• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • seadoodr.

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    martinsville
    So after helping my brother in law put together a couple of rifles for himself and a buddy, I got the itch to do one for myself. Since I already have one in 5.56 I decided to do it in 7.62x39. Picked up a Anderson lower from a fellow ingo member, and ordered a 16" flat top rifle kit from Blackthorne. The rifle kit made it to my door in 3 days, pretty quick shipping. After inventorying all the parts and getting it assembled, I took it over to a buddies to try it out. Not to shabby, it shot about the same as my 5.56 rifle but had a few ftf issues. After field stripping it to clean I noticed a lot of copper build up on the feed ramps. They looked a little rough where the barrel and upper receiver meet. A small amount of touch up with a small grinder cured that problem. I got 2 30 round ASC magazines for it a few days after the first range session. More ftf issues, wouldn't chamber the last 3 or 4 rounds out of both mags. A set of Wolff ak47 mag springs fixed the problem. I'm happy to say today we ran 125 rounds of steel case ammo through it today without a hiccup. This gun is tons of fun to shoot and I can't wait to spend some more time at the range with it.
    :rockwoot:gun pic 3.jpggun pic 2.jpggun pics.jpggun pic 4.jpg

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I've been thinking of such a thing...

So just a 5.56 lower....then build the lower as you would any 5.56 lower. Bought a dedicated upper. Then this company has mags that work fine with AR platforms and the 762x39 rounds?

michaelw2608

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    Pretty sweet. Never heard of Blackthorne before. Their prices seem really good. Anyone have any more info on them? Parts quality, fit & finish, etc?

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I'm glad your getting it ironed out. If you end up liking it, I'd highly recommend picking up an AK. Magazines are dirt cheap, and you won't find anything out there to be more reliable.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Pretty sweet. Never heard of Blackthorne before. Their prices seem really good. Anyone have any more info on them? Parts quality, fit & finish, etc?
    Blackthorne is Hessa/Vulcan Arms. I have built 4 of their AR15 5.56 kits. The uppers come already assembled. They are not tackdrivers but cheap/affordable rifle to screw around with. The 4 I built worked just fine. The fit and finish is lower tier but usable. If you can afford the extra $100 or so I would just get a DPMS. I own DPMS too and the fit and finish is way better. Most likely more accurate as well.

michaelw2608

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    Thanks for the info remauto. I do most of my shopping at PSA, but he mentioned 3 day shipping and that sounded awesome... considering I am used to waiting anywhere between 15-30 days for uppers from PSA.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Thanks for the info remauto. I do most of my shopping at PSA, but he mentioned 3 day shipping and that sounded awesome... considering I am used to waiting anywhere between 15-30 days for uppers from PSA.
    No problem. I might just pick up a kit in 7.62x39 since I have a large stash of x39 anyway. If all i gotta do is polish the feed ramps and change out a mag spring...well it could be worse.

seadoodr.

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    martinsville
    I've been thinking of such a thing...

So just a 5.56 lower....then build the lower as you would any 5.56 lower. Bought a dedicated upper. Then this company has mags that work fine with AR platforms and the 762x39 rounds?
    They worked fairly well out of the box but like I said the last 3 or 4 rounds would not feed, bolt just passed over the top. +5% wolff ak47 magazine springs fixed the problem. Oddly enough the new spring seemed to make the mags easier to load as well. BTW I was only loading them to 25 rounds

seadoodr.

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    martinsville
    I'm glad your getting it ironed out. If you end up liking it, I'd highly recommend picking up an AK. Magazines are dirt cheap, and you won't find anything out there to be more reliable.
    I like it a lot so far, and as soon as I find a bigger gun safe I plan on picking up a AK. Just thought it would be fun to try an ar in 7.62x39 since I had a ton of ammo for the sks to I could run through it.

seadoodr.

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    martinsville
    I agree with remauto on the fit and finish, but it went together without a hitch. I had heard of these issues from others but decided to try them because I was on a pretty tight budget. I was shocked to find it on my door step after only 3 days. For the money spent I was very pleased with the outcome.

TheUziButton

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    7.62x39 is great in an AR platform. Very mild recoil for this particular caliber.
    INGONFA2013_02.jpg

AR76201.jpg

[video=youtube;9OzJKqqXdBc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OzJKqqXdBc[/video]

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    7.62x39 is great in an AR platform. Very mild recoil for this particular caliber.
    INGONFA2013_02.jpg

AR76201.jpg

[video=youtube;9OzJKqqXdBc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OzJKqqXdBc[/video]

Love that thing! Other than the venerable MG-42, that was my favorite weapon to fire at NFA Noob Day last year. Simply awesome flamethrower. :rockwoot:

TheUziButton

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Love that thing! Other than the venerable MG-42, that was my favorite weapon to fire at NFA Noob Day last year. Simply awesome flamethrower. :rockwoot:

Wow! Your profile pic captured huge flames coming out either side. That has to be close to 2 feet of flame.

Sm0keydaBear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2014
    United States
    That's pretty cool. I've been wondering if anyone would put together such rifles (AR-15 platform + 7.62x39.) Honestly, it's probably a great shooter. Only problems I might see is that it might not be piston-driven. Either way, I would like to have something like that.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    That's pretty cool. I've been wondering if anyone would put together such rifles (AR-15 platform + 7.62x39.) Honestly, it's probably a great shooter. Only problems I might see is that it might not be piston-driven. Either way, I would like to have something like that.

Do you know how long the AR15/M16 have been around WITHOUT being piston driven? Ive never even owned a piston driven AR and mysteriously the direct impingment ones that I have/had have never had any gas related failures. :dunno:

seadoodr.

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    martinsville
    762x39 AR

7.62x39 ARs have been around for a LONG time; Colt had them out in the mid to late 1990s. Others (DPMS and Olympic come to mind) have also been making them for some time.
    Yes they have, and it looks like most of the magazine related feeding issues have been addressed. I need to get a hold of some soft point and hollow point ammo and see how they run through mine.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Thanks guys for the great info.. I saw a AR based rifle chambered in 7.62x39 but have not looked to hard and really appreciate the thread info.. going to follow up on the web/links you all posted. I'm kinda new here and love the great info. Keep up the good work! Hope to own one. Again Thanks. Tim

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom