• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Ok my wife finally received her permitt 5 months later! Of course she has done her home work, classes, independent study reading " In the Gravest Extreme, the role of the firearm in personal defense" She has been practicing as a family and she is on target. I dont want to start a caliber war here and really want to hear from the fairer sex if possible. So here is the question my wife will be carrying a Ruger SR22 she does not carry a purse. I finally convinced her of the value of being able to protect herself when she is out and about so i want to get her a comfortable holster, Does any one else carry this size firearm and what has worked best for you

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    161   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    Wife

My wife carries the same firearm and uses and Uncle Mike's inside the pants holster most of the time. I did find a leather that fit it well but she doesn't care for it.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Ok my wife finally received her permitt 5 months later! Of course she has done her home work, classes, independent study reading " In the Gravest Extreme, the role of the firearm in personal defense" She has been practicing as a family and she is on target. I dont want to start a caliber war here and really want to hear from the fairer sex if possible. So here is the question my wife will be carrying a Ruger SR22 she does not carry a purse. I finally convinced her of the value of being able to protect herself when she is out and about so i want to get her a comfortable holster, Does any one else carry this size firearm and what has worked best for you

generally speaking I'd advise people to not carry a 22. Better then no gun, yes, but there are better choices. Depending on the pistol, I should suggest a .38, .38 special, or 9mm.

Having said that, my wife likes the .380 and my mom and sister likes the 45 acp. Go to beech grove firearms and rent some guns for her to try.

fallenangel1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    generally speaking I'd advise people to not carry a 22. Better then no gun, yes, but there are better choices. Depending on the pistol, I should suggest a .38, .38 special, or 9mm.

Having said that, my wife likes the .380 and my mom and sister likes the 45 acp. Go to beech grove firearms and rent some guns for her to try.

Didnt the OP specifically ask for no "caliber war" comments? hes asking about carrying/holsters and would prefer to hear from women ??? I guess the liberals arent the only ones with poor reading comprehension! :P :D;)

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    I'm tagging here for interest. My wife is in the similar boat.

Are you looking for an IWB holster or OWB holster. My wife has said she wants to OC.

As a side note, I personally wouldn't put my wife in an Uncle Mikes holster. There's an LEO on here, GPD177, that makes some great holsters called Hooch Holsters. You should shoot him a PM. He can hook you up with an IWB or OWB kydex holster for a very fair price.

Keep us all updated and congrats on getting the family on the same page.

XDLover

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Delaware County
    There are some good videos on YouTube that a lady does about various holster types. Even how she wears them and comfort and function. Had my wife watch them. Seems that she liked the Ramora

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In

I suggest you look here:
    Women and Firearms - INGunOwners

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI

^^^^This.^^^^

The .22LR is a find round, immensely useful. It is NOT a personal defense round.

If she likes the SR22, there certainly are defensive handguns out there the same size.

As for holsters, quite a few good manufacturers out there. I picked up a Barsony pancake for my lady, and she seems to be quite happy with it.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Didnt the OP specifically ask for no "caliber war" comments? hes asking about carrying/holsters and would prefer to hear from women ??? I guess the liberals arent the only ones with poor reading comprehension! :P :D;)

Not starting a caliber "war" here...simply stating carrying a 22 is only a bit better then not carrying. Wouldn't you be concerned for your wife's safety if she only carries a 22 against a big guy advancing on her?

As I said, 22 is better then no gun but there are better options and even about that size of a pistol with minor kickback.

guncakes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    I've got a cheap Uncle Mikes IWB for my 9mm. It's been good to me for the first few months of carrying. By using an inexpensive (seriously, like $10!) one for a while, I now know what I am looking for in a holster. Let her carry for a while in a cheapy so she will know what she needs/wants in a holster. Then she can tell the folks at your LGS "I need a holster that does this, doesn't do that, I like to carry here..." etc and they can give her some direction. I have found the guys at the LGS are impressed when a chick knows her stuff, and bend over backwards to help out.

fallenangel1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Not starting a caliber "war" here...simply stating carrying a 22 is only a bit better then not carrying. Wouldn't you be concerned for your wife's safety if she only carries a 22 against a big guy advancing on her?

As I said, 22 is better then no gun but there are better options and even about that size of a pistol with minor kickback.

No one is arguing against you, but the OP specifically asked that caliber not be a part of the discussion. That's all I was saying.

11-B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012

My wife carries the sig p238...its a .380 and she loves it....she is a great shot with it she was hitting a 2 foot plate from 60 feet away :draw:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Fairer sex chiming in.

I do not carry .22 nor do I carry conceal IWB. But I do have one of the Ruger SR22 and it is a good firearm for carry, particularly if she is comfortable with it and proficient with it's operation.

Will your wife be carrying concealed only? Does she prefer IWB or not? I haven't holster shopped for years. And I carry in a big ugly OWB Serpa from Blackhawk (It matches the big ugly Glock :D). My suggestions would be to determine how she wants to carry first. Other factors to consider are material of holster and cost. Don't forget that a strong, durable belt can make a work of difference. Even great holsters can seem awful if the belt isn't up to the task of supporting the weight.

Research is a good thing, utilizing the links in this thread and others. But there's no substitute for the real thing. Unfortunately, that might mean you buy a few before you get the right one. I don't think there's any of us here that don't have the box of unused holsters.

Off the top of my head, the Crossbreed Supertuck and the MTAC are holster recommendations that I see a lot around the board for concealability. And I know a few INGO ladies that carry in these. I do not know if they offer SR22 models or not.

HTH

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Fairer sex chiming in.

I do not carry .22 nor do I carry conceal IWB. But I do have one of the Ruger SR22 and it is a good firearm for carry, particularly if she is comfortable with it and proficient with it's operation.

Will your wife be carrying concealed only? Does she prefer IWB or not? I haven't holster shopped for years. And I carry in a big ugly OWB Serpa from Blackhawk (It matches the big ugly Glock :D). My suggestions would be to determine how she wants to carry first. Other factors to consider are material of holster and cost. Don't forget that a strong, durable belt can make a work of difference. Even great holsters can seem awful if the belt isn't up to the task of supporting the weight.

Research is a good thing, utilizing the links in this thread and others. But there's no substitute for the real thing. Unfortunately, that might mean you buy a few before you get the right one. I don't think there's any of us here that don't have the box of unused holsters.

Off the top of my head, the Crossbreed Supertuck and the MTAC are holster recommendations that I see a lot around the board for concealability. And I know a few INGO ladies that carry in these. I do not know if they offer SR22 models or not.

HTH

This seems to be good advice for men or women.
    I'm not gonna offer advice. I'm a man, therefore unqual'd.

Here is a woman on You Tube that seems to be pretty knowledgeable.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/faliaphotography?feature=watch

She has several specific holster reviews to look at, I'm not going to link them all, go ahead and look.
    Here is one video with a review of a bunch of concealed carry holsters, but not all that she has.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogGBPVk5GQk&list=UUNn90bficsQbycHvrMBFdfw&index=71

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    *raises hand*

I don't have the box of unused holsters. I have two for my EDC sidearm and I use them both.

I have the argument with Sockmonkey (Mrs. HH, for those who don't know) all the time about proper belt/holster/carry. It will depend on how she wants to carry, where she wants to carry, and if she wants to conceal or OC. Kydex, leather, or kydex/leather hybrids are good ideas.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    Seems to me that holsters are personal preference items such as shoes or purses. Would you attempt to buy her a bra? Good luck buying one with which to surprise her.

You might consider purchasing a holster for it when you might carry it. She may like it? If not, all is not lost.

Top Bottom