• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big House

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    i have an American bulldog and she is a great dog. i have also had pits in the past and they are also great dogs. the upside to these breeds is they are short hair low maintenance dogs with a built in kick ass mode. they dont use dobermans, rotts or shepherds in wild boar hunting but they do use american bulls and pitts. there is a reason for this. the bully breeds are very tough, smart, athletic, tenacious and strong enough to take down a wild boar. just my opinion from owning bullys.

Kitty

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Whiting
    I am not positive of this, but with the way my Pit acted when I took her in, it was as if she had been abused/neglected. She was very hand shy and timid. However, she came around and is one of the best dogs I have ever had. She is the anti-stereotype of the breed.

Actually, she probably wasn't abused just moved around or crated a lot. Dogs get confused not having the same person to look to and/or being separated from people. Confusion in dogs eventually becomes fear and fear leads to shyness. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say she really not like that anymore. Believe it or not, people who KNOW Pits will tell you that their loyalty causes this to be worse in the breed.

I've worked with and know many rescue dogs that were "fearful" at first with no prior physical abuse. But dogs are pack animals, and when the pack is always changing or the dog is separated from the pack (living in a crate/kennel) they do suffer mentally. Working at the shelters is the hardest, although the most rewarding thing, I do.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Our German Shepherd has one advantage over our Rot: speed. He outpaces people on bikes and 4-wheelers with ease for extended periods. Not really needed to guard a house, say, but certainly something to think about if you have a reason to need help quickly over a fair distance if you own a good bit of land.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    Just to throw another breed in the mix, Boxer's are very good with children, and fiercely protective of their family's. just make sure you are ready to truly train them... they are intelligent and stubborn!

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    Actually, she probably wasn't abused just moved around or crated a lot. Dogs get confused not having the same person to look to and/or being separated from people. Confusion in dogs eventually becomes fear and fear leads to shyness. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say she really not like that anymore. Believe it or not, people who KNOW Pits will tell you that their loyalty causes this to be worse in the breed.

I've worked with and know many rescue dogs that were "fearful" at first with no prior physical abuse. But dogs are pack animals, and when the pack is always changing or the dog is separated from the pack (living in a crate/kennel) they do suffer mentally. Working at the shelters is the hardest, although the most rewarding thing, I do.
    Knowing where she came from, it wouldn't surprise me if she were abused and/or neglected.

Deacon347

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    BeechGrove
    I have an American Bulldog-Pitbull mix and an American Stafordshire Terrier-Pitbull mix both have been good with all kids that have been over. And neither will let someone in the house without myself or my wife there. (we have had some close calls with friends that didnt know)

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    My bulldog is quite possibly the ultimate guard dog. First, she's low to the ground. Second, she conserves energy by sleeping about 23.5 hours a day, just waiting for the moment that danger calls. Third, if someone approached my house with bad intentions, the sound of her snoring would make them think scarface was inside dismembering people with a chainsaw. Even if they managed to get in, her particular brand of chemical warfare would make cs or cn seem like Chanel. Then, of course there's the distinct possibility of tripping over her in the dark, a clever ploy on her part, for sure. So there you have it. Ultimate guard dog.

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    I have a Siberian Husky. Mine is VERY intelligent and very protective over my family.

He is a good guard dog, BUT not an attack dog.

jsheets1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 12, 2011
    Portage NWI
    I am a bully breed guy. I have a Johnson line American Bulldog, his head is breaking huge. I have watched him pop a tennis ball in one bite. Smart guy too, he learned how to open the fridge..... Anyway the worst doggie I have ever received and I have gotten nipped a few times, was by a Westie Terrier. Won't go near those little suckers now lol. My second choice would be a boxer as someone else posted. They are athletic, large, strong, and smart. As said though they need training. Just get what you fall in love with they will know it and protect thier pack to the death.

Royal-1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Noblesville
    Looks like I'm late to the party on this one, but I'll add my :twocents: to the game.
    The GSD is great, BUT... As the police are now figuring out, they have been over breed and have some very bad genetic traits now. Bad backs, hips, cancer...
    Several police units are going to the Dutch Shepherd breed. They are smaller and easier to handle, and just as good as a GS.
    Look at you tube "Flying Dutch Shepherd" for a good idea of what this breed is able to do.
    Our family loves our rescued Dutchy.
    Good luck, and give which ever dog you get a good home.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Looks like I'm late to the party on this one, but I'll add my :twocents: to the game.
    The GSD is great, BUT... As the police are now figuring out, they have been over breed and have some very bad genetic traits now. Bad backs, hips, cancer...
    Several police units are going to the Dutch Shepherd breed. They are smaller and easier to handle, and just as good as a GS.
    Look at you tube "Flying Dutch Shepherd" for a good idea of what this breed is able to do.
    Our family loves our rescued Dutchy.
    Good luck, and give which ever dog you get a good home.

I can second the defects: our GS has several. You might be able to get by that with a reputable breeder, perhaps? We bought him from a pet store (which we had already said we'd never do for just that reason :rolleyes: puppies are cute, what can I say?)

chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    I currently have a german shepherd. He's 2.5yrs old. Never had any health issues except an ear infection (only gets them in summer) But some drops from the vet cures it.

I'll PM you here in a minute.

But they are SUPER SUPER SUPER smart. How smart?
    I was teaching my dog (Onyxz) to stop at the sidewalk every time before crossing the street. One day after coming from the dog park my neighbor was walking his Great Dane. I told Onyxz to go say hI (which means he can go see the dog). Without me commanding him, he looked both ways (twice) before crossing the street.

Took me 2min to teach him how to shake. He never runs away, even if he sees a dog. He will stop and stare at a squirrel until i give him a command to go chase it. He's great with kids (make sure if you have kids not to mess with the puppy). If they pull his tail and pick him up constantly and carry him like he's a toy- the german shepherd will be afraid of the kids. YOU DONT WANT THIS!

I always tell people NEVER get a german shepherd if you have smalls kids (4-6yrs old). But small babys and what not, then they do great! I have no kids, but i have the kids in the apt complex pet him and he doesnt mind it. He's very mellow- doesnt bark at people or dogs. Only barks at people who knock at the door or are standing outside- but doesnt do it while im nome.

Dude, i can go on and on and on.

My top 3 suggestions would be:
    1. DO NOT get a german shepherd if you can't afford a vet bill. Dogs get sick. I have $600 in a savings account for my dog incase he gets sick.

2. DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT get a German Shepherd if you can't walk him- A BACK YARD IS NOT EXERCISE! Many ppl think because you have a back yard, thats exercise- ITS NOT!
    THEY ARE A WORKING BREED!!!!!!! And NO walking doesn't count as exercise unless it's moderate walking for at least 2hrs.
    They also need to be socialize. IF YOU CAN"T SOCIALIZE YOUR GERMAN SHEPHERD THEY WILL BITE OTHER PPL AND OTHER DOGS!
    Dog parks, family bar b-s, walk at the park, ANYTHING! that is socializing. I can walk him off leash and ride a bike and have bike riders pass me and he doesnt bark at them or chase them.

3. RESEARCH THE BREEDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There are many backyard breeders or puppy mills who want to make a buck for selling german shepherds. 90% of the time, backyard or puppy mill german shepherds have health issues by the time they are 1-2yrs old!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you want a good german shepherd, be ready to drop $800-1200

PM me if you want more advice. BUT I REPEAT!!!!!!!!!! If you can't exercise them 1hrs-1.5hrs a day (7 DAYS A WEEK) don't bother getting a german shepherd. They will find ways to deal with all that energy
    Jumping
    biting
    tearing things up
    barking

Training isn't just at puppy hood, training is all the time! My dog is still in training!

They are GREAT dogs, but if you can't find time for them.....you're going to have a really really really bad problem in your hands.

ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    Stay away from the show line sheperds lots of health problems hips elbows siezures, some are very dog aggessive.

After having the best working line sheperds for years they still fall short in the health catagory, am currantly looking into the malinois , dutchy and even the black mouth cur.

IF any one knows of a good bombproof animal of good lines let me know>

chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Like i said, he needs to research the breeder.

Also, i just came across a new german shepherd breed called KING GERMAN SHEPHERD.

Dakota%20at%20the%20Extravaganza%2010-05.jpg

img-thing

Its like a Matif with german shepherd with some other breed with german shepherd. They look just like a german shepherd, but bigger and with a double coat.

Don't know much about the breed. Just be aware that Mastifs have a temper and so do german shephers- MIx them together and you got double trouble- BUT If they've been breed for a while and the temper has gone down, then they're just like any other german shepherd. Just be aware of what health problems both German Shepherds have and Mastifs.....i can't remember the other breed they have in them.

Anyways. Always research the breeder!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you buy one off the classified ads (GOOD LUCK) i hope they don't get hip displasya

Top Bottom