• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The biggest issue for me in my location is Trees can be sparse. North Central Indiana, you know the part that is Flat with lots of Corn Fields... :):

The little patches of Woods up here are not going to be the safe haven they are South of Indy... :(

My technique is less running and more just avoidance...
    I like the Grey Man Approach Blend in with the masses and disappear.

Of course. Avoid is best. That might be hard if forced to travel with the woman.

Dirc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Noblesville
    I always wonder how many people that pack fishing kits are good fisherman. Because I don't think catching fish will be as easy as people think. Especially when you sucked at fishing to begin with. Thus the reason I carry rat traps. Catch me some squirrels while I am doing other stuff. Lazy, what can I say.- George

You'd probably like these, you can get 12 for $30 and distribute them around. Great for lakes/ponds or some of the more slowly moving parts of rivers or streams. I fish Reelfoot Lake in TN every spring and have great luck with them. Tie them off to a dock, tree branch, etc and let the hook hang in the water. It'll pull a fish right up to the surface where you just come along and collect and reset.

DCM8513

Marksman
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    The last time I used a hammock was in 1976 on a dirt bike trip in northern MN. They are pretty much ass freezing cold in any season but summer.
    I was wondering about that. Just used my "self inflating" sleeping pad for the fist time with my 0 deg. sleeping bag. It got down to about 30 and i was pretty warm. Sleeping pad made all the difference.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    If you use the hammock below 60 degrees at night you need a pad underneath you, or better yet a quilt or PL hanging snug under the hammock to insulate you. If the wind is blowing, you need a windbreak or tarp to be really comfortable. That said, I carry one in my UL backpack setup because it ROCKS to take a nap in or sit in after trekking up and down mountains all day long. At night it just keeps my stuff off the ground. On a trip to Yellowstone a few years ago it was a highly coveted item because it was so much more comfortable than sitting on a log, stump or rock.

But as part of my 10 items, no way.

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    The last time I used a hammock was in 1976 on a dirt bike trip in northern MN. They are pretty much ass freezing cold in any season but summer.

I had mine out for a 24 hour trip between Christmas and New Years a few months ago, and with a nice little fire and a tarp, it was nice and cozy. Temps got down to about 28 degrees, but we were nestled in the woods a ways away from the wind.

DCM8513

Marksman
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Im reposting bc i think i took the ten items a little too literally.

1. Large Tarp
    2. Lots o paracord
    3. Fire starting kit
    4. Canteen with canteen cup
    5. 5 gal. water bag
    6. Hand saw
    7. Kabar
    8. AR with full mags
    9. Sleeping bag
    10. First aid kit

Bag weighs a ton but were talking long term here. Id rather be comfortable when i get to my bol rather than on the way to it.

PapaScout

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 30, 2008
    Live in Wilbur, Work in Indy
    1 Hand axe
    2 Fire striker
    3 Sleeping bag
    4 Bivvy
    5 3-mil plastic sheeting
    6 Metal bowl
    7 Camp shovel
    8 Flavor pack (spices, sugar, honey)
    9 COFFEE :D
    10 First aid kit

Pistol and pocket knife are assumed, right? I'd grab the 22 mag rifle and ammo unless those have to be part of my 10 items - then drop the first aid kit and flavor pack.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county

this is not true at all. I have slept outside in my hammock down to 30 w/ no under quilt. just like anything in this world you just have to do it right.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    To whittle my bag down to 10 items would mean leaving the wife behind. Just could not happen unless it were fire, flood or both. Now that I have said that a flood will wash away my burning house.
    As to the hammock. My BOB has 2 tarps and the 100% wool blankets. With the para cord and some engineering some sort of wind breaking, fire retaining, somewhat comfortable shelter could be erected. Just a thought.

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    As to the hammock. My BOB has 2 tarps and the 100% wool blankets. With the para cord and some engineering some sort of wind breaking, fire retaining, somewhat comfortable shelter could be erected. Just a thought.

That's exactly what we do if the weather is expected to be below 35/40 degrees or so. It works out quite well.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    Lots of good discussion. Even though I did put it out there, but the way that I envisioned this was from the standpoint of going to the woods close to where you live right now. Here in the NE, it is a bit chilly right now. I always say that most people are a night in the woods away from death, especially in the winter.

I'm sure that most peoples thoughts turned to their EDC, especially 1st Line Gear (items carried in your pockets on your belt). I never leave the house without my keys so I find that at good place to carry redundant pieces of gear. On my keys you will find-

BSA Fire Starter
    Gerber Artifact
    2 Photon Lights (one white/one black)
    Wardog Knife Sharpener
    Whistle

This gives me four of the 10 essentials just on my key ring. When I told my son to write his list the first thing he said "does my essentials pouch count as one?" Consider putting an essentials bag together with at least the following.

