• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lfrisb850

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2014
    Pierre
    I'm fairly new to reloading but I have been successful until now , I'm loading 200 gr lead bullets using 5.3 gr unique powder , an I have had 2 rounds lodge in the barrel while the others have worked fine .the gun is a new armscor 1911 bullets are .452 , I haven't had any problems with 230 gr plated bullets

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    So is the bullet getting stuck in the barrel while chambering a round or while shooting a round?

Also is the 200gr bullet a round nose or semi wad cutter?

packard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Welcome to INGO.
    My Hornady third edition shows 5.4 gr Unique is the minimum load for that bullet. At any rate, bullets lodging in the bore is a sure sign of not enough powder! Please believe me, it is very possible to seat a bullet into a case that contains NO POWDER. It only takes a moments distraction. Any change in your sequence (replenishing your primer supply for instance) requires utmost attention when resuming.
    I also recommend using a flashlight when visually checking for powder in the cases.
    Good luck.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Welcome to INGO.
    My Hornady third edition shows 5.4 gr Unique is the minimum load for that bullet. At any rate, bullets lodging in the bore is a sure sign of not enough powder! Please believe me, it is very possible to seat a bullet into a case that contains NO POWDER. It only takes a moments distraction. Any change in your sequence (replenishing your primer supply for instance) requires utmost attention when resuming.
    I also recommend using a flashlight when visually checking for powder in the cases.
    Good luck.
    That should explain it.

noylj

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2011
    Even 1.0gn of powder will get the bullet out. Even just a magnum primer used to be enough to get a lead bullet out of the barrel.
    Thus, 99.99% of the time, a bullet stuck in the barrel is "no powder."

The Drifter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Cedar Lake
    Don,t tear them down, easier to weigh a proper completed round . weigh all of the other loaded rounds from that batch ,if you have any come up 4 to 5 grains short , then those are the ones you fell asleep on . Wake up , stay safe.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Don,t tear them down, easier to weigh a proper completed round . weigh all of the other loaded rounds from that batch ,if you have any come up 4 to 5 grains short , then those are the ones you fell asleep on . Wake up , stay safe.

This will not work, but before you take my word for it, weigh about 25 of the bullets you used to load this batch, and I will bet you will find at least 3 grains difference between heaviest and lightest. Now with this much variation in the bullets alone, being able to tell how much powder is in the case is impossible.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    a lot of good discussion here, the case variation in weight will make it really hard to weigh rounds, it would work for 223 or 308 much better, starting at the very minimum load has not always worked for me I usually start about 1/2 throttle, I
    ve had plenty of autos not cycle the min loads

I also think single stage is a terrible way to load pistol, you really loose process control vs. a progressive. everything depends on a human doing things right, and thats a lot to ask because if you do a 1000 rounds and start counting the process the number is super hard to keep up with, everytime you pick up a case and set it down you have 2 process, then ad in prime charge, seat, crimp, you have just picked up and set down the cases 8000 times,

good luck and keep on shooting

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    a lot of good discussion here, the case variation in weight will make it really hard to weigh rounds, it would work for 223 or 308 much better, starting at the very minimum load has not always worked for me I usually start about 1/2 throttle, I
    ve had plenty of autos not cycle the min loads

I also think single stage is a terrible way to load pistol, you really loose process control vs. a progressive. everything depends on a human doing things right, and thats a lot to ask because if you do a 1000 rounds and start counting the process the number is super hard to keep up with, everytime you pick up a case and set it down you have 2 process, then ad in prime charge, seat, crimp, you have just picked up and set down the cases 8000 times,

good luck and keep on shooting

I don't think it's terrible at all. More time consuming maybe. If you make one mistake on a progressive you've made it on the whole batch. I don't load but a hundred rounds or so at a time. I use a single stage. I double triple check as I go. I'd drive you guys nuts reloading I'm sure! I haven't had a boo boo but I am new to reloading. I might think about progressive setup after I have a lot more experience. But not right now.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    If you make one mistake on a progressive you've made it on the whole batch.

I have to completely disagree with this statement. I don't even know where that comes from, but Until you get more rounds down range and realize that a 100 round batch is just the tip of the iceberg, Reloading is a hobby unto itself,

Top Bottom