• ...and so much more!
  • 1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    So if you make a setup mistake(OAL or powder measurement) it will automatically correct it's self in mid flight! ?? Think not! I think you are assuming that everyone is as perfect at setup as you are. I'll hopefully get there someday. As an inexperience reloader I'' do it 1 at a time. Until I am more experience. Then maybe I'll try it.

Kentuckyblue

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2014
    Hendricks County
    I have used my "Rock Chucker" single for years. I know exactly what is done to each case before the bullet is seated. The extra time spent doing it this way keeps me entertained and out of trouble.
    But I am not shooting hundreds of rounds each week, if I were, I probably would change my loading procedure. What really matters, is paying attention to the details and staying safe.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    So if you make a setup mistake(OAL or powder measurement) it will automatically correct it's self in mid flight! ?? Think not! I think you are assuming that everyone is as perfect at setup as you are. I'll hopefully get there someday. As an inexperience reloader I'' do it 1 at a time. Until I am more experience. Then maybe I'll try it.

Well now that your panties are in a wad, think it through, You dont just blindly sit down and start making ammo you load 10 and check everything, and then you do spot checks as you go but the press takes care of indexing, and does everything teh same each time, When you get an interuption you only have 3-4 cases to worry about where they are in the process, You dont have cases sitting out to be knocked over by some unforseen thing

If you do the stastistical analysis there are less mistakes with progressive than single stage due to human error

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Each to his "OWN" Tools...

Both systems work GREAT..If, and ONLY IF, the handloader knows, and follows all rules, and safety habits for THEIR system.

The point is, is there has to be a FAILSAFE system that works for each individual handloader..

I started with a RockChucker, and still use it for most of my rifle loads. The Dillon system is my 'Go To' pistol load system.

Most any handloader will agree that the Single Stage system is the best, and most safe way to start=You NEED to completely understand what each step does..

As said upthread, the most likely cause of the OP's problem was that he "Missed" one of the safety steps in His process--To inspect powder level in EVERY case...Bill.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Well now that your panties are in a wad, think it through, You dont just blindly sit down and start making ammo you load 10 and check everything, and then you do spot checks as you go but the press takes care of indexing, and does everything teh same each time, When you get an interuption you only have 3-4 cases to worry about where they are in the process, You dont have cases sitting out to be knocked over by some unforseen thing

If you do the stastistical analysis there are less mistakes with progressive than single stage due to human error

Real men don't wear panties. Including this one! And if I did they would not be in a wad over this, and for some reason you think I disagree with you. I don't. Don't be so edgy. We're fine here. All's good!

sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown
    Even 1.0gn of powder will get the bullet out. Even just a magnum primer used to be enough to get a lead bullet out of the barrel.
    Thus, 99.99% of the time, a bullet stuck in the barrel is "no powder."

Being the information given I have to say this is true. I have some load manuals from 25 years ago that a family member copied pages
    from for me and they were 1.0 grn lower than newer manuals (red dot. which is all i use in 45acp) I have loaded a little below minimum on occasion when developing loads and the bullet gets out of the barrel and rings steel. The load i like to use now with 230 lead is a little lower than what is minimum but works very well for my needs. Im not saying that it cant get lodged even with a light powder charge, but im going to say is was one you did not charge at all.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    not to tough.....get a 3/8" brass rod.....knock the bullets out of your barrel and buy a light for your press and pay attention when your loading!!!!!!!!!!!....pretty simple really.....

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    Both systems work GREAT..If, and ONLY IF, the handloader knows, and follows all rules, and safety habits for THEIR system.

The point is, is there has to be a FAILSAFE system that works for each individual handloader..

I started with a RockChucker, and still use it for most of my rifle loads. The Dillon system is my 'Go To' pistol load system.

Most any handloader will agree that the Single Stage system is the best, and most safe way to start=You NEED to completely understand what each step does..

As said upthread, the most likely cause of the OP's problem was that he "Missed" one of the safety steps in His process--To inspect powder level in EVERY case...Bill.
    :+1:

I had one batch that I missed an entire row, I got distracted -- kid , phone, something. They all ended up in the same mag and after the second squib I dropped the mag and taped it off, I pulled the remaining 10 or so rounds and 4 had no powder. At this point I'm fuming mad, trying to figure out where I ****ed up. I decided to look at my steps and figure out what had to be done so it didn't happen again.

I changed the direction I went across the loading tray, and as I inspect the rounds I physically touch each one and look for powder to move and look at the level inside the case.

drop45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    My empire of dirt
    When I used to reload on my single stage in batches I would use an inverted golf tee with a mark on it and drop it into each case, almost like a dipstick if you will, that seemed to help a lot. You of course need a different one for each powder/load change. Also every time I handled that tray I would look inside and check for powder. Now I just use my Dillon 650's for 9mm and .45's. All my revolver rounds are done on my redding t7 and are all double and triple checked. Takes a while but these are all magnum rounds loaded at near max levels/.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    I fill 50 cases with powder charge and place them in a loading block, I stand up outta my chair look thru 5 rows of 10 and move to the next step.

Top Bottom