• Status
    Not open for further replies.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    I lost a buddy on 9/11 from my college days. I get mad on 9-10 and don't calm down till 9-12.

He took the big city path and ended up in New York, I took the small town path and ended up in Southern Indiana.

I like to think he didn't suffer, but he was about 5 floors above the first plane impact. I know he would have been trying to help others out and try to find a way out.

But that was 8 years ago.......I was second pick for the job he got.....messes with your head sometimes!

Last edited:

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    I lost a buddy on 9/11 from my college days. I get mad on 9-10 and don't calm down till 9-12.

He took the big city path and ended up in New York, I took the small town path and ended up in Southern Indiana.

I like to think he didn't suffer, but he was about 5 floors above the first plane impact. I know he would have been trying to help others out and try to find a way out.

But that was 8 years ago.......I was second pick for the job he got.....messes with your head sometimes!
    God bless your friend...and you.
    praying%20smiley.gif

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    Yeah Ill have my cast iron pot on standby.... I heed to invest in real helmets. Terrorists kinda scare me. And now Obama wants to tie the hands of those who keep the USA safe...... I think Ill load my rifle and keep my gasmasks and camping gear on standby.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    I spoke with a friend of mine a few years back that had survived the WTC collapse. He along with hundreds of other firemen spent several days at ground zero at first in an effort to save their brothers and sisters and then as an effort to bring their bodies home. Sleeping in shifts...but sleeping only when exhaustion took over.

He relayed to me a story. Firemen wear a mechanical device called a PAS device. This unit is an alarm that sounds when a fireman remains motionless for a certain amount of time. My friend relayed the helplessness he and his fellow firemen felt in the moments after the collapse as one by one these devices began going off. Dozens and dozens at once. The PAS devices continued to sound their shrill alarms late into the night. Then as they began...a few at a time...the devices began to fail...eventually falling silent.

260307fireman2.jpg

42402402_8d0da5a24c.jpg

SC_Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Bloomington
    3895955253_3a84f6b163.jpg

This is one of the images in my collection that people always seem drawn to. The text below is on the back of all the matted prints I sell and pretty much sums up how the image came to be.

Bald Eagle with American Flag

All of us, Americans and non-Americans alike, were deeply affected by the terrorist acts of September 11, 2001. Each of us dealt with our emotions in a slightly different manner – some visiting with friends, some watching CNN for the latest developments, some simply sitting and reflecting…I looked through slides.

In looking through my slide files, I came upon an image of eight police officers and firefighters carrying an American Flag into the opening ceremonies of the 2001 World Fire and Police Games held in Indianapolis, Indiana. The image brought back memories of conversations I had with several international delegations of police officers and firefighters as well as the incredible level of respect that each (regardless of nationality) had for our Flag as it was carried into the RCA Dome. Further into the collection was an image of a bald eagle (photographed at Lake Monroe, Indiana), clearly defining its power through its posture and piercing gaze.

I felt that, in light of the September 11th attacks, these two particular images belonged together. Thus, the Bald Eagle with American Flag composite image was created. When viewing this image, please take a moment to appreciate the symbolism of the bald eagle and the American Flag (both as our national symbol and the context in which I photographed it).

Enjoy, and may God bless America!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom