• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • choppers

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2009
    Can someone educate me on 5.56 nato vs 223 remington? I have read were they say don't shoot 5.56 in a 223 chamber because 5.56 has more presure and will damage the gun, but then i have been told that it is the same cartridge. Please help!!:ar15:

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    While the external case dimensions are very similar, the .223 Remington and 5.56x45mm differ in both maximum pressure and chamber shape. The maximum and mean pressures for some varieties of the 5.56 mm (different cartridge designations have different standards) exceed the SAAMI maximums for the .223 Remington, and the methods for measuring pressures differ between NATO and SAAMI. The 5.56 mm chamber specification has also changed over time since its adoption, as the current military loading (NATO SS-109 or US M855) uses longer, heavier bullets than the original loading did. This has resulted in a lengthening of the throat in the 5.56 mm chamber. Thus, while .223 Remington ammunition can be safely fired in a 5.56 mm chambered gun, firing 5.56 mm ammunition in a .223 Remington chamber may produce pressures in excess of even the 5.56 mm specifications due to the shorter throat.

Top Bottom