9mm vs. .45 15 experts give their opinion.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    I loved the reason from the one guy that picked .45acp.

Ken Hackathorn (Affiliation: Alias Training & Security Services; Position: Former U.S. Army Special Forces Small Arms Instructor; Gunsite Instructor (retired); NRA Police Firearms Instructor (ret.); FBI Certified Firearms Instructor (ret.); Certified Deputy Sheriff (ret.)) 9mm or .45? Both. Reason: Imagine you’re in a room with one door, five Jihadists armed with dull knives are going to come through the door one at a time every 60 seconds with the goal of cutting your head off. You have the choice of one of two identical handguns, one in 9x19mm and the other in .45 ACP. Both have only five rounds of ball ammo. Which one would you pick? I carry a .45 ACP daily, but practice and train with 9x19mm pistols.

Yes, that's fair. Let's arbitrarily take away one of the main advantages of 9mm before judging...

That's like saying, you stuck on an island with Scarlett Johannson and Angelina Jolie but you are only allowed to have your way with Angelina, which would you pick?

Duh...

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I loved the reason from the one guy that picked .45acp.

Ken Hackathorn (Affiliation: Alias Training & Security Services; Position: Former U.S. Army Special Forces Small Arms Instructor; Gunsite Instructor (retired); NRA Police Firearms Instructor (ret.); FBI Certified Firearms Instructor (ret.); Certified Deputy Sheriff (ret.)) 9mm or .45? Both. Reason: Imagine you’re in a room with one door, five Jihadists armed with dull knives are going to come through the door one at a time every 60 seconds with the goal of cutting your head off. You have the choice of one of two identical handguns, one in 9x19mm and the other in .45 ACP. Both have only five rounds of ball ammo. Which one would you pick? I carry a .45 ACP daily, but practice and train with 9x19mm pistols.

Yes, that's fair. Let's arbitrarily take away one of the main advantages of 9mm before judging...

That's like saying, you stuck on an island with Scarlett Johannson and Angelina Jolie but you are only allowed to have your way with Angelina, which would you pick?

Duh...

Not only that, he doesn't practice and train with what he carries.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    .45 didn't win? There are going to be some upset people on this forum. Lol

Nah......those are just a bunch of "Nancy" boy's...........................:)

I have recently put a 9mm in the safe surrounded by .45 ACP pistols. The 9mm shoots, hits etc. It has a hard time flipping the dueling tree paddles. The 45 has no trouble at all.

Pick your poison.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Anybody else sick of all the "tactical experts"? If I see one more pair of fake Oakleys sitting above a wannabe beard I'm gonna throw up. You're not an "operator" in the "sandbox". Get over yourself.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    The other day I killed a porcupine that I thought was a woodpecker. He got the dog and I got him. I used a .45 and a handheld spotlight. One shot kill.

Why .45? Because it was the closest handgun to me at the time and I walked past shotguns and AR's to get it. Sometimes you gotta get up close and personal. I had a 2 day beard going and no glasses of any kind on at the time. I was in my underwear, a Tshirt and cut down rubber wadding boots I keep by the door, no socks. Yeah sorry, no pics.

However, I do like the article and the last 5 handguns we have purchased are all 9mm.

One Shot One Kill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    Near The Dunes
    The other day I killed a porcupine that I thought was a woodpecker. He got the dog and I got him. I used a .45 and a handheld spotlight. One shot kill.

Why .45? Because it was the closest handgun to me at the time and I walked past shotguns and AR's to get it. Sometimes you gotta get up close and personal. I had a 2 day beard going and no glasses of any kind on at the time. I was in my underwear, a Tshirt and cut down rubber wadding boots I keep by the door, no socks. Yeah sorry, no pics.

However, I do like the article and the last 5 handguns we have purchased are all 9mm.
    Wow, you really need those glasses! :laugh:

EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    "The standard Seal - issued pistol was a Sig Sauer P 226 chambered for 9mm ammo. While that is an excellent weapon. I felt I needed more knockdown power than nine nine millimeters could provide. and later started carrying my own personal weapon in place of the 226. Let's face it - if you are using a pistol in combat the s... has already hit the fan. You may not have time for perfect shot placement. The bigger rounds may not kill your enemy, but they are more likely to put him down when you hit him."

What about Kyles expert opinion?
    I dont believe in "knockdown power" because you cant measure it, but I do understand what he meant.

Top Bottom