9mm vs. .45 15 experts give their opinion.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    If I were in a room, awaiting 5 whatever, and only had 5 shots, I'll take the .45, everytime, as long as it is MY gun.....

Shoot each one once, after the 5th one, go back and stomp them into another place, and time !!!!!

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Due to a bit of Injun DNA I am unable to grow a beard...I won't shave my head because my hair is all there (and just a grey hair or two) and I am over 50 and am kind of proud of that fact...None of my T Shirts are black and very, very, very tight..........And worst sin of all???? I daily carry a five shot revolver..(or two..) I am going to get killed ain't I????
    I dunno; how good ARE you with what you've got? Besides, if you're carrying a revolver (or two) that means 5-10 rounds (min) which is what my G30 holds. And are you satisfied with what you've got in the cylinder or do you have another reload somewhere on your body? (That could bring you up to (10 - 15 rounds) almost as much as a G19. Of course, I read an article where a Sheriff Deputy used all three of his G21 magazines in a gunfight and hit his opponent something like 14 times before the guy succumbed. That's just having a bad day.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I dunno; how good ARE you with what you've got? Besides, if you're carrying a revolver (or two) that means 5-10 rounds (min) which is what my G30 holds. And are you satisfied with what you've got in the cylinder or do you have another reload somewhere on your body? (That could bring you up to (10 - 15 rounds) almost as much as a G19. Of course, I read an article where a Sheriff Deputy used all three of his G21 magazines in a gunfight and hit his opponent something like 14 times before the guy succumbed. That's just having a bad day.

Being jacked up into Orbit around the moon will have that effect regardless.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Being jacked up into Orbit around the moon will have that effect regardless.

Yeah, I know a guy who works quite often on drug related cases and such. The things he has told me about guys being on meth and a few other drugs and what it takes to put them down is pretty crazy!

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    A .45 may be better than a 9mm, but a 9mm Glock is better than a .45 1911!

:p
    oh ouch! You 1911 guys can go home now. (and I was worried that my angry porcupine post might be over the top.)

One thing you can't do with either is pull porky quills out of your ass. Carry forceps or pliers with your gun. Glock guys, add a hammer too, 1911's totally win that category.

PS this thread is exactly why you NEED more then one shotgun or AR. If you are sitting in a room waiting on 5 guys with dull knives, your tactics suck but at least have a long gun and someone down the hall with one too! I forget who posted 7.62 trumps both, but yeah, what he said.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Not only that, he doesn't practice and train with what he carries.

I am all about training how you fight, but I don't see this as a bad idea. If you think a .45 is a better defense round, but you are 70 years old and have been shooting for 55 years and are banged up, doing your practice with 9mm in a gun that is similar to what you carry makes sense. Where it becomes a problem in my mind is when you practice/train/compete with a full size semi-auto and then carry a j frame.

sbu sailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    South of Center...
    Finally all the proof I was looking for to justify me carrying a 9mm.

Why do you need someone else's opinion to justify your choices? (Yes, those are opinions, not proof or fact in that article.) We do what we do because we want to. Searching for justification from some "opinions" will leave your argument lacking. Simply do what you prefer and damn what anyone else thinks! Cain slew Abel with a rock, what caliber was it? :stickpoke:

Top Bottom