50th Post...what's your first/favorite gun memory?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • reesez

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    Chevyville
    Shooting a doe through the eye when i was 10. Completely accidental, but the 22lr went through into the brain cavity. Dropped a few steps away. Then there was the time I bagged three squirrels, three rapid shots, 12g J.C. Higgins BA.

84VETTE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Salem
    My first time was in the mid 90's, I'm only 23. I learned to shoot trap with dad's Browning A5 20 ga and the same afternoon got to shoot cans with his Winchester 9422. It's an afternoon I won't forget, one of the last memories I have of my grandfather before he passed and my dad and uncle getting along.

Tom Threetoes

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Southwestern IN
    My fondest early memory was of my dad and great uncle havin' shootin' matches with their 22s off the front porch of my uncle's house in the 50s. My most treasured gun is Dad's old 870, it's not much to look at but if it could talk it could tell some tales.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Just passed my 50th post myself... and my 50th birthday last year. :D

My first gun was a Mossberg Mdl 402 "Palomino" .22 S-L-LR Lever Action Rifle with AC-KRO-GRUV Rifling. I paid $100, which was way too much, for it at a flea market. I was ten years old and times were simpler in 1972 then they are now. My Uncle Nick was with me so technically it has been his all this time even though it has been in my possession all along. Since he passed ten years ago, I think he would have wanted me to have it anyway. I never sold it, always took care of it and now forty years later it looks like this:
    main.php

Every time I take this to the range I remember my Uncle Nick smiling at me for paying too much for this thing. It was the first deal I ever struck on my own though and I was sure proud of myself. Maybe this is also my happiest memory too, not just buying it but shooting it later that day out in the middle of a swamp that is now a housing development near Venice FL where my uncle lived while he lived. I spent the summer with him that year and I had a good time plus did a lot of hard work with him. I learned a lot of things from that old man and I miss him so much I can't think of him without tearing up.

Thanks for this thread.

Last edited:

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    I just realized that this is my 50th post. To celebrate, I will ask a question. What's your first or favorite memory of shooting?

My first, that I can remember, was when I was around 6 or 7 years old shooting my Dad's Weatherby Mark XXII 22lr. We were shooting at old oil cans. Remember the kind that you had to use a spout with? It's still the most accurate gun I own, or at least it seems like it to me. I remember hitting it dead center and getting an approving look from Dad. Funny how you remember glimpses like that.

Thanks for starting this thread: it's generated a lot of great memories. :yesway:

Top Bottom