• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Killion

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 11, 2013
    Indianapolis/warren
    I still don't understand how you ended up with a double. If you dropped on the first semi-stroke into the .40, removed the .40 (presumably with the powder intact) and finished the stroke, you got a "second" charge, but that should be the only one left...? The only way that comes to mind is that the .40 was unprimed (which also begs the question, "how would you not feel that on die #1?") and the powder you dropped into the .40 case all/mostly slipped out through the .40 casing's primer hole into the .45 casing, which WAS primed and held it. Even that scenario involves somehow pulling the .40 case out while the .45 stays in the plate, vs. taking the .45 out of the plate to deal with the issue.

I know, a slight veer on the topic, but still in the interest of helping people avoid a similar fate.

OP, thanks for posting it.

Sorry for not being to clear! I was posting from an iphone, and it is hard for me to type a long message!. The .40 case that was inside the .45 case was on station 1. I noticed it when I felt the resistance on the lever trying to resize/deprime. I lowered the shellplate just enough to remove the .40 case. Then I raised the shell plate to deprime the .45 case. This is how I double charged the case at station 2. If you do not lower the shell plate all the way, it wont automatically index to the the next location.

Just something to keep an eye open for! It is easy to get tunnel vision on the station that is having the problem. I would have probably caught it without the powder check safety but i was preoccupied with the issue at station 1.

I have reloaded a few thousand rounds on the 650 in the past few weeks since i bought it. There is a lot of things going on, if you mess up one station it can throw off the next station very easily!

Last edited:

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Op, Glad you're ok and thanks for sharing !

Not trying to be funny, but must ask how your trigger control was after that ? I couldn't fathom continuing on and not struggling myself... If I had experienced that, it would probably take me months to eliminate a serious flinch.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Sorry for not being to clear! I was posting from an iphone, and it is hard for me to type a long message!. The .40 case that was inside the .45 case was on station 1. I noticed it when I felt the resistance on the lever trying to resize/deprime. I lowered the shellplate just enough to remove the .40 case. Then I raised the shell plate to deprime the .45 case. This is how I double charged the case at station 2. If you do not lower the shell plate all the way, it wont automatically index to the the next location.

Just something to keep an eye open for! It is easy to get tunnel vision on the station that is having the problem. I would have probably caught it without the powder check safety but i was preoccupied with the issue at station 1.

I have reloaded a few thousand rounds on the 650 in the past few weeks since i bought it. There is a lot of things going on, if you mess up one station it can throw off the next station very easily!

Gotcha, thanks for the explanation.

praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Op, Glad you're ok and thanks for sharing !

Not trying to be funny, but must ask how your trigger control was after that ? I couldn't fathom continuing on and not struggling myself... If I had experienced that, it would probably take me months to eliminate a serious flinch.

Haha....not any worse than it already is :shoot:. Seriously though, after a couple shots to dial in the different trigger, it didn't even cross my mind. I shot my M&P better than I thought I would as I thought the change in triggers/platforms would screw me up more than anything.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Kaboom

I am using a Hornady Lock n Load with a Lee carbide four die set. Is there a way I can utilize a powder checker without deleting the bullet seating die or the final crimping die ?

I know that Hornady manufactures a COP powder checker. But with my four die set up, which allows me to replicate the factory crimp, I don't believe I can use the COP checker.

Is my thinking off base . . . . or is there another solution. I don't think I can apply the Dillon powder checker either due to the same four die issue.

Thanks in advance

gopurdue02

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 2, 2011
    I don't use a powder check for .45acp, but I visually check each case prior to placing the bullet. I set up my press and lighting with this in mind.
    This is what I see:
    P1000746Large_zps696635a2.jpg

P1000748Large_zpse18671be.jpg

!!!OH look, :noway: second one is a double charge (that I had to create from the next case in line.) It's quite obvious, but not something I have ever seen in +/-25000 rounds loaded on the 650.

Note - It doesn't appear that there is room for the bullet with a double charge of 4.5gr of Clays?

This is the point I was making in my original comment. In my hornady LNL I only have a double charge related to a malfunction elseware on the shell plate (casing got crushed, case didn't lock into shellplate, etc) and pull the handle twice while it is near the top. It takes a lot of hardwork and bad luck for this to happen IMO to create a double charge.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Good on you for telling this. And good on everyone else for sharing other ideas. Believe you are absolutely correct about what happened. I also visually check every case for powder level. Squib loads are always disconcerting. Makes a person nervous about where that powder went.

Nelg

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 27, 2013
    Elkhart
    Powder check powder check powder check powder check. Wait did I say powder check? I would never load on my 650 without my powder check in place. NEVER!!!!!

Top Bottom