50 posts for the Traders area ~ UNINTENDED CONSEQUENCES?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mdroz3

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2009
    Walkerton
    34j7trb.jpg

MUHAHAHAHAAHA

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    That's quite a hammer!:nailbite:

I have hit the notify button when I've seen new folks flying through several one liners (or one word or smiley) on their way to PMs or the classifieds. Then I just relax and let the mods decide.
    They usually administer a gentle adjustment.:whip::bash:

But, in general, I am of the opinion that snitches get stitches.:bat::D

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    I can definitely understand some of those getting frustrating, especially the ones who say welcome to every new comer just to up their post count. However, some of those were pretty legitimate questions I thought and as far as I can tell, that's what this site is supposed to be about, for people to learn more about guns. :twocents:

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Just curious, but has anyone else noticed that some folks here are posting in a lot of threads simply to boost their post count up to 50 so they can post items for sale?

To whit I submit today's post booster: 308skinner
    So the question is how many posts can be made without actually adding anything of consequence to threads?
    Just curious if the 50 post rule is a good one after reviewing these threads.

My opinion is as long as this member is working within the rules there is not a lot to complain about. On the flip side I know you have sold thousands of dollars of gun parts using this platform yet I do not see you listed as a site supporter. The same with many others on INGO who sell up a storm and freeload in the process. :twocents:

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    I was trying to ring in on some of the issues and I got emailed from the site saying that some of my post didn't count.. ..then they took away all my post numbers, I didn't think that was fair just in case I did want to list something in the classified section.

Your friend's account was locked because he felt it necessary to spam the board with worthless posts. And before you question my definition of worthless, one doozy of a thread he started was titled "anyone want to give me a free RV or camper" or

However, some of those were pretty legitimate questions I thought and as far as I can tell, that's what this site is supposed to be about, for people to learn more about guns. :twocents:

I think some folks are focusing on the mechanism rather than the intent.

The mechanism: 50 worthwhile posts prior to listing in the classified

The intent: Hang out. Become a MEMBER of the community through participation. Once you've established yourself as a community member (not the transitional snake oil salesman) then commence trading, if you please.

The mechanism is faulty to determine if you've reached the level of "community/forum member" but you've got to start somewhere in terms of quantifying participation.

What would you use?
    Time frame since joining?
    A member vote?

I think post count is a reasonable determination, though faulty, in lieu of any other numerical gauge. Myself, I would still say make ANY posts in the classifieds and PM usage be site supporter only.

Support INGO with your MIND and thoughts on issues/discussions.
    Gonna save a few bucks or make a few bucks through a classified trade? Support INGO with a few bucks and become a site supporter.

For those of you who choose not to be a site supporter, be glad it is Fenway's call and not mine. :D

Do understand that, since the quantifying of post count to determine member "status" is the mark, you will be scrutinized by trying to take the fast/easy way through SPAM and one-liners.

Keep it up, Mods. It's not an easy job.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    My opinion is as long as this member is working within the rules there is not a lot to complain about. On the flip side I know you have sold thousands of dollars of gun parts using this platform yet I do not see you listed as a site supporter. The same with many others on INGO who sell up a storm and freeload in the process. :twocents:

Your statement is at odds with itself.
    melensdad is working within the rules. It's irrelevant what he has sold.
    Until the rules are changed (again) he is not the problem. Again no one is being
    forced to be here or forced to become a site supporter or advertising supporter.
    I do it because I believe in the site and it's stated mission and I
    have learned a lot here. It's a great place that I for one want to see stick around. :twocents:

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I know you have sold thousands of dollars of gun parts using this platform yet I do not see you listed as a site supporter. The same with many others on INGO who sell up a storm and freeload in the process. :twocents:

Melensdad has over 2700 posts and has been a great contributor to the site, so I don't think he's freeloading. There is also no requirement to be a site supporter in order to sell and if he had been here a year and was marginally over the requirement then there would a legit beef.

This issue is about new members who are purely getting on to get the quick 50 and hit the classifieds.

I hate to say this, but while we have had a lot of great new members who contribute to INGO, it has seemed as if the vast amount of new members since the November elections are purely here for classifieds due to the amount of ads I see from users with low post counts.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Melensdad has over 2700 posts and has been a great contributor to the site, so I don't think he's freeloading. There is also no requirement to be a site supporter in order to sell and if he had been here a year and was marginally over the requirement then there would a legit beef.

Do you think if I sent a bunch of letters to the editor at the Indianapolis Star that they will allow me to advertise for free in their classified section? . Because you don’t have to donate does not mean you shouldn’t, especially if you are a big user of the site. I think 50 good posts are fair for new members but I also think those members who seem to be running small businesses on here should at least be a site supporter.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama

First, he was violating the rules, which is why the moderators stepped in and deleted a whole bunch of his posts.

Second, while I do sell some of my leftover parts here, there is no rule violation in what I do. This is a free forum and I participate as a guest. I have not been told that I am a problem for the forum, and in fact many people have indicated that I have helped them out in many ways with both information and with parts. We are not required to pay to join the site and it is clear that some members choose to pay, while others choose to support the site by actively contributing information only. Both are accepted practices. To call people who trade freeloaders is inappropriate.

By the way, I am not running a business in gun parts. The uppers I am selling are actually being sold below my cost (97 cents below cost) and the parts I am selling were acquired in various trades.

LuckyBrush

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Delphi, Indiana
    I think there should be a new rule: 50 legit post count PLUS become a site supporter for $10 or, 100 legit posts alone. Then you can access classifieds, PM, etc. Make it free to be a member, yes. Just not to access the classifieds, unless you are a serious community member and contribute as Melensdad has. :yesway::dunno::noway:

That would REALLY weed out fly by nighters I'd think, as well as give the mods a better chance to catch worthless posts.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    please quote me correctly

melensdad;To call people who trade freeloaders is inappropriate. quote said:
    I did not say people who trade on the classified forum are freeloaders, just those people who run a part time business selling guns and parts on a continuous basis without offering at least to be a site supporter. Go back and read the word SELL, not TRADE. If the shoe fits ........ This is my opinion.

Last edited:

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield

Do you think if I sent a bunch of letters to the editor at the Indianapolis Star that they will allow me to advertise for free in their classified section? . Because you don’t have to donate does not mean you shouldn’t, especially if you are a big user of the site. I think 50 good posts are fair for new members but I also think those members who seem to be running small businesses on here should at least be a site supporter.

Come on Michiana, You've been here a just a little longer than me, and in that time how long have you been a FFL, and doing business on here only to become a INGO advertiser in the last 3 weeks. Plus he's got more a than few WWT/WTB's in there.

Melensdad is within the rules of the board as they are. I do believe he has a business, it does not deal with guns, I believe it's a cigar store, and he's not propping it up here on the board.

Don't you think apples need to be compared to apples and not oranges.

This thread is about members with less than 50 post TRYING TO CIRCUMVENT THE RULES to gain access to the classifieds.

Separate, walk 5 steps backwards and let's all walk back together for a group hug!
    grouphug.gif

:ingo: INGO - United we stand divided we fall, just as our country will do if we don't take a stand.

hmmmmm....... think I may add this to my sig!

matthock

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2009
    Bloomington
    Is it possible to define it based on a person's reputation? For example, instead of just 50 posts, also require that the person in question gets repped up 5 times. That would set the bar a bit higher, in so far as it requires that the person post things that are of actual value - posting 50 1-liners won't earn a person any rep, but someone putting up quality posts could get 5 rep in their first 50 posts. Plus, as I recall from the FAQ, the rep system is based on the age and quality of the account giving the rep - hence, it would be pointless just to make a bunch of accounts to rep up one of them and get access, since the throwaway accounts would be worth almost no rep.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Is it possible to define it based on a person's reputation? For example, instead of just 50 posts, also require that the person in question gets repped up 5 times.

No matter what we do, there will be those who will work to abuse and take advantage of the rules. That's one of the reasons we have Mods. And the BAN HAMMER. :) I believe the current arrangement is an improvement over the 10 post requirement. I don't see the need to overthink or overcomplicate things in an effor to try to catch everyone or make the rules airtight; that would end up doing more harm to the forum than good.

coletrane811

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Noblesville
    I'm definately not here to argue or complain, just to give my opinion on this matter.

I have been on the site for approx 8 or 9 months. I had posted some in the normal sections, admittedly to get my post count above 10 so I could get into the for sale forum. From there, I started doing some trading and selling, more trading than anything. Then I read a post somewhere stating that some people were taking advantage (making money) from INGO and not contributing to the site by becoming a Site Supporter and decided I agreed 100% with this (even though I am not here to make money at all, just enjoy my love affair with guns) and paid my contribution to INGO. Now the post count has changed to 50 and I'm out of the For Sale cove again. I am now posting (meaningful posts IMO) to get to 50. I am not a big "poster" on most forums I am on. I will contribute when what I have to say hasn't already been said and I have a true opinion on that topic.

I think that putting the 50 post count minimum is just running up the post count of the forum. It is very easy to see when guys/gals are just using the site to sell guns for a profit, and isn't that the issue? If I have missed something here, then I apologize.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I'm definately not here to argue or complain, just to give my opinion on this matter.

I have been on the site for approx 8 or 9 months. I had posted some in the normal sections, admittedly to get my post count above 10 so I could get into the for sale forum. From there, I started doing some trading and selling, more trading than anything. Then I read a post somewhere stating that some people were taking advantage (making money) from INGO and not contributing to the site by becoming a Site Supporter and decided I agreed 100% with this (even though I am not here to make money at all, just enjoy my love affair with guns) and paid my contribution to INGO. Now the post count has changed to 50 and I'm out of the For Sale cove again. I am now posting (meaningful posts IMO) to get to 50. I am not a big "poster" on most forums I am on. I will contribute when what I have to say hasn't already been said and I have a true opinion on that topic.

I think that putting the 50 post count minimum is just running up the post count of the forum. It is very easy to see when guys/gals are just using the site to sell guns for a profit, and isn't that the issue? If I have missed something here, then I apologize.

coletrane811 you should not be out of the for sale if you are a site supporter
    and by your banner you are. If you can't get in PM a mod and have them take
    care of that for you. I think there were some issues with the site causing that
    problem for more people than just you.

coletrane811

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Noblesville
    coletrane811 you should not be out of the for sale if you are a site supporter
    and by your banner you are. If you can't get in PM a mod and have them take
    care of that for you. I think there were some issues with the site causing that
    problem for more people than just you.

Thanks for the info, I did not know that:cheers:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    It's Fenway's play house. He's been running it a long time before I got here.

What ever he want's to do is fine with me. I doubt he needs me to solve his problems for him or he would be asking me to.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom