• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    I'd wait till black friday and see what deals PSA/Troy offers.

I remember Troy AR's which are very nice from cabela's or something, and PSA with aimpoint PRO's which is like $400 for the rifle.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I figured the AR was the way to go. I'll check out PSA and see what they have going on. Thanks!

Do not get in a hurry when you are dealing with PSA. They are the slowest at delivering. High volume outfit. The rifles are OK but the triggers suck. Consider an upgrade.
    If you need help assembling hit me up. Apparently I work for beer/garden fresh veggy's/longs donuts these days....:)

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I had the same budget and philosophy of use when building my first AR. I built the lower with a Spikes receiver and a PSA lpk. Magpul CTR stock, BCM charging handle.

I bought a fully assembled heavy barrel upper when I found one on sale from PSA. By being patient I built a rifle with more than $1200 worth of parts for a little over $800. Of course that's just iron sights and no optic.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    Do not get in a hurry when you are dealing with PSA. They are the slowest at delivering. High volume outfit. The rifles are OK but the triggers suck. Consider an upgrade.
    If you need help assembling hit me up. Apparently I work for beer/garden fresh veggy's/longs donuts these days....:)

I've gotten everything I've ordered from them within 2 weeks, with the exception of 1 upper during the mad rush of 2012, which took 3 weeks, so it hasn't been that bad, in my experience. I've got 3 PSA lowers with their LPK's, and they're all decent. The most recent, on a complete pistol lower I just received, is the best factory AR trigger I've ever fired. Of course, with the money you save over a Colt, you can buy a really nice drop-in trigger.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've gotten everything I've ordered from them within 2 weeks, with the exception of 1 upper during the mad rush of 2012, which took 3 weeks, so it hasn't been that bad, in my experience. I've got 3 PSA lowers with their LPK's, and they're all decent. The most recent, on a complete pistol lower I just received, is the best factory AR trigger I've ever fired. Of course, with the money you save over a Colt, you can buy a really nice drop-in trigger.

I think the LPK's are a crap shoot on the triggers. The 3 I have done were all junk and required some time/effort to get rid of the gritty creep.
    I have had great luck with CMMG LPK's.
    As to the rest of a PSA I have had good luck.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Another thing to consider is resale value if you should ever need to. The Colts that are available right now for $800-$900 will hold their value a heck of a lot more then a PSA build or a Franken-build. Just food for thought.
    hungry-emoticon-300x211.jpg

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    I'd wait till black friday and see what deals PSA/Troy offers.

I remember Troy AR's which are very nice from cabela's or something, and PSA with aimpoint PRO's which is like $400 for the rifle.

What kind of sales do they run around this time? Considering an AR pistol build.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Ar15 out of those two options.

Options I'd look for if buying/building on your budget:
    4150 chrome lined barrel
    Full auto profile, HPT/MPI BCG
    Free float hand guard
    Build/buy one with a dust cover and forward assist (some budget AR's don't come with these)

I'm building one now. Total price for everything was $758. Here's the parts list for your reference. All good parts, just substitute based on what you plan to do with the rifle. Mine probably matches up well with what you plan to do (range fun/SHTF rifle/ammo hose/plinking):

Aero Precision forged matched upper/lower receiver set - $135 with transfer
    Green Mountain 16" air gaged, 4150/chrome lined barrel - $165
    Diamondhead 10.5" VRS-T freefloat handguard and barrel nut - $137
    PSA premium hp/mpi full auto profile mil spec BCG - $96
    PSA forward assist kit - $13
    PSA dust cover kit - $6
    PSA LPK (will do the "$10 trigger job." look it up. It'll make a mil spec trigger tolerable) - $45
    Damage industries buffer kit with a H buffer - $61
    Magpul CTR stock - $45
    Yankee hill low profile clamp-on gas block - $27
    PSA gas tube - $13
    BCM mod 3 grip - $15

Or just go buy a colt or pre-built PSA. Full rifles or full parts kits are cheap right now, so you're doing this at the right time. Like has been said, if you may sell it in the future, a Colt will hold its value better than a FrankenAR. However, if you know exactly what you want, you can typically build a bit nicer rifle for a bit cheaper. Also, if you don't know much about AR's, buying a good full rifle (like a Colt) will keep you from buying junk parts that you don't know are junk.

Last edited:

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    CTRs are $56.95 from AimSurplus w/free shipping if that matters. MagPul stocks are coming down in price like they should because of the release of their new stock and more competition with lower prices.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Nate - I picked up a "blem" Adams Arms piston-driven AR from Bud's for $599 + shipping insurance ($6). Even with the FFL transfer, it's a really great deal for a piston setup, and I really dig it. I'm just down the road from you... feel free to PM me if you want to check it out. FWIW, Bud's has received another batch of these "blems" available for this price again. On my rifle, the blem is pretty negligible, you would scratch it up more walking through the brush.

FWIW, I had a Mini, I just wasn't into the whole "AR" hobby until I started researching these Adams Arms rifles. The Adams is easier to take down and maintain, and honestly, I find it a lot more fun to shoot (though not as pretty as the Mini, I still dig the "Garand" look).

Last edited:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Someone, previously mentioned a Colt 6720 for around $800. That is the answer, no crap shooting, most likely in stock, and quality. I'm one of the Mil-spec snobs, and I would pick other units before a Colt, but for the price point stated, it really is a good deal. PSA, and all the others so far mentioned have been hit and miss as far as quality, but you RARELY EVER read about a Colt rifle being bad. Yes, some have made it out that don't work, but far less than anything mentioned. If it's just for weekend blasting, buy the M&P Sport, or anything for that matter. If you want it for serious social purposes, or hard use, buy quality.

Top Bottom