• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    its all preference....some like the Mossberg and some like the Remington. I like the Mossberg slightly better because im a lefty and the safety is directly in the middle of the gun so its a little better for me. But most people that wouldnt matter and im quite positive i would get used to an 870 if i owned one for very long at all.

ilovemyjeep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Hi, I got a moss 410 for christmas ( I am Santa) and already had the 870 compact 20 gauge.

I really enjoy both, but being a lefty also, I like the safety on the moss better.

Happy shooting!:)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    i would advise to go with the Remington 870. I'm a Remington Guy but, to me, the 500's feel "cheap" the pump has wiggle room and rattles a bit at times. I do like the position of the safety on the 500 but the 870's just feel so much more solid. If you choose too then there are tons of aftermarket parts for the 870. Also, Remington customer service is outstanding! check out the thread i recently posted about the problem i had with my 870 Super Mag and what remington did to solve the problem.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo..._customer_service_870_super_mag_problems.html

jbell_64

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Mitchell
    If you care what it looks like, get the 870. Fit and finish is better. However, I went with the Mossberg. Very "solid" gun that rattles and wiggles a little lol.

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    Just get a Mossberg 590 and the Remington guys will get quiet! Heavy barrel, combat ghost ring sights, you just can't go wrong! (And it has your lefty friendly safety!)

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    I have shot both, but own neither. From my experience, you can't go wrong with either. Both cycled shells and went bang. While I sometimes question the validity of all of the remarks about the Mossberg rattling on every thread about these guns, I do actually agree that the Mossberg 500 that I have shot quite a bit, does have some rattles and shakes that the the 870 did not have. However, nothing that I would think should be of any concern.

What do you plan to use it for?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I own both and see little functional difference. I prefer the Mossberg because of the safety being up on top and accessible with either hand. Barrels and chokes were also a bit cheaper for Mossberg, but its been years since I bought either so do your own research on if that still holds true.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    Looking into getting a new shotty, I know most people say Remington, but why? Are the mossbergs not reliable or durable?

Hold both then decide. Can't really go wrong. Bought an 870 a few years back and love it, like others have said i wish the 870 had mossberg's safety.

Sometimes when walking through the woods with gloves on remington's safety is hard to find.

So whatev, just personal preference...

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I love my 870, but the Mossy is a fine weapon as well. Safety placement is a rather moot point for me as I never touch it, I simply leave the chamber empty until I'm ready to shoot.

And no, this is NOT because I have some delusion that the bad guy will drop scat and run at the awesome "shuck-shook" sound of me chambering a shell. The safety on both models mearly blocks the trigger pull and both are still capable of inertia firing if dropped or jarred even with safeties engaged.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Here's an extensive thread on the subject that you should read also.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long_guns/245997-can_a_pump_shotgun_guru_explain.html

ETA: I think the rattle that is being highlighted harkens back to the day that Mossberg had a single arm in the action vs. newer models have double arms, IIRC.
    No, it has nothing to do with the single action arms of long long ago and everything to do with fit of the dual action bars and forestock. The 500 is loose. The 590 is a bit better and about equal to today's 870 express but not fully. The Wingmaster is 4 times the gun of any of them. A used Wingmaster is the best value of any gun made in America today. In the end any 590 or Express combo will cost about the same as a used Wingmaster.

Generally speaking a newbie to shotguns won't know enough to know the differences. So it comes down to price, ergonomics of the safety and ergonomics of the safety with a pistol grip stock. With a Pistol grip stock the 870 is much easier to deal with and safer. People tend to hang a finger inside the trigger guard or close to it on a Mossberg when operating the safety. Most don't even know they are doing it until someone else points it out to them. It is just a natural move to relax the grip that way to allow the thumb to travel up to the safety when the hand is on a pistol grip.

For the record when I say Pistol Grip I mean a full stock with a PG, not a PG only POS set up.

If you go 870, install an over sized safety and just hit it with the middle of your trigger finger as you go to the trigger. It is my preference because I like to maintain my grip on the gun while I activate the safety, meaning my thumb never leaves the side of the grip. Also, you never get in the habit of looking at the safety, you keep your eyes down range. Just my preference, that is how I do it be it for hunting or HD.

But a tang safety is no big deal either, I use them on O/U's and Doubles with no issues. It is just how you train your brain to the gun.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Round in chamber, finger outside trigger guard, control muzzle, even in a fall.
    Done it more often than I wish (amazing how slick a wet branch is on a slope, under leaves, perpendicular to your boot sole-esp if it goes in right before the heel- think banana peel).

Had to dig dirt out of my 1100's and 870's. Dinged a few, banged myself up maintaining muzzle control (since you make that the priority the body gets what it gets).

No booms from impact.

I find the reg safety just fine, but then I've been running Remington shotguns for 30 yrs.

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    I like the remmington better, I think has better fit and finish, the moss seems to come standard with Rattles and shakes. This does not mean it is not reliable just that it has a little more play. Its like buying a AK to an AR, they are both good even though the AK has a little more float in the system.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom