• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • voodoo304

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2011
    SW Indy
    The more threads I read on gun suggestions, the more I see how people recommend these hi-cap pistols. Then at the end over half of them say "but I always have a (insert favorite snub nose revolver) in my pocket".
    Don't discredit the great gun you already have. While I do own and enjoy a G19, my daily carry is a LCR .357.
    As some have already mentioned learn to reload. It's now cheaper to shoot 357/38 than it is store bought 9mm.
    If its just a choice of 9 vs 40, I vote 9mm. Less recoil, faster follow up shots, and last but not least, because James Yeager carries a G19!
    Good luck in your search.

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    Pull on the full size is nice. Feels very crisp. I think it's around 6-7 lbs. I believe the trigger on the compact is lighter.

I've put almost 300 rounds through my SR9c. i REALLY like it. Hickok45 has some really good things to say about it in his videos. I think the trigger pull on the SR9c is about 5.5 lbs. Another benefit is that is comes with a 17 round mag (that IMHO, makes it feel like the full size SR9) as well as the shorter 10 round mag.

if you shoot a lot, you might look for an SR40c. .40 seems to have a higher availability these days. Of course, that might vary by location.

BRILEY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Beech Grove
    I've personally carried a S&W .40 for the past two years, I really like the gun don't get me wrong, however it's a little heavier than I'd like! Price of ammo (and availability) is definatly something to consider, which is exactly why I recently made the switch to the Gen4 Glock 19 which, so far I absolutley love!

So for me, someone that's carried a .40 everyday for over 2 years now, I'd say go with the 9mm.

countryboyfx4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    If it was between 9mm and 40 i would say 40! I love my Springfield XD and XDM series pistols! My xd 40 that is going on 4 years old has over 5,000 rounds and no issues what so ever! XDM 9 3.8 compact 9mm very nice as well maybe 200 rounds through it! I say 40 because of the high pressure round and it is a good solid reliable round as well as little more power over a 9mm even though ballistic tests are close! I carry a .45ACP because its so small compared to my 9mm and 40 XD's! Yes thats right my baby Springfield XDS is a small powerful and accurate little gun! Look into the Springfield line of guns I think you'll like them!

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Seems to be a lot of 9mm vs. 40 threads. Just get yourself a Glock 22/23 or a S&W M&P 40 and then buy a 9mm conversion barrel. Problem solved.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    Why are you asking? If for home defense? Doesn't matter, no one looking a gun pointing at them with right mind would try anything maybe except saying "Please, don't shoot". Even a little .22 can do a lot of damage at close range. Well, if you can shoot well and comfy with the .40 then go for it. Like mentioned, bigger holes do post a intimidated value.

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    Why are you asking? If for home defense? Doesn't matter, no one looking a gun pointing at them with right mind would try anything maybe except saying "Please, don't shoot". Even a little .22 can do a lot of damage at close range. Well, if you can shoot well and comfy with the .40 then go for it. Like mentioned, bigger holes do post a intimidated value.

My intention is to carry this weapon but would be readily available in a home defense situation.

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    Seems to be a lot of 9mm vs. 40 threads. Just get yourself a Glock 22/23 or a S&W M&P 40 and then buy a 9mm conversion barrel. Problem solved.

I was thinking a glock 26 or 27 because I am pretty think so concealing a 19/22/23 would be difficult. Although now I am considering something else because the 26/27 does not have a rail underneath it. :noway:

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    If it was between 9mm and 40 i would say 40! I love my Springfield XD and XDM series pistols! My xd 40 that is going on 4 years old has over 5,000 rounds and no issues what so ever! XDM 9 3.8 compact 9mm very nice as well maybe 200 rounds through it! I say 40 because of the high pressure round and it is a good solid reliable round as well as little more power over a 9mm even though ballistic tests are close! I carry a .45ACP because its so small compared to my 9mm and 40 XD's! Yes thats right my baby Springfield XDS is a small powerful and accurate little gun! Look into the Springfield line of guns I think you'll like them!

I'll definately check them out! Thanks for the advice!

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    The more threads I read on gun suggestions, the more I see how people recommend these hi-cap pistols. Then at the end over half of them say "but I always have a (insert favorite snub nose revolver) in my pocket".
    Don't discredit the great gun you already have. While I do own and enjoy a G19, my daily carry is a LCR .357.
    As some have already mentioned learn to reload. It's now cheaper to shoot 357/38 than it is store bought 9mm.
    If its just a choice of 9 vs 40, I vote 9mm. Less recoil, faster follow up shots, and last but not least, because James Yeager carries a G19!
    Good luck in your search.

I will say I love my S&W Airweight!! I love that it slides right in my pocket. No worries about it. It will be there and it will function no question! Its so small and conveinient.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I was thinking a glock 26 or 27 because I am pretty think so concealing a 19/22/23 would be difficult. Although now I am considering something else because the 26/27 does not have a rail underneath it. :noway:

Glock 26/27 is the same width as a Glock 19/23. So carry is not all that different. You already have the small carry gun covered with the J-frame. The mid sized Glocks are very shootable while still being small enough to carry. I personally carry a G23 and a j-frame. The 9mm conversion barrels work well. 9mm at the range, .40 for carry.

As a lefty you owe it to yourself to look at the M&P line as well.

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    There is little stopping power difference between 9mm and 40 s&w. 9mm is less expensive and .40 is usually very dirty. The choice is simple for me.

00Buck

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Near Martinsville
    9mm if you are going to shoot alot and dont reload. 40 if you dont plan on shooting much but want a good personal defense round. In reality both rounds are good, choose what fits and feels the best to you.

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    Glock 26/27 is the same width as a Glock 19/23. So carry is not all that different. You already have the small carry gun covered with the J-frame. The mid sized Glocks are very shootable while still being small enough to carry. I personally carry a G23 and a j-frame. The 9mm conversion barrels work well. 9mm at the range, .40 for carry.

As a lefty you owe it to yourself to look at the M&P line as well.

My concern was the length of the grip being difficult to conceal but you are right I got that covered with my J frame. Just curious, why do you say as a lefty I should look at the M&P's? I acutally just bought my father an M&P9c for Christmas! We took it to the range and I was pretty impressed.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Please expand on this. I know little of the M&P's and I am a lefty. Why would I want to consider them? Thanks.

Reversible mag release and ambidextrose slide stop. Gotta go with a Gen 4 glock to be able to switch the mag release.

Grunt

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I have a S & W Shield in .40 caliber. I do enjoy the caliber size, but am thinking of going back to a 9 mil just to have more rounds in the magazine. Currently I only have a 6 round and 7 round magazine, and its not a lot when getting overran by a horde of Obama voters.

I liked the video of the Springfield XDM with 19 rounds in the magazine. I would trust the 9 mm round to be a show stopper for bad guys; just ask Trayvon Martin in Florida. He took a 9 through the heart and it stopped him from killing a citizen.

During combat in Iraq, an American soldier was moving through a battlefield with heavy smoke, with his 9 mm Beretta at the ready. All of a sudden 3 Iraqi bad guys accidentally ran right into him and they were one behind the other. He fired one shot into the lead bad guy and it went through all 3 of them. I can't remember if they were all killed or not.

Top Bottom