• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • buzzined

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    Crown Point
    Well personally I can drink a pot of coffee and go to sleep with no problem. When I go on long trips I tend to get pretty tired in the car, no amount of coffee or pop will keep me awake. The 5 hour energy does and for a good 4 - 5 hours. Amp or monster works also but they make you a little jittery and crash after an hour or 2.

So in my opinion the bad taste is worth it if coffee does't do it for ya.

Cannon762

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Gas City Area
    They create a good amount of Indiana jobs up in Wabash, so I don't hate them at all. In fact I think they don't really taste that bad. That said, I don't think I'd ever pay for one, I just have received quite a few of them as samples and give-away's. For reference, it's not *just* caffeine, and the 2000% of your B vitamins are water soluble and easily passed through urination. Still...I'm a Monster addict.

The owner of the company (Living Essentials) was recently in Forbes full-on admitting to stealing the idea. He said he was walking around a trade show and someone was trying to sell a larger size (16 or 20oz, I don't remember) version of the drink. He says he flipped the bottle over and memorized the ingredients and decided to make it smaller figuring that people who wanted energy weren't necessarily wanting to drink a huge can of something. He then spent a TON of money lawyering up and suing any competitors into the ground, bragging that he had a graveyard of bottles for all the other smaller companies he'd toppled.

Another tidbit is that he claims he never wanted to call it "5 Hour Energy" but "5 Hour Focus" because he believes it focuses you more than amp you up, however the FDA told him that he couldn't legally claim it gave you focus and thus the name was changed.

images

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    They're all disgusting. A friend drank 2 of them. He thought he was going to die and felt weird for about 36 hours. I'll only drink one if I NEED to. I'm not a big fan of coffee but I've been trying to drink it more than that crap.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    coffee is good for you and at least enjoyable.

sipping a 5 hour energy while reading the classifieds doesnt seem quite as pleasing. ;)

Mech45

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    NWI
    The stuff works for me with out any bad side affects. I don't sip it I just pound it like a shot. I work 12hr shifts and have a 1hr drive home from work so I keep a couple with me in case I start feelin sleepy on the drive home. I also use them to help with the transition from night shift to day shift. I'll stay up on my last midnight shift, instead of going right to bed, and then in the afternoon when I start dozing off I take one. That way I can hit the sack about 10pm and sleep till morning and be back in day shift mode.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Keep 'em in the fridge and knock it back like you would a shot of whiskey and they don't taste too awful.

Most of my driving is done at night, so I carry a couple in the cooler just in case I need a quick pick me up. I don't use them on a regular basis, a thermos of coffee usually does the trick for me.

For those who have a Costco membership, you can get the Kirkland brand there $42 for a box of 40. I've found they are just as effective.

JimmyR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Clark County
    +1 for 5 hour energy

I made it through college, grad school, working 16's in a psych hospital, and my current job working nights, and I still can't make myself like coffee. Just can't do it. I normally get my caffeine form diet coke, but when that's not enough, I go to the 5 hour either at the Thorton's down the street or in my car (if I plan ahead). I like the fact that I don't really feel it work, I just don't feel tired. I don't feel like I am on speed, just that I have the energy to keep me going for a few more hours. Like others have said, not an every day thing, but great when I need it.

Lafayette Yeti

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    The taste is horrible, I usually follow it with a long drink of chocolate milk to wash the taste away. I find it helps me feel more awake for 5-6 hours, but I can still fall asleep if I try. Doesn't give me the shakes like Monster Energy drinks can.

BDBHoover

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    Northside Indianapolis
    I work nights and on the weekends when I have quite a bit to do in that period I'll take a 5 hour but sometimes split it (take half) with a co-worker.... Gets the job done... Coffee makes me :poop: and I can't do energy drinks....

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Don't forget the long-term health effects of all that B6 and B12...

I do believe that there has been one study that has lead to a relationship between high levels of one of them and an associated type of cancer.

yes, I realize this is useless without a link. Yes, I also realize that one can determine that type of relationship between just about any substance on earth.

kreepin2g

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    new whiteland
    i drink coffee daily so no need for the 5 hour drink. only time ive used it was a 15 hour drive to florida left late at night took one about 2 hours into the drive and right at about 5hrs i started feeling tired. took another shot and was good to go the rest of the way. so for me it works great when driving helps keep me alert cause im kinda immune to coffee

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Those stupid little bottles now litter the sides of roads.

Their current ad featuring a woman dressed like she belongs on the Mary Tyler Moore show is quite the example of double speak. Watch and decode it for yourself, but, the gist is doctors recommend lower calorie energy drinks over higher calorie energy drinks for those who feel the need - nothing about doctors recommending you consume that crap.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    it doesn't work for me. i am sensitive to caffeine, but i can get by with a cup or 2 of organic coffee in the AM. I take a multi and a B12 supplement, so that's probably just as good anyway. the sugar/caffeine in some of the other drinks really mess me up!

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Those stupid little bottles now litter the sides of roads.

Their current ad featuring a woman dressed like she belongs on the Mary Tyler Moore show is quite the example of double speak. Watch and decode it for yourself, but, the gist is doctors recommend lower calorie energy drinks over higher calorie energy drinks for those who feel the need - nothing about doctors recommending you consume that crap.

That was my take on that commercial as well. Doctors aren't necessarily recommending that you drink them, but if you MUST drink an energy drink something lower in calories is better. If you don't pay attention though they try to make it sound like doctors recommend 5 Hr Energy. It's like saying, if you must shoot yourself in the leg use a smaller caliber pistol rather than a larger caliber pistol.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I used to take them to get me through the night drives sometimes when I was still an over the road driver. Helped a lot.

Top Bottom