• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    So the alleged would-be Obama assassins were supposedly going to do a high-vantage shot from 750 yards... they look to be in their ealy 20's from what I saw on the news... so let's assume they are run of the mill average shots that have most of their experience from hunting or recreational range visits.

I don't think they'd have stood a chance of hitting him even if they could have gotten in position.

Assume they were good marksmen, not great, but good. Realistically what chance do you think they would have had...

And just to keep this thread relatively safe let's not say things like "I'd use this or that weapon/scope". Let's just keep it to the feasibility of an amateur marksmen hitting a target from a high-vantage point at 750 yards.

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    In my semi-uneducated, non-professional opinion, I don't think they would have had a snow ball's chance in hell. 750 yards PLUS having a high vantage point? Unless they are prodigies, or had lots of practice taking shots from just under a 1/2 mile, I don't think they would have hit their mark.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    A first round hit would be highly improbable for the average marksman. At that range, depending on the caliber used, the wind becomes a huge problem and must be accounted for very precisely to get a hit. Slight miscalculations result in significant consequences at the target line.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    They could always get a lucky shot....did the artical say anything about what kinda of weapon? A scoped out m14 (m1a) even an amature could get off a couple of shots that have high probability.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'd disagree. There is a lot involved in making that shot. Your average M1A is about a 1.5MOA shooter in the hands of a good shooter. That equates to an 11.25" group at 750 yards. They would also need to determine the angle cosign for an accurate hold or their round would likely zip right over the top of their target at that distance (if they dialed in the proper elevation for 750 yards to begin with). Also consider that a 5 mph crosswind will push a 168 grain .308 round 30" off target and you've got one heck of a difficult shot for an amateur marksman.

Not saying that I'd want to stand down there and let them sling lead at me because there is always lady luck but to get the job done would be outside of the abilities of any amateur.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    From the looks of these guys (judging a book by its cover here) and that there were drugs involved, they didn't have a clue what they were doing. Wouldn't have had a snowball's chance.
    Here in Indiana, there's not much chance (that I know of) for practicing 750 yd shots to different elevations, but I'd bet that there are plenty of hunters (non-assassin types) that handload and have the knowledge and experience to make a 750 yd shot on a man-sized target. Pretty much anybody with military training can hit a man-sized target at 500 with a 3-MOA M-16 shooting 5.56, so 750 yds with, say, a scoped .300wsm wouldn't be too much of a stretch.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    And just to keep this thread relatively safe let's not say things like "I'd use this or that weapon/scope". Let's just keep it to the feasibility of an amateur marksmen hitting a target from a high-vantage point at 750 yards.

We could argue the possibilities of different weapons and cartridges all day. With little training almost anyone could hit with a 338 Lapua and very few with a .308. An amateur shooter with a scoped hunting rifle doesn't have much of a chance of making that shot.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Here's a pic from training back in July. I put little circles around the steel targets which where spread out to 800 yards. Trust me, it ain't as easy as some might believe. Add a little bit of wind to the equation and things get pretty difficult.

range422lc2.jpg

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I'm gonna have to agree with Phylodog on this. It is possible, but not highly probable. This is also a very hard question to answer given that no details about the firearm are available. If it were a good 'ol boy with his ought six, I don't think Obama would have to worry, however it is possible that the would-be assassain managed to get in some extensive practice and training and was toting a .408 Chey-Tac. We just don't know.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    I'd disagree. There is a lot involved in making that shot. Your average M1A is about a 1.5MOA shooter in the hands of a good shooter. That equates to an 11.25" group at 750 yards. They would also need to determine the angle cosign for an accurate hold or their round would likely zip right over the top of their target at that distance (if they dialed in the proper elevation for 750 yards to begin with). Also consider that a 5 mph crosswind will push a 168 grain .308 round 30" off target and you've got one heck of a difficult shot for an amateur marksman.

Not saying that I'd want to stand down there and let them sling lead at me because there is always lady luck but to get the job done would be outside of the abilities of any amateur.

Not knowing all the parameters of course....but its not impossible to say that these people (or somebody) could have put a little thought into it. They could find a local long range match, find someone who is shooting good, steal that weapon. Now its not perfect but with a semi-auto at 750....they have a better chance then most of you give them credit for.

Last edited:

ashylarry

Expert
    Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    May 9, 2008
    Greencastle
    Here's a pic from training back in July. I put little circles around the steel targets which where spread out to 800 yards. Trust me, it ain't as easy as some might believe. Add a little bit of wind to the equation and things get pretty difficult.

range422lc2.jpg

I wouldnt even be able to see those damn targets out there :D

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Did you read the first post?

So the alleged would-be Obama assassins were supposedly going to do a high-vantage shot from 750 yards... they look to be in their ealy 20's from what I saw on the news... so let's assume they are run of the mill average shots that have most of their experience from hunting or recreational range visits.

I don't think they'd have stood a chance of hitting him even if they could have gotten in position.

Assume they were good marksmen, not great, but good. Realistically what chance do you think they would have had...

Yup. No reference. I found one though, from England.

Video: FBI investigates 'Obama assassination plot' - Times Online

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Not knowing all the parameters of course....but its not impossible to say that these people (or somebody) could have put a little thought into it. They could find a local long range match, find someone who is shooting good, steal that weapon. Now its not perfect but with a semi-auto at 750....they have a better chance then most of you give them credit for.

Still don't think it's happening. Someone could steal my rifle, which I know will hit a man at 1000 yards every time if I do my part, and if they don't know how to operate it they won't hit what their aiming at at 500 yards let alone 750. This is an amaetur we're talking about, not an educated marksman.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    a high angle shot at 750 is no chip shot even for a trained long distance shooter. too many variables to consider. it is within the realm of possibilities that a lucky shot would connect. probable, no, possible, yes.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    Still don't think it's happening. Someone could steal my rifle, which I know will hit a man at 1000 yards every time if I do my part, and if they don't know how to operate it they won't hit what their aiming at at 500 yards let alone 750. This is an amaetur we're talking about, not an educated marksman.
    As long as we are talking amateur....low probability....but even an untrained amateur that puts some thought into it (research the net) and got a little lucky with the weather and by chance had m14 white feather edition. We don't know exactly what they had but I read 2 high power one with a scope. It’s been a few years for me but back in the late 80's early 90's we had scopes with dial up elevation and got very close on the first shot. I am not current on the new scopes but I understand that they can be specific to caliber of round, ranging abilities, and act.

Anyway what I am saying just because we may find it hard sometimes to shoot those distances CONSISTENTLY. A determined amateur that has right equipment and 20 rounds just might get lucky. Even in that scenario in all likelihood they are only going to get 3 – 5 shots out before being dispatched themselves.

I used to take pride in my ability to train even the worst of the worst when it came to shooting. Any problem shooters always came to me and for the most part I could get them all on paper in a couple of days and by qual week in the black. One of the easiest people to train are those with out any shooting experience because they have no bad habits. My point is even with a little training a smart person can be dangerous.

JcJ

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    WIBC said it was a .22:dunno: (gotta love the press) @750 yards? I think not unless they planned on hitting him square in the top of the head like a mortar shell:laugh:

Anybody remember "The shooter"?

Shooter (2007/I)

Mr. Rate: That's how a conspiracy works. Them boys on the Grassy Knoll they were dead within three hours, buried in the damned desert, unmarked graves out past Terlingua.
    Nick Memphis: You know this for a fact?
    Mr. Rate: Still got the shovel...

Top Bottom