• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Could happen anywhere, anytime. Glad to hear the good guy won this time. Very interesting audio clip for sure. There is a lot more going on than just pulling the trigger and calling it a day, you can hear it in the homeowner's voice toward the end.

Should be mandatory listening for anyone in this country who supports gun control.

indyjack

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Oct 18, 2012
    ok... i have a question. wouldn't it have been better for this guy to make some noise to let the burglar know that he's home AND armed instead of whispering on the phone? once the break in occurs, by all means, shoot!!! but to let him think he's entering an empty house by being silent doesn't make sense to me. turn on the lights..? yell out the door that you're armed..? is it bad form or something to warn someone trying to break in to your house that he's gonna die if he crosses the threshold? it just seems this may have been avoided.:dunno:

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    I don't see how you get to the assumption that the BG thought the house was empty. The man and his wife where both home. Surely there was a car in the driveway at the very least.
    If somebody is kicking in my door and I am there waiting for them I do not think I would want them to know that I am there waiting. He had no idea if the guy was armed. He had no idea if there was more than one person. I would disagree with you indyjack. I would feel like making myself and my intentions known would put me in more danger. This is the BG's fault and this time he got what he deserved.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    ok... i have a question. wouldn't it have been better for this guy to make some noise to let the burglar know that he's home AND armed instead of whispering on the phone? once the break in occurs, by all means, shoot!!! but to let him think he's entering an empty house by being silent doesn't make sense to me. turn on the lights..? yell out the door that you're armed..? is it bad form or something to warn someone trying to break in to your house that he's gonna die if he crosses the threshold? it just seems this may have been avoided.:dunno:

Do what YOU think is necessary when the PRESSURE is on you.
    This homeowner thought it necessary to do what he did.
    And the bad guy was in HIS house.
    Your house, your rules.
    Just remember, it's one thing typing on a computer.
    It's another when the S hits the F.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Once someone enters my home unannounced with intentions to rob or do harm, their ASS IS GRASS AND I AM THE LAWNMOWER!

Just remember.
    If you are involved in a defensive shooting, people may look at your online posts. And you're going to have to explain them, out of context, to people.
    Ask Titanium Frost.

indyjack

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Oct 18, 2012
    I don't see how you get to the assumption that the BG thought the house was empty. The man and his wife where both home. Surely there was a car in the driveway at the very least.
    If somebody is kicking in my door and I am there waiting for them I do not think I would want them to know that I am there waiting. He had no idea if the guy was armed. He had no idea if there was more than one person. I would disagree with you indyjack. I would feel like making myself and my intentions known would put me in more danger. This is the BG's fault and this time he got what he deserved.
    first of all, the BG was working on the front door for over 5 minutes which is clear from the length of the audio. 2nd, some people have these things called garages. 3rd, if there were more people trying to get in, i think a window would be the best logical choice. otherwise you've got a group of guys all standing by one door. so maybe i should rephrase the question... what's the better response in your opinion: sitting in the dark waiting to kill someone or doing everything you can so as not to have to kill them? i understand the possibility that making your presence known could put you in more danger. i also understand that it could just as easily scare the BG off. i was trying to get opinions, not start an argument. i don't know the correct answer. that's why i was asking you guys...

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Conceal as to avoid being a target. When you have a chance, eliminate the threat. This is not a wild dog you're trying to scare aware. This is a person with ill intent doing whatever they can to get inside your home. The goal is to remain safe and alive. The best way to do that is to stay concealed until you can terminate the threat with as little exposure as possible. Who knows if his accomplice is near the back door and will shoot you through a window when you flick on the lights.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Look in the papers. People have to defend themselves in court all the time.
    If you shoot somebody, even in self-defense you can be almost certain you'll end up in a civil trial.

It sucks, but it's true. Then again, you could be sued for anything from them cutting their hand on the window (while breaking in) to slipping in your kitchen while plundering your house.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    If you shoot somebody, even in self-defense you can be almost certain you'll end up in a civil trial.

It sucks, but it's true. Then again, you could be sued for anything from them cutting their hand on the window (while breaking in) to slipping in your kitchen while plundering your house.

I don't think this is true. IIRC, you can not be sued for legally protecting yourself or a third party. IANAL but that is my understanding.

IC 35-41-3

"No person in this state shall be placed in legal jeopardy of any kind whatsoever for protecting the person or a third person by reasonable means necessary."

I'm sure if I'm wrong one of our resident INGO attorneys will correct me.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    The IC code addresses legal jeopardy, not civil liability. If justified you won't go to prison but can still be sued into bankruptcy unfortunately.

Bersalover

Marksman
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Feb 14, 2011
    Many cases out there that set a precedence that a burglar can and will sue a homeowner even though wrong. Any litigation is expensive and it is a shame to burden our legal system with this

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    The IC code addresses legal jeopardy, not civil liability. If justified you won't go to prison but can still be sued into bankruptcy unfortunately.

Well, that really sucks. What a waste.

I always thought "what so ever" included civil cases as well.

Thanks for clearing that up Phylodog.

Lonestar6

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Our house rules YMMV

Hit alarm / call 911

Put distance between you and bad guy

Pray police arrive in time.

If, in spite of all your efforts to avoid direct confrontation with BG, BG comes looking for you, defend yourself.

Nothing you own is worth your life.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Conceal as to avoid being a target. When you have a chance, eliminate the threat. This is not a wild dog you're trying to scare aware. This is a person with ill intent doing whatever they can to get inside your home. The goal is to remain safe and alive. The best way to do that is to stay concealed until you can terminate the threat with as little exposure as possible. Who knows if his accomplice is near the back door and will shoot you through a window when you flick on the lights.

I often see people wanting to pass the buck, so to speak.

'I won't stop this guy, I just want him to go rob/murder/rape someone else.' That's the gist of their thought process. :xmad:

The other absurd notion is not wanting to defend your property, even where legal.

Put it another way, would you shoot someone if they were going to tie you to a chair for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week for two and a half weeks?

You would? A guy with home owners/property insurance and a $1,000 deductible who makes $12.50 and hour would have to work AT LEAST two and half weeks (after taxes) to make up that deductible.

People need to get over this idiotic notion that your property doesn't represent days/weeks/years of your life. Because THAT is what the badguy is stealing, not simply an XBOX or a TV... it's no different than them strapping you to a chair and holding you hostage for a day/week/year.

People need to get their heads on strait.

Top Bottom