50th Post...what's your first/favorite gun memory?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cottong2001

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Down the road a piece...
    I just realized that this is my 50th post. To celebrate, I will ask a question. What's your first or favorite memory of shooting?

My first, that I can remember, was when I was around 6 or 7 years old shooting my Dad's Weatherby Mark XXII 22lr. We were shooting at old oil cans. Remember the kind that you had to use a spout with? It's still the most accurate gun I own, or at least it seems like it to me. I remember hitting it dead center and getting an approving look from Dad. Funny how you remember glimpses like that.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Easy! :)

When I was probably around 10 years old, my uncle, a US Marine, brought some firearms out of his safe when my family was visiting. He asked my parents if it was ok, and then he took me outside to shoot several of them, and taught me how to properly aim/use/clean them. Learned a lot from him just in that day of shooting. A few months later, at Christmas, he presented me with my very first gun. It was a Marlin .22 that he had allowed me to use a few months earlier. It was the gun I learned to shoot with, so it was a pretty special gift. Still have that thing!

gearheadwilly

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    I remember my dad taking me fishing, when the fish stopped biting we would go down to the outdoor range and kill some oil cans. That's what started my love of guns. Thanks pop's.

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Woof!

The fall after my 12th birthday when I was first allowed to carry my 16ga. and shoot with the,"Men", on the hunt. ;) Prior to that for the preceding five years I was,"The Dog", I was handed a broomstick and sent into the brush to scare out the rabbits,quail, pheasant or whatever. :rolleyes: It was quite a promotion! :D

PS: I also bagged my first bunny that day! (Thanksgiving Day 1961) :rockwoot:

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    Hunting with my Dad. I had a .410 single shot, was prolly 5 years old. I could barely shoot it, and I couldn't cock the hammer. As we walked the fields, I had to stand real close to Dad, so he could cock the hammer, then I could fire. Of course, any rabbit or pheasant was in the next county by then. That was OK :)

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Out shooting trap with 2 friends of mine. I was operating the trap, they both missed the bird, I pulled my .44 Redhawk and hit it. It was a one in a million shot, with 2 witnesses that will tell you that it happened.
    Edit; this was not my first memory, but definitely one of the best.

Rocdenindy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Indy
    Getting my first gun. It was a Glock 23 that I still own. My dad bought it for me since I was only 18. He was nervous about me owning a firearm but gave me the benefit of the doubt.

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    I honest don't remember the very firts time I ever shot a gun, but I do remember when I was really young and my grandpa took us out to the range and I was shooting one of his 9mm pistols, he was at my back and walking me through it.
    sure enough right as I was about to pull the trigger I brought the pistol up to my face to "aim" and that thing popped my in the mouth so darn hard... It was just one of those learning things.
    I never did that again! :D

Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    I think the first time i ever shot was with my father and great grand father on state land in PA. We were shooting great grandpa's Sears .22 rifle. Its about the only memory I have of my great grandpa, he died when I was probably 7 years old.

citizenkane

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    I remember my Grandfather took me shooting at my great aunts old farm in north Salem. He brought an M1 carbine he had and we blasted the heck out of some metal outbuildings lol.
    I don't my great aunt was too thrilled but never said anything.

mr ache sky

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    This is my first post, but my favorite memory is when I shot 700 grain wadcutter from a 500 S&W magnum for the first time. I have a video here someplace that I will post if I can find it.

swamptick

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Rochester
    One of my fondest memories was when I was 7 or 8, my Dad said that I was getting old enough to go squirrel hunting with him. Before he would let me go he took back behind the house where there were some walnut trees, he handed me his Browning Takedown 22 and said you practice shooting at those walnuts up in the trees and when you get confident enough to hit them every time we will go this weekend. Seems like it wasn't all that long ago but it has been almost 40 years ago. I really loved those times with my Dad.

Cottong2001

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Down the road a piece...
    Thanks guys. Great stories. My favorite memories are shooting and fishing with my Dad. He's been gone 17 years. Our favorite thing to do together was to go to Galyan's (remember the old Trading Post?) in Plainfield to look at guns. We never bought one, but just loved looking. I hope I'm building as good memories with my little ones.

I guess that's one of the reasons why guns are such an important part of our culture. They're deeply engrained in our families' memories. I love to make things go boom, but its also about spending some great time together.

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    I bought my first rifle not to long ago, i had been wanting an AR-15 style rifle for about a year now and just havent done it, i got pm'ed on ingo a bit before this past christmas, the guy offered my the rifle, NIB and charged me his cost, he had just happened to be driving up to northern indiana on christmas day and I i got the gun on christmas! needless to say this was the coolest present i have gotten.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I was 10 years old, and we went to Il. to visit, my uncle, and cousin and we went out to some place, and I shot my first gun, a .410 a bolt action, I think, have been hooked ever since .....

Top Bottom