• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Do not purchase one for her. Take her shopping. Let her give you input and try on more than a few if you can find them on the shelf. Look around at the range. I have let men and woman try any number of our holsters to see if they like them. Just like shoes....you have to try them on first.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Do not purchase one for her. Take her shopping. Let her give you input and try on more than a few if you can find them on the shelf. Look around at the range. I have let men and woman try any number of our holsters to see if they like them. Just like shoes....you have to try them on first.

that is what I ended up doing Went to Bass Pro shop not an ad or any thing just a statement of facts. While there we did not take in the firearm initally my plan as I already knew that they did not have any in stock. We had some time to waste So I asked her to handle a few other firearms She really liked the ruger sr9c so after that I went out to the car to get the sr22 checked it in at the front and found her a holster that she liked and she will use. It was a good trip because now I am going to get her SR9c as I know she likes it and finding ammo for it will not be an issue what so ever.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    that is what I ended up doing Went to Bass Pro shop not an ad or any thing just a statement of facts. While there we did not take in the firearm initally my plan as I already knew that they did not have any in stock. We had some time to waste So I asked her to handle a few other firearms She really liked the ruger sr9c so after that I went out to the car to get the sr22 checked it in at the front and found her a holster that she liked and she will use. It was a good trip because now I am going to get her SR9c as I know she likes it and finding ammo for it will not be an issue what so ever.

I have to give a +_1 to the SRC9 platform. My sister has one and I really like it. If I were a 9mm guy I would have one.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Not starting a caliber "war" here...simply stating carrying a 22 is only a bit better then not carrying. Wouldn't you be concerned for your wife's safety if she only carries a 22 against a big guy advancing on her?

In a word NO it has taken me 4 years to get her from refusing to even touch a firearm to wow this is fun. Past before our son was born guns bad! Present plinking is fun for the whole family. So no I am not concerned about her only carrying a 22 she is good with hit shoots tight groups with it and stingers feed every time and have never had one ftf.
    So yes I am not concerned

Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    SWI
    Not sure if you have found this out yet, but I've read the Sr22 fits nicely in 1911 3" barrel holsters. Been waiting on my paperweight Sr22 to get back from Ruger for the second time to try it out and see if its true. Not that my wife will be carry the gun as it can't seem to fire without malfunctions.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Took a class from a highly regarded trainer about 10 years ago and he surprised us when he said he would train a woman in his class using a 22..
    Target he gave her was the rectangle in the area across the eyes. Made sense to me.
    His reasoning was that even someone very large or drugged up would react when getting hit in the eye area, that the eye sockets were a natural "funnel" directly to the brain.
    Now if you can just find the ammo for her to get a little practice in with I think she will be as safe as anyone that is carrying. :D

[FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1911 Mechanic[/FONT]

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My uncle was a very big man. He was 6' 4" and 245. Mean as a snake when you pi$$ed him off. He was killed with a single .22 Lr shot to the lung. It bounced around off his rib cage and he was dead very fast. Never under estimate the ability of the little round that could, would and did.

mima07

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    central Indiana
    Plenty of good advice, suggestions about holsters.
    Remora makes a nice IWB holster for several brands of guns. Personally, I like the IWB for my Ruger LCR .38. They also make OWB holsters too.
    Home of the Original Remora No Clip IWB Concealment Holster Price about $30.

There are more expensive holsters but being a beginner handgun owner, I didn't want to invest a lot of money until I was comfortable wearing a holster. I did buy at Walmart a cheap Blackhawk pocket holster after my first gun purchase, and it's not bad, nor great. I still use it for quick trips taking my dog out for his potty walk early in the morning. A practical cheap holster for such things.

Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana
    I agree with all the advice to let her choose. Rent a few at a range for her and let her tell you what she likes or doesn't like about it. That said my wife choose a S&W .38 special. It sort of like choosing a puppy, they choose you.

Top Bottom