A Farewell to Arms (Why I jumped off the Glock bandwagon)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I am constantly amazed and amused that the anti-1911 crowd says that a major disadvantage of the 1911 is that there are aftermarket items made solely to increase the accuracy of the 1911.

They then, in the same sentence, claim that one major advantage of a Glock is that there are aftermarket items made solely to increase the accuracy of the Glock.

:dunno:

The most accurate guns are not the most reliable.
    The most reliable guns are not the most accurate.

Horses for courses.

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    If I had to carry a duty weapon and could choose any gun in .40, the Glock 35 would be high on my list.

A duty holster for 35 would be an interesting sight... very long! i have to carry off duty, so a 35 wouldn't fit that bill, haha.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    A duty holster for 35 would be an interesting sight... very long! i have to carry off duty, so a 35 wouldn't fit that bill, haha.

Just carry your Glock 23 off duty. Not had to conceal at all. As far as a duty weapon, I think the KY State Police issues the 35. It would not be hard to carry at all. Only a little longer then a Glock 22 and with the cut out slide not any heavier either.

But the thread is about saying bye bye to Gaston. Maybe you should consider an M&P 40?

msr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 25, 2011
    Indianapolis - Broad Ripple
    After having both an M&P 9 compact and a G19, I have to say that both are excellent weapons. That being said, I prefer the G19 simply because I found the size to be the perfect balance between compact and full size, which means I don't have to have two pistols - one for CC and one for the range/OC. If I was the choose between having an M&P 9/9c combo or a 19/26 or 17/19 combo, the choice would be a little harder to make.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    My wife just settled on my G-19 (NYPD trade in), and applied for her LTCH, I carry the G-27 out and about, but my G-23 is what I should carry 24/7, its the most accurate Glock I own.

windellmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    The latest m&p trigger has major changes. Reset is shorter, over travel is gone, and you get a click on reset. It is comparable to the ghost rocket connector in a glock.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    UPDATE

Well this isn't the kind of update I normally bring, but it happened so I gotta put it out there.

I blew up my M&P. :eek:

Now I'm sure you're all first thinking "OMG were you injured?" :laugh: No, I was not. :yesway:

More unfortunate than having to replace my gun is that the culprit was a round that was reloaded by lovemywoods. As you can imagine, he felt absolutely terrible about the incident and I hope that his confidence in his reloading abilities wasn't shaken too much. Anyone who knows Dad knows how detailed and careful he is with every aspect of his life, so something like this really bothers him. I've shot thousands of his reloads before without incident and will continue to do so. He took the ordeal much harder than I did.

Anyway, I was about 12 or so rounds through a magazine when the gun suddenly leapt from my hands as if someone had hit it with a baseball bat. The magazine blew out, the back half of the casing was ripped from the gun while the front half stayed in the chamber, and the gun fell to the ground in battery. My hands were marked with black powder that had exited between the slide and frame.

Upon the initial inspection at the range nothing was out of place except for the lodged casing rim. It wasn't until we got back up to the house that I noticed the cracked frame. :(

nxkf4j.jpg

We tore the gun apart, manged to get the casing out of the chamber, and inspected everything for further damage. We tracked the path of the exiting gas and it appears the crack in the frame was enough to allow the magazine to blow out but we couldn't find any other damage. I'll probably have a 'smith look at it just to be safe.

Our best guess is that the 9mm round was loaded with 6.0 grains of powder instead of the 3.0 that it was supposed to have. As reloaders know, a 9mm case does have enough room for a double charge.

So I'll be calling S&W to first see what they can do, if anything. From there I'll start looking for another M&P9. It sucks, but it is what it is. I'm only attached to the utility that this gun provided so surprisingly I'm not that worried about it.

Many thanks to the INGOers who loaned me their guns so that I'm not pistol-less for the time being. :ingo:

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Many thanks to the INGOers who loaned me their guns so that I'm not pistol-less

Glad you are OK..Don't let your Dad take it "To Heart"--When that many loads are made+shot, things CAN happen.

FWIW: I may?? have an extra to loan you-NOT a M&P--JUST a Glock..HA HA...Bill.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    First of all, glad you were not hurt.

Second, have you considered that this was a case of firing out of battery and not necessarily an overloaded charge? Given what you described about only half the case being stuck inside the chamber and that it sounds like most of the pressure was directed down through the magwell, I would suspect that the round fired when the gun was not fully in battery. It's not supposed to happen, but sometimes it does.

More unfortunate than having to replace my gun is that the culprit was a round that was reloaded by lovemywoods. As you can imagine, he felt absolutely terrible about the incident and I hope that his confidence in his reloading abilities wasn't shaken too much. Anyone who knows Dad knows how detailed and careful he is with every aspect of his life, so something like this really bothers him. I've shot thousands of his reloads before without incident and will continue to do so. He took the ordeal much harder than I did.

Anyway, I was about 12 or so rounds through a magazine when the gun suddenly leapt from my hands as if someone had hit it with a baseball bat. The magazine blew out, the back half of the casing was ripped from the gun while the front half stayed in the chamber, and the gun fell to the ground in battery. My hands were marked with black powder that had exited between the slide and frame.

Upon the initial inspection at the range nothing was out of place except for the lodged casing rim. It wasn't until we got back up to the house that I noticed the cracked frame.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Second, have you considered that this was a case of firing out of battery and not necessarily an overloaded charge?

We did consider that. But wouldn't such a thing release the gas upward through the ejection port rather than down through the magwell? Neither of us are well-versed in major malfs like this.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    We did consider that. But wouldn't such a thing release the gas upward through the ejection port rather than down through the magwell? Neither of us are well-versed in major malfs like this.
    Had it have been a double charge, I think it would've done way more damage.

Looks like a FOOB to me.

Top Bottom