• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mattritchie238

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Stopped at Ranger Supply today, and while talking with the guys, I was introduced to a seemingly magnificent creature from Liberty Ammunition. I couldn't believe my eyes but I was holding a 78 grain, lead free, hollow point in 45 ACP with a GAPING cavity. Liberty boasts 1900 fps and 625 ft lbs. of energy out of a +p load. Does anyone have any first hand experience with this round? These numbers dwarf my beloved Speer Gold Dot's (1080 fps and 518 ft lbs.) but I can't help but be a little suspicious. Are they too good to be true or are they really the coolest thing since sliced bread? Also, what are the 1911 guru's feelings about potentially running this ammo through a Springfield lightweight alloy frame?

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Stopped at Ranger Supply today, and while talking with the guys, I was introduced to a seemingly magnificent creature from Liberty Ammunition. I couldn't believe my eyes but I was holding a 78 grain, lead free, hollow point in 45 ACP with a GAPING cavity. Liberty boasts 1900 fps and 625 ft lbs. of energy out of a +p load. Does anyone have any first hand experience with this round? These numbers dwarf my beloved Speer Gold Dot's (1080 fps and 518 ft lbs.) but I can't help but be a little suspicious. Are they too good to be true or are they really the coolest thing since sliced bread? Also, what are the 1911 guru's feelings about potentially running this ammo through a Springfield lightweight alloy frame?
    That is a pretty small boolit

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Math checks out, for what its worth, but out of what length barrel? Also, why? Physics says no to a permanent wound cavity 12" long and 5" wide. People aren't made of ballistic gel, and I'm finding it real hard to believe a 78 grain projectile is capable of destroying 235 cubic inches of flesh.

Also note a reduction in penetration of 1/3 just passing through denim? Would it even make it through a leather coat and sweater?

It looks like a poor solution to a question that no one is asking, IMO.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    I just tried some of the 9MM 50 GR today at ITPs range.. Functioned my G-34 just fine and shot to the same point of aim with what seemed like half the recoil of the 115 GRs but I can't attest to what kind of wound cavity it might create. :)
    [FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1911 Mechanic[/FONT]

Last edited:

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I was shooting some .460 Rowland the other day; 185gr HP at 1550fps. It was pretty stout, but the comp makes a big difference. It makes the standard 1911 package a little longer, but I don't suppose there is any reason why you couldn't carry it for SD if one were so inclined.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    Sounds good if you think you will have to defend yourself from a big block of ballistic gel.

Otherwise it answers a question no one asked. The stopping power/muzzle energy and actual combat recorded effectiveness of existing 45acp is sufficient to end the fight given most human targets.

MolonLabe7

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Muncie
    Sectional density is extremely low. Won't penetrate for crap.

I was reading up on these today, the penetration was actually really good. Getting some in 9mm most likely. Insane velocity, light for daily carry, and accurate. look them up on youtube.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    8" is not good penetration. Especially when it's only a small chunk of a fragmented round that makes it that far, and being the mfers own test, I'm sure that was the very best result cherry picked from a slew of even less impressive results.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It does seem to good to be true. The .45 ACP was designed to be a slow moving battering ram. I have been smacked with a well thrown hard ball. Hurt like hell. I have also been blasted with a very well thrown softball. Put me on the ground and I am no midget.
    Make your own assumptions.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Maybe it could set off this useless jar of tannerite I have, since I don't have anything @ 2,000 FPS to do it. ( I bought the wrong one :D ). I thought about buying a 3" sabot slug which is rated at 2,000 FPS, but I don't have a rifled barrel, don't know how good I could shoot the thing.

mattritchie238

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Churchmouse, your logic speaks to me. Chalk one up to good advertising and flashy numbers, I guess. Good thing I let INGO chime in before I wasted any money! I think I'll be sticking with my 200 grain gold dots.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Maybe it could set off this useless jar of tannerite I have, since I don't have anything @ 2,000 FPS to do it. ( I bought the wrong one :D ). I thought about buying a 3" sabot slug which is rated at 2,000 FPS, but I don't have a rifled barrel, don't know how good I could shoot the thing.

I will set it off for you....pick your poison.

Boonl1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Indy
    Just like the ballistics of the FN5.7. You can kill all sorts of naked people with it, but if they are wearing denim, or a leather vest, you will give them a really, really, ugly bruise.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    So everyone is saying a simple leather coat will protect me from a little bitty .22 going a 3rd slower than a bullet that weighs twice as much? Guess is time to get me some leather pants then too

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Churchmouse, your logic speaks to me. Chalk one up to good advertising and flashy numbers, I guess. Good thing I let INGO chime in before I wasted any money! I think I'll be sticking with my 200 grain gold dots.

This is why I stay with the .45 ACP
    If you are going to throw a projectile at someone in anger...throw all that is available and make it count.

Welcome to ingo.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    So everyone is saying a simple leather coat will protect me from a little bitty .22 going a 3rd slower than a bullet that weighs twice as much? Guess is time to get me some leather pants then too

I don't know that anyone is saying that. Due to differences in sectional density, the .22 would have an easier time getting through a leather jacket than this round would.

A standard 40g .22 has a sectional density of about .116.
    This cartridge would have a sectional density of about .055.

Higher numbers indicate deeper penetration given the same amount of force, if other factors are equal.

Think of it like this: You have a dart and you have a flat washer. They both weigh the same. Which requires more force to throw and penetrate a piece of cardboard? Intuitively you know the dart penetrates easier. The math behind why is, in part, sectional density.

Top Bottom