• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    I am shopping / researching my next firearm purchase currently. I am primarily looking at Glock 26/19 or 27, S&W Shield 9mm or .40.

A little background:

I bought a Walther PK380 shortly after turning 18. (at the time caliber wasnt a major concern) I made this choice at the time because I loved the way it felt in my hand and everything is ambidextrous on it. (I write left handed but do many other things right handed) with minimal handgun expirience I wasnt sure which would be my primary hand when firing a handgun. I picked up the Walther so I could try both left and right handed. I recently traded off the Walther for a Smith and Wesson Airweight .38 spl. I am now looking to purchase a new firearm for daily carry.

What I am looking for here is advice / opinions on 9mm vs .40. What do you choose and why?
    Also, If you care to add a comment on one of the above mentioned guns feel free (or something similar). Any advice is welcomed :yesway:

saintnick81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Bedford
    I would purchase a 9mm purely for price of ammo. But I like to shoot quite frequently

Price on 9mm is great, when you can find it. Also, take a look at the ruger sr9c. I just picked up the full size. Also, has an ambidextrous safety and mag release. Price is pretty good too.

Dj15802

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Avon, IN
    If ammo prices are a concern figure $6-10 difference per hundred on average. It just depends on what you feel comfortable with. I personally wouldn't mind the .38 you currently have for a CCW.
    I like the .40 as my Carry choice. But that's just a personal preference.

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    If ammo prices are a concern figure $6-10 difference per hundred on average. It just depends on what you feel comfortable with. I personally wouldn't mind the .38 you currently have for a CCW.
    I like the .40 as my Carry choice. But that's just a personal preference.

I love the .38 especially being hammerless. It slides right into my pocket. I carry it everywhere. At the same time I would like to add a semi auto to the family being that currently I only have revolvers and long guns

fallenangel1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    In this situation I'd side with 9mm due to the lower cost of ammo as well as higher capacity standard mags.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Love my shield. I iwb carry it in the cooler months when I can wear a long sleeve shirt. It doesn't work for me in the summer with shorts and a t shirt though. I pocket carry a .38 when it's hot out.

The shield is a very nicely put together handgun.

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    Love my shield. I iwb carry it in the cooler months when I can wear a long sleeve shirt. It doesn't work for me in the summer with shorts and a t shirt though. I pocket carry a .38 when it's hot out.

The shield is a very nicely put together handgun.

Did you go with 9mm or .40?

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I also write and do many other things left handed but I shoot right handed. I prefer 9mm because of price, the ease of follow on shots due to less barrel rise and also capacity. I carry a CZ 75 Compact 9mm with 16+1. I believe you should carry what you shoot best. Most people seem to shoot 9mm better. You will have a much better chance of putting the biscuit in the basket with the best gun you shoot. Might take a while to figure that out. It makes no sense to carry a gun just because you like the caliber. If you don't shoot it as well as others. Plus, I can afford a lot more practice time with the 9mm. I love .45s and if I ever find one I shoot as well as my Compact, unlikely as that is, I will carry that.

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    I also write and do many other things left handed but I shoot right handed. I prefer 9mm because of price, the ease of follow on shots due to less barrel rise and also capacity. I carry a CZ 75 Compact 9mm with 16+1. I believe you should carry what you shoot best. Most people seem to shoot 9mm better. You will have a much better chance of putting the biscuit in the basket with the best gun you shoot. Might take a while to figure that out. It makes no sense to carry a gun just because you like the caliber. If you don't shoot it as well as others. Plus, I can afford a lot more practice time with the 9mm. I love .45s and if I ever find one I shoot as well as my Compact, unlikely as that is, I will carry that.

Good point! That is the very reason I am leaning towards the 9mm.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Both are great choices. I like 40 in midsize and fullsize anything, but I own 9mms cuz they are fun and less expensive to feed. For a small (read: subcompact) carry gun, I'd go for the 9mm simply for rounds you can carry, fast follow up, and general ammo prices.

slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Do you have an opinion on 9mm vs .40 regardless of price?

Honestly anything I would say about the two calibers would not hold a candle to the giant wealth of information from a quick search.

My best opinion I can give is to shoot what you like, and reload so that price isn't a issue. I don't think it's fair to discredit a .40 because its more expensive. I only own 9mm but think either caliber is perfectly fine.

Dj15802

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Avon, IN
    You can't go wrong either way. They both have advantages and disadvantages. It all depends on what you'll shoot best. I'd get the 9. As stated: higher capacity, less$ for ammo and less recoil.

SpyderRick

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Greenwood
    I got the Glock 23 which is the .40 but also got the 9mm barrel with it to be able to shoot cheaper 9mm. Love it. The 23 is the same frame as the 19

Top Bottom