• ...and so much more!
  • snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Brass receiver

Nope is is alumalloy reciever covered with a plate coated with some brass looking metal. At least the rimfires are.

The open top 1892 winchester actions (Win, browning,rossi, Uberti, ect) have the top eject are a bit smoother than a 1894 marlin action. They are much more complecated and involve many more parts than the marlin.

pricedo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Life Member NRA & GOA
    Brass receiver

Nope is is alumalloy reciever covered with a plate coated with some brass looking metal. At least the rimfires are.

The open top 1892 winchester actions (Win, browning,rossi, Uberti, ect) have the top eject are a bit smoother than a 1894 marlin action. They are much more complecated and involve many more parts than the marlin.

A complicated action consisting of many unnecessary parts that will fail over the long haul is not a good thing especially if it is in a lever package that weighs almost 9 pounds !!.

The same argument convinced me not to pay $1500 for one of the new Japchesters from Miroku and buy a pre-stupidsafety Rossi 92 for 1/4 the money. The pre-stupidsafety Rossi is the better gun which sticks to the simple, robust Browning design of the model 92.

The Japchester 92s from Miroku have a firing system that contains a lot more tiny parts than the simple John Browning 92 design called for just to have a bunch of "nannystatish" safety features.

If you are fortunate enough to have a legacy Winchester or Rossi 92 put the hammer in "half-cock" safety mode and observe how it is held rigidly in place.

If John Browning designed the safety it is good enough for me but apparently not for the nannystate & the lawyers.

How much safer does it need to be?

Seems to be an idea afoot that shooters are a bunch of wild-eyed rednecks who need a dozen safeties:redxdance: on a gun to keep from shooting themselves & each other.

Chapparal

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 16, 2011
    B'town
    Winchester, Browning, Marlin - huge differences in price! First two are, IMHO, better quality. The 1892 is good, 1894 is different. Are you going to add a scope?

I shoot with a peep sight. Either .44MAG or .45LC are great at 100 yards or less amazingly deadly. Do you have one or the other in pistol? Were you planning to match a pistol?

FWIW I felt the Winchester 1892 in .45 provided a smoother shot with less recoil than my Marlin 1894 in .44

bud1976

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2011
    I have looked at the puma versions and dont care for them they have always felt sloppy to me. Just my openion.

Top Bottom