• chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Dont do much bird hunting do ya?

:D nope.

I thought of that while reading other responses. All of my experience with shotguns is training for home defense and occasionally playing with clays on the skeet range (still using my HD 870).

I suppose people do hunt with the darn things, in which case the whole "drop scat and run" possibility is quite real, and undesirable. The only hunting I've done has been for squirrel with a .22.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Not a Mossberg 500 fan in the slightest. Fit / finish is sloppy (even compared to an Express), no way to extend the magazine, and I don't care for the safety. As already stated, the Wingmaster is the best bang for buck shotgun out there. Before I'd settle on a 500, I'd recommend looking at an old Winchester model 12, Ithaca 37, etc.....

abrams12

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012

Hello, I am brand new to this community. I am a strong supporter of 2nd amendment constitutional rights. I enjoy hunting and will soon begin shooting sporting clays on a regular basis. I am a family man and proud to be an American.

abrams12

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    rem 870

Hello, I would definitely go with the 870. I have owned one for 11 years and would not trade it for anything. I have shot the Mossberg 500, as well as other pumps and prefer the 870 over them all. The 870 is a very smooth shooting gun with, in my opinion, lower recoil than the Mossberg 500. The 870 costs a little more, but is worth every penny.

SubUrbanCamo317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    South Side Indy
    I myself am a Mossberg raised man. My father and grandfather before me both have Mossbergs. I have an 835 ultimag turkey gun, (my first shotgun, a gift from my father) many of my friends have the Remintons. I have shot the 870, its a wonderful shotgun. They are both great shotguns. Find which one you like more and buy it. You cannot go wrong in either direction. :ar15:

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    Cannot go wrong with either, My dad just got a Remington 870, and i gotta say its really really nice. Feel and confidence are huge, what gets ya going right? Really like both but my choice in the 870

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    Not sure what exactly its main role will be, but want something that can be versatile.

I've been researching this question myself. I too am looking for a jack-of-all-trades shotgun. Before you pick one you may want to think about the tube capacity you want. I say that because the magazine tube end cap is actually part of the barrel on a mossberg 500, meaning the barrel has to match the tube. On the remington you can buy a tube extension separately that doesn't impact your barrel choice at all.

I mention this because if you want a HD shotgun with a large capacity tube (i.e. 6+) that can still use a longer barrel or slug barrel the 870 is the better choice. You can get barrels that will fit the extended tube 500s but they're expensive enough that you might as well just buy a 2nd shotgun.

So to sum up - 870 if you want a single jack-of-all-trades gun. If you go mossberg and want a large cap tube it'll be easier to just buy 2 guns - one HD and one for trap/hunting/etc.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    IMG_0512_zpsc46b26a6.jpg

870 and Magpul. :patriot:

balzack2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2012
    South of Ft Wayne
    If you were looking at an end of the world type scene, I would probably go with the 870 simply because the shear numbers that have been made. I believe it would be a little easier to find parts if needed. With that being said, I own a mossberg 500 w/ a 20" barrel and extended tube and it has performed above and beyond anything I've ever done with it. So you could not go wrong with either, except save a little money with mossberg.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom