• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    You have five minutes to put 10 things into a bag to live in the woods for an unknown period of time. What bag and what 10 things. Exclude water and clothes- George

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    What bag and what are your 10 most important things, how much does your bag weigh?

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    I'll play. ;)

You said forget water, so I am excluding my water filter (but that would be one of my items for sure). My pistol and 3 mags would already be on my side, but I would likely try to grab a rifle (AR or 10/22), but that won't fit in your bag. So, here we go:

1.) Flashlight
    2.) Good Knife
    3.) Pre packed kit with Firesteel, paracord, snare wire, and small fishing kit
    4.) Tarp
    5.) Mess Kit
    6.) Soup Cup (stainless cooking/drinking cup)
    7.) Emergency Blankets
    8.) Pre packed food rations
    9.) Pre packed Med / Trauma and Cleanliness Kit
    10.) Edible Plant/Survival Guide

DCM8513

Marksman
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    I'll just grab my Go bag and save myself 4 minutes...

Me too...but if for whatever reason my go bag was unavailable, id grab a large duffel bag and...

1. Large tarp
    2. Paracord
    3. Flint
    4. Compressed trioxane tablets
    5. Small hand saw
    6. Canteen with canteen cup (does this count as 2?):dunno:
    7. Kabar
    8. 5 Gal. water carying bag
    9. AR
    10. Top the rest off with 5.56

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    So Tech Micro pack-

Warbonnet Outdoors Blackbird Hammock
    Warbonnet Outdoors Superfly Tarp
    100% wool USGI blanket
    Heavy Duty Space Blanket
    Treeman Knives Recon Hunter
    Guyot Stainless Steel water bottle
    300 feet of bank line
    Light My Fire firestarter
    Petzl Headlamp
    2 Rat Traps

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I'll just grab my Go bag and save myself 4 minutes...
    I will grab my bag and save 4.5 minutes.

For the record, very few people are even allowed to touch my bags, let alone grab them or even see them.

My Bag would either be the Kifaru claymore pouch which holds line 1 gear and/or the E&E bag it is attached to. Or a larger bag which I could/would attach both to, say a Camelbak BFM. So I could count the Claymore pouch/E&E pack set up as one item.

Item#1 in that bag would be my survival kit, which houses many more items. I cheat to win and win by cheating.

Item #2 Pelican Case based "handgun field kit"

Item #3 Wiggy sleeping bag

Point is, if I can gather it and assemble it for carry inside of 5 minutes, it fits your rules. Don't hate me for being organized.

Last edited:

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    I will grab my bag and save 4.5 minutes.

For the record, very few people are even allowed to touch my bags, let alone grab them or even see them.

My Bag would either be the Kifaru claymore pouch which holds line 1 gear and/or the E&E bag it is attached to.

Item#1 in that bag would be my survival kit, which houses many more items. I cheat to win and win by cheating.

You can fondle my bag next time I am in town.:laugh: Touch my stuff I will kill ya. Call me Francis and I will kill ya. Settle down Francis.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    I would just take the bag I have packed, but if not......5 minutes?

Pack - Large GI OD Green duffel with shoulder straps
    1)Whelen tarp tent
    2) Exped Down 7 mat
    3) Lafuma 2k sleeping bag
    4) Leatherman super tool
    5) FAK - this has a lot of things including salt.
    6) Estwing Axe
    7) Travel fishing kit
    8) Fire kit
    9) Silky Folding saw
    10) CZ452 & ammo

There is a lot to desire in these choices, but they should allow me to make the other thngs I need. The large duffel is to haul things in besides the original 10. The first thing to make would be a metal container to cook in and boil water. An old cofee can, pop can, etc would have to do. I can make cordage, but would like to "liberate" some telephone wire for snares and other uses on my way to the woods. I could have brought a food item, but it would just prolong the inevitable. Either you will be able to fish/hunt/gather enough or not.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    I always wonder how many people that pack fishing kits are good fisherman. Because I don't think catching fish will be as easy as people think. Especially when you sucked at fishing to begin with. Thus the reason I carry rat traps. Catch me some squirrels while I am doing other stuff. Lazy, what can I say.- George

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    I like the rat traps and carry a couple in all my bags. during the depression trappers had much more success than folks just hunting. I actually use my little fishing kit and have had a lot of great results from big blue gills to small bass ect. and double your chances. while your traps are working, your out fishing just in case they come up short.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I always wonder how many people that pack fishing kits are good fisherman. Because I don't think catching fish will be as easy as people think. Especially when you sucked at fishing to begin with. Thus the reason I carry rat traps. Catch me some squirrels while I am doing other stuff. Lazy, what can I say.- George
    Fishing kits are a waste of time for most but since I am an extraordinary fisherman I do have the items needed to do it but not taking up space in my basic survival kits.

I use 2 things:

A small kit that allows me to rig a flippin' pole in the field. I know of no way faster to gather food fish while on the move.

A film can based trot line kit when I stop moving.

Of course hooks, jigs, wire leader.

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield

I am an avid fisherman, and have been successful both under normal conditions (pole, tackle box, etc) and with hobo-style fishing. I have also had plenty of outings where I didn't catch a thing, which is somewhat rare, but happens to all fisherman.

I have a large prescription pill bottle that houses my entire fishing kit. It is extremely small and lightweight, but includes: line, hooks, weights, some plastic lures, jigs, etc. Worth the space/weight in my book.

I have practiced and fished this setup using nothing but an empty water bottle or small stick that floats, and my bare hands. In the mountains of TN last year, we ate two fish for dinner that night over the campfire with some cajun seasoning. :rockwoot:

watwill79

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    greenwood
    survival knife
    fire kit
    emergency blanket
    tarp
    Edible Plant/Survival Guide
    flash light
    Pre packed food rations
    9mm/ammo : )
    first aid kit
    water purification kit

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Someone mentioned the Estwing axe. I have one of the Estwing camp axes. Haden't planned on using it, but ended up doing so for some splitting last fall. Wow. Splits like a michigan bit, and cuts like a knife. Later used it to cut down a leaner, and it ate the thing up like butter. They're a little salty for my cheapo tastes, but I'd say the Estwing camp axe is something you really oughta consider for your BOB.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I am an avid fisherman,

over the campfire with some cajun seasoning. :rockwoot:
    Sam, you have skills and use proper seasoning, you only need one more thing. Say hello to my little friend. I call it my "Prison Tricks" filet knife.

I think you may like this one.

232323232%7Ffp63599%3Enu%3D4548%3E98%3B%3E255%3EWSNRCG%3D343472377%3B346nu0mrj

Reverse the handle

232323232%7Ffp6354%3B%3Enu%3D4548%3E98%3B%3E255%3EWSNRCG%3D34347474%3C4346nu0mrj

packs nice and flat

232323232%7Ffp635%3A7%3Enu%3D4548%3E98%3B%3E255%3EWSNRCG%3D3434723782346nu0mrj

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Someone mentioned the Estwing axe. I have one of the Estwing camp axes. Haden't planned on using it, but ended up doing so for some splitting last fall. Wow. Splits like a michigan bit, and cuts like a knife. Later used it to cut down a leaner, and it ate the thing up like butter. They're a little salty for my cheapo tastes, but I'd say the Estwing camp axe is something you really oughta consider for your BOB.
    My first survival knife was a hatchet and I hated my Dad for doing that to me, I wanted a big A** knife, but I certainly learned to use the hatchet.

They are some what limited compared to a 7" to 9" heavy blade as seen in many popular survival knives. I keep a BK1 Brute strapped to my E&E pack and BK7 in my truck door. I bought them back in the day when they really were cheap. For the weight, a knife like this goes farther than a hatchet.

Top Bottom