1. Whistle
    2. Knife/Multitool
    3. Fire Starter w/tinder
    4. Stainless Steel Water Bottle
    5. Headlamp
    6. Clothing -Wind / Waterproof garment/gloves/bandanna
    7. First Aid Kit
    8. Food
    9. Cordage
    10. Heavy duty space blanket

If you have other things on your list besides these then add them, but this makes a great kit supplement a bigger one.- George

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    As I do HVAC service for a living I always have on my belt...Gerber Multi-Tool, 4" Lock blade
    knife, AA Batt. Mag-Lite. Never considered these part of any kit as they are with me always.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    As I do HVAC service for a living I always have on my belt...Gerber Multi-Tool, 4" Lock blade
    knife, AA Batt. Mag-Lite. Never considered these part of any kit as they are with me always.
    That is your EDC (Every Day Carry)...

My EDC...
    1. Surefire E1e Light
    2. Bic Lighter
    3. SpyderCo Endura 4 wave
    4. Wallet, no money in it (I am Married and not allowed to have any)
    5. Fullsize Semi-Auto Pistol, usually a Sig P226(357 Sig) or a Sig P220
    6. Folding Utility Knife
    7. Pliers
    8. Klein 10-1
    9. 8" Crescent Adjustable Wrench
    I am sure I am forgetting something. I am just to lazy to get out of the recliner to look in my pants...

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well, yes. I too have

1. Empty wallet (Married and just broke)
    2. A Bic lighter
    3.Full size semi-auto hand gun usually a .45 ACP with 2nd Mag or wheel gun in .44 special..(Dress occasions) with speed loader
    4. The a fore mentioned items plus I raise you some pocket lint.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Ok I guess I will play..

Since the thread has fractured into an EDC Pocket dump, here is my EDC, sorry it is a little blurry.. Oh and when I took the photo I forgot to take off my belt and the Leatherman Wave that is on it..

IMAG0032-1.jpg

As for the bag and 10 items.

Bag
    bottled water (2-3 half liters)
    purification straw
    small FAK with meds
    fire kit (altoids tin sealed with electrical tape, matches, troxane tablets, lint)
    paracord
    tarp
    saw
    MRE's (at least two stripped down and taped shut)
    Clif Bars (at least 3-4 bars, blocks and or builder)
    spare ammo for EDC pistols

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    Ohhhhh, now I see we get to take our "essentials' bag plus what's in our pockets.

I keep a small belt pouch bag with me that has a lighter, firesteel, army heat tab, fox whistle, wire saw, gerber sharpner, 25' of 550, 6' of duct tape, plastic emergency poncho, photon LED light, emerrgency space blanket, 3" MORA fixed blade, SAK, Nylon 1 Qt. waterproof bag, fishing kit, and a compass. It weighs little and is the minimum I take when on a hike in the woods or leave my main pack on a backcountry trip to explore the area.

On any work day I have on me a tactical flashlight, 2 extra mags, cuffs, Sogzilla folder, impact weapon, SIG 229 and maybe a BUG, wallet, phone, watch, pen, pad, keys with blue LED light. The car is loaded with gear, including exta clothes, shovel, and emergency and tactical gear.

I took the original literally, assumed clothing and water issues were out of play. Good exercise anyway, George!

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    this is not true at all. I have slept outside in my hammock down to 30 w/ no under quilt. just like anything in this world you just have to do it right.
    I am not talking warm temps like 30 and no wind. I have done it in colder temps with very little. I have camped in 50 below temps, not windchill, just them temperature. I know how to camp in extreme conditions for days at a time.

I have also used hammocks in seasons outside of summer. The point is if you are going minimal, it pays to plan. The other day at sunrise, it was 30 here and the windchill was 15. Today the day started at 31, no wind, no snow. Now, at 2:33pm temp is 22, windchill is 7 and it has been snowing since 9am.

If you sleep in a hammock, you are bascially saying you expect the weather to be static. I have slept in shelters that were made when the temp was in the 50's, sunny and no wind and woke up to 20's and 6" of snow on the ground and wind blowing.

If you need 3 to 4 times as much under you as you do over, this requires a metric ton of gear to truly survive all possible weather scenarios and then there is rain. Yeah you can put a tarp over your hammock, BTDT too. You can also lay it on the ground, fold it and stuff it full of insulating material and put heated rocks under that too. All of this under a shelter that takes very little time to build.

Hammocks are jungle gear, certainly not for open ground either.

Top Bottom