• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dr. Pretorius

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Hello, I'm just starting to build a 9mm AR. I have all the parts ordered to complete the lower. I was considering making it a SBR. I have never gone thru this before, so I have a few questions. I know there is a $200 fee and some paperwork and waiting involved. I figured I could get that process started as soon as I pick up my lower Receiver. and after I get it all approved I could get my upper put together.

My question is where do I start? I also heard that you have to engrave the receiver with your name and address, who can I take it to to have this done?
    Like I said I'm a first timer here, so any help will be much appreciated.

I also wanted to know if the barrel length plays any role in reliability in the 9mm guns. In other words is there a sweet spot on barrel length or does it not affect the function of the weapon at all.

Thanks!!!

pierce195

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    New Castle
    The best place I have found for engraving is Orion Arms. You do have to ship them your stripped lower, but he does great work.

The barrel length on the departments SMG's is 10.5 inchs. The biggest issue is the type of ammo used for the sub guns. Ball ammo is all we feed them as HP don't work well.

Make sure you read the section in the forum on paper work as if you dont send all the paper work needed or omit something it will only add to your wait time.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Build it as a pistol first, when you get the stamp back slap a stock on her.

No need to engrave it as a pistol.

Last edited:

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Still needs engraved once you put a stock on it.

if you get this lower they can do the engraving for cheap and pre anodized

AR-15 Dedicated 9mm Lower (Vltor matching)

I understand, thats why I said no need to have a pistol done. I myself would not engrave the weapon until I received the stamp back.

Good to see that a builder is offering it. Some I have seen look like the jewelry guy at the mall kiosk did it with an engraving pen.

chakup

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Engraving will be of whoever is SBR'ng it. You if Form 4, shop if they're doing it. Barrel length on 9mm doesn't really matter as it's blowback not gas. I just cut mine down to ~5" and had it re-threaded 1/2x28.

Dr. Pretorius

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Well, CMMG has my lower on backorder till mid March, so as soon as it arrives I'll get it sent off to Orion for engraving. I got in all my other parts to complete the lower. I decided I will build it as a pistol for the time being until I get all the SBR approved and back.

Here's a list of what I have for the lower and all the upper parts I still need to get.

CMMG Dedicated 9mm lower receiver with Parts kit
    M60joe Modded UZI Mags
    Spikes Pistol buffer Tube kit
    Spikes SS 9mm Buffer
    KNS Pins
    Vltor HK Loop End Plate
    Moe Grip
    Moe Trigger Guard
    Moe Handguards
    Moe Stock (after I get SBR approved)

CMMG Ramped Bolt
    Spikes Billet 9mm Upper receiver
    10.5" Green Mountain match grade barrel

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    Hey Doc, you should reconsider using a dedicated 9mm as your SBR. It kinda limits your choices.

SBR a standard lower and just get a magwell then you could have 22lr, 5.56, 9mm or any other upper you could want.

Just y .02 but that is the way I will be proceeding.

Dr. Pretorius

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Hey Doc, you should reconsider using a dedicated 9mm as your SBR. It kinda limits your choices.

SBR a standard lower and just get a magwell then you could have 22lr, 5.56, 9mm or any other upper you could want.

A very good point, but I'm not really interested in a SBR in any other Caliber than 9mm. I own a gas piston AR in 5.56 that's a 16" carbine. I just think that the 9mm is a perfect fit for me in a SBR

Dr. Pretorius

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I got my UZI mags back from M60Joe. He does very nice work. CMMG has my 9mm lower on backorder till mid to late march, otherwise I have all the parts to assemble the lower. I'm going to send the stripped lower off to Orion for the SBR engraving as soon as it arrives. I'll keep posting my progress:popcorn:

Dr. Pretorius

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Got my dedicated 9mm Lower from CMMG. I contacted Orion about the engraving, but they said I would have to tap out the roll pins for the ejector and feed ramp to remove them along with removing the bolt catch. I decided I would try to find someone locally that could do the engraving without me banging pins out and back in. I did some calling around and found a guy.

Tim Youtsey at Good to Go Tactical in Georgetown IN. He happen to be at the Indy 1500 this weekend, so I took the lower to him at the show. He only charged me $20 for the engraving + $10 shipping back to me. He said he would have the receiver back to me in a week. Good Deal!

I ordered all the forms and fingerprint cards yesterday. Can some one tell me who I can go to in Indianapolis to get my fingerprints done?

mjrducky

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    North Liberty, IN
    If you live in Indy you get to go downtown and have them fingerprint you and leave your Form 1 paperwork for the CLE to sign and usually in a few days they will call you to come back and pick it up. I'll be doing mine on monday. I'll have two form 1's and one form 4 so they are going to love me having to do six print cards.

GSPBirdDog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Henryville

I am very green on class 3 stuff but i thought when you applied for your paperwork thru the atf that they needed to know caliber/barrel length/ect.... Am i wrong?

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I am very green on class 3 stuff but i thought when you applied for your paperwork thru the atf that they needed to know caliber/barrel length/ect.... Am i wrong?

You DO put down a barrel length, overall length and caliber on your Form 1 when making an SBR. Once you get an approved stamp back, you are free to put any other caliber/length upper receiver on your lower as long as you keep your original configuration. If you decided to permanently change the configuration by selling the original upper, you can notify the ATF of the change in writing.

As far as the engraving goes, there is a school of thought that you should get it engraved while your paperwork is in process because if something happens to the lower (engraving is messed up, receiver is lost in transit, etc) you can amend your paperwork with a new serial #. If you wait to get your stamp approved and something happens to your lower, you are out the $200.

Orion does a great job with the engraving. It should run you about $50 with return shipping.

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    If you wait to get your stamp approved and something happens to your lower, you are out the $200.

Not exactly correct

"5. Cancellation of Approved Application. An approved application may be canceled only if the firearms had not been made or modified. The maker must return the approved appication with a written request for cancellation, citing the need and that the making of the firearm did not take place. The NFA branch will arrange for a refund of any tax paid."

So, if you have not built the firearm yet and the engraver screws up your receiver you can cancel your Form 1 and request a refund.

Last edited:

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    You're right... sorry about the mis-information. Just FYI, it can take almost a year to get your refund.

Top Bottom