold products they sweat and marking with a sharpie is almost impossible. The vacuum sealer will pay for itself in no time.

I am thinking about upgrading to the 12" and soloing the 8" to seal up loaded magazines with a desiccant bag. Works good for lose ammo too as long as its not pointed ammo. Once I go to ammo it will no longer be used for food purposes. The 12" will work for the 8" bag as well.

Top Bottom