• fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    What is the hammock for?

PS because the stream will destroy the net. you build a funnel and then move the fish down stream, towards it, place the net there at the neck down.

Clever idea with the hammock, I was thinking more along the lines of those nylon hammocks that are basically a sheet you hang from trees.

DCM8513

Marksman
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    My first survival knife was a hatchet and I hated my Dad for doing that to me, I wanted a big A** knife, but I certainly learned to use the hatchet.

They are some what limited compared to a 7" to 9" heavy blade as seen in many popular survival knives. I keep a BK1 Brute strapped to my E&E pack and BK7 in my truck door. I bought them back in the day when they really were cheap. For the weight, a knife like this goes farther than a hatchet.

In the past ive always used a knife to split fire wood (camping). Not bad most of the time but ive run into situations where i needed to split a decent amount of logs (water logged or coated in ice from ice storm requiring more kindling). I was thinking about picking up one of these estwing hatchets in hopes that it might reduce time taken to split. Is the hatchet much easier or should i stick to the knife?

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    Zoub - I agree a fishing kit is dependent on your skills. I've travelled with a pack rod, nets and other items all over the world in my travel kit and try to catch fish every place I can. Caught a chub in the canal next to the forbidden city in Beijing one night on a prince nymph. Since I am not a drinker or skirt chaser (apart form my wife) it keeps me busy. My fish kit includes two 12' lengths of gill net with 2" or 3.5 " holes, some heavy line for trot lines, assortment of lures, flies and jigs and hooks. It is a food collection kit.

As far as traps, the connibear 110 would be my choice over a rat trap. That thing is so strong it will last your lifetime and you can catch anything from small game to turkey to fish in it. The rat traps seem too flimsy to last long. I keep a dozen aircraft grade "hog snares" which would catch deer just fine in a survival situation where the legal issue was moot. Trapping and gill netting are a great way to gather w/ less energy and time expended.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    Because of the amount of energy needed to use, likelihood of injury, weight, and precision I would opt for a saw over a hatchet, specifically this one.

Also take a look at your list. If it is important enough to be there than it is important enough to have the best you can afford. Especially for fixed blade knives.

So lets list the "categories" that keep coming up. Feel free to cut and paste this to do so if I miss anything.

Fixed Blade Knife
    Waterproof Material
    Pistol
    Cordage
    Fire Starter
    Metal Container

- George

Last edited:

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    I have a lot of time on an axe and a hatchet, taught by my father who grew up on a farm /fishing village in northern Norway. I am pretty comfortable with one. Anytime you are out in the woods by yourself you need to think things through and be safe before you act, no one is there to bail you out (thanks to Bradford Angier for driving this home!).

That said, the OP was 'undetermined time IN THE WOODS". The axe is an essential tool in the woods and to me the Estwing is a good compromise in length and handiness. I can still fell trees and split firewood but it is small and light enough to travel with and swing in tight areas. It is very tough and the handle will not melt in a fire. The silky saw is something of a luxury item but with only 10 items, you are going to be bushcrafting a lot and the saw lets you cut notches with some precision.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    What bag and what are your 10 most important things, how much does your bag weigh?
    OK, I'll play...

I have 2 different Go Bags(Winter and Summer)...
    I use a Spec-Ops T.H.E. Pack

1. Bedroll (8' x 8' Canvas Tarp, 2 GI Ponchos, 2 Woobies, 8-10' pieces of 550 cord, 4-25' pieces of 550 cord)
    2. MSR Whisperlite International Stove in an Alpine Pot with an 11 oz Bottle.
    3. IFAK (2 CAT, 2 Izzy, 4 Compressed Gauze, Med Tape, Band-Aids, Aspirin, Sharpie)
    4. SOG Tomahawk
    5. 6 Cliff Bars
    6. 1 MRE
    7. 6 AR Mags
    8. 3 Liters of Water
    9. Weapons Cleaning Kit
    10. Fishing line

My Winter go bag has the addition of 1 set of silk weights, a pair of heavy weight poly pro, and a pair of heavy fleece gloves.

Call it what 20 pounds of the summer kit, and 25 for the winter one...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I started using hammocks last spring...wow do they do wonders for your back/joints compared to the ground. They are lightweight and fold up small a a bonus. :rockwoot:

Hammock keeps you off the ground in cold or wet conditions. I need to look into a couple of good ones. Great idea. Who likes what and where do I find them.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Item#1 in that bag would be my survival kit, which houses many more items. I cheat to win and win by cheating.

We have to play fair......WTH

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    axe and a hatchet
    Bradford Angier
    Estwing / handle will not melt in a fire.
    The silky saw
    I keep a Silky Pocketboy in a sheath with a Hori-hori knife and a pair of anvil pruners. I use that kit every week year round. The Pocketboy was an upgrade to the $10 Fiskars saws I keep in everything. Someone in INGO put me on to the Pocketboy 2 years ago.

No tools that will melt in a fire go in my gear.

I always have a big knife and a saw. My next choice would be between a Hori-Hori knife and hatchet. If I really want to wreck some sh** then a glock shovel and a rock hammer go in the pack also. I find an Estwing rock hammer is rather versatile. So is an Estwing Carpenter's hatchet. That is the tool I want in my truck kit next.

WWBAD?

Least used tool in the past 20 years. The little plastic handled Fiskars hatchet. WHAT was I thinking when I bought that finger masher. I just use it in the garden or for cleaning game now, it washes off great.

ggglobert9

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    Ft Wayne
    Heck all that fancy stuff and you guys are missing the most important piece of the puzzle...You won't need all that other heavy stuff. Just put the in a baggy and use some of that fancy paracord and carry it around your neck!
    IMAG0136.jpg

sbsg2005

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2011
    1 sleeping bag
    2 hatchet
    3 fishing kit
    4 fire starting kit
    5 9x12 tarp
    6 flash light
    7 traps
    8 para cord
    9 550 count box 22lr
    10 expanded first aid kit

then have the wife and kids grab the other 40 along with what is carried on our persons (knifes, multi tools, IFAK, rifles, pistols.....) It actually would not be much different from our BOBs minus a few things.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Not a Fan of Hammocks. Makes it kinda hard to disappear when you are laying in something about waste high... :dunno:

Agreed. I would make a loud thud if I had to roll out quickly. Then there would be the moaning and crying.
    Seems like a comfort item that the wife would appreciate if conditions warranted

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    Sam, you have skills and use proper seasoning, you only need one more thing. Say hello to my little friend. I call it my "Prison Tricks" filet knife.

I think you may like this one.

That right there is sweet money. Can anyone say "shank". I end up taking a lot of extra time to fillet with a standard knife, making it very difficult. But, trying to save weight/space. You have inspired me.

What is the hammock for?

As others have already mentioned, it is for sleeping. Up off the ground and dry, and so much easier on the back/joints, which is the real winning argument for me. Not a necessity, but its light and small enough to pack to make it worth it. Figure I might as well making roughing it easier. :cool:

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    Not a Fan of Hammocks. Makes it kinda hard to disappear when you are laying in something about waste high... :dunno:

I understand your point, and it is a good one. Obviously you need trees (or two sturdy objects within a reasonable proximity), so these are mainly for wooded areas where you would likely be stringing up tarps and stuff anyways, so no more/less concealment. In the event you are in a situation where more concealment is necessary, simply leave it in the bag and don't deploy it. Having it makes it easy to adjust to conditions, and sleep comfortably when the environment allows it.

Agreed. I would make a loud thud if I had to roll out quickly. Then there would be the moaning and crying.
    Seems like a comfort item that the wife would appreciate if conditions warranted

You would be surprised how easy they are to get in/out of....after some practice of course. My first 3 or 4 times I ended up spinning or on the ground, but once you get used to it, its just like rolling out of bed.

As you mention though, it is a luxury, and I believe most of us (at least I do) that carry them understand this. It is certainly not a necessity, but makes it much easier on my back/joints, so I will take advantage of that when I can and when conditions allow. If conditions don't allow it, so be it, I am no worse off and can just leave it where it is stored.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My age and creaky joints make a hammock sound good. My wife would do better in one as well. The run and hide thing mentioned by Jeremy is an issue of course but not much running from me any more. I might drop and roll a short way but not much running. I have adopted a stand and return fire survival tactic. Getting old sucks. It is truly for the strong and the brave.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I understand your point, and it is a good one. Obviously you need trees (or two sturdy objects within a reasonable proximity), so these are mainly for wooded areas where you would likely be stringing up tarps and stuff anyways, so no more/less concealment. In the event you are in a situation where more concealment is necessary, simply leave it in the bag and don't deploy it. Having it makes it easy to adjust to conditions, and sleep comfortably when the environment allows it.
    The biggest issue for me in my location is Trees can be sparse. North Central Indiana, you know the part that is Flat with lots of Corn Fields... :):

The little patches of Woods up here are not going to be the safe haven they are South of Indy... :(
    My age and creaky joints make a hammock sound good. My wife would do better in one as well. The run and hide thing mentioned by Jeremy is an issue of course but not much running from me any more. I might drop and roll a short way but not much running. I have adopted a stand and return fire survival tactic. Getting old sucks. It is truly for the strong and the brave.
    My technique is less running and more just avoidance...
    I like the Grey Man Approach Blend in with the masses and disappear.

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    The biggest issue for me in my location is Trees can be sparse. North Central Indiana, you know the part that is Flat with lots of Corn Fields... :):

The little patches of Woods up here are not going to be the safe haven they are South of Indy... :(

Understood! That can be a problem. Obviously I have to get their first, but most of my usage is currently and would be taking place in Ohio or Tennessee, where the woods goes on for miles in every direction.

Top Bottom