• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Rugers... Super Blackhawk ( SA ), or the Redhawk or Super Redhawk in DA. My favorite has always been the Redhawk. Built like a tank, but not quite as heavy to lug around as the Super Redhawk.

Jimbo Kern

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2010
    You need to flesh out more details pal.

I'm going to assume your talking about 44 magnum, but we all know what they say about assumptions.

For $650 you can get a Ruger Blackhawk. For $750 you can get a Smith & Wesson 629. Those are the best two DA 44 mags out there today. Each one has its own positives and negatives.

The Ruger Blackhawk is about a bill cheaper, and a bit stronger of an action. The S&W 629 will be lighter for the same BBL length, and I find they have a better trigger and nicer controls.

End of the day, no writ answer one way or the other is going to answer this for you. You need to experience both and decide for yourself.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    You need to flesh out more details pal.

I'm going to assume your talking, about 44 magnum, but we all know what they say about assumptions.

For $650 you can get a Ruger Blackhawk. For $750 you can get a Smith & Wesson 629. Those are the best two DA 44 mags out there today. Each one has its own positives and negatives.

The Ruger Blackhawk is about a bill cheaper, and a bit stronger of an action. The S&W 629 will be lighter for the same BBL length, and I find they have a better trigger and nicer controls.

Ruger Blackhawk are their Single actions. Super Blackhawk in .44.

Rugers double actions are the Redhawks or Super Redhawks

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    Best bang for the buck is Ruger. Bought my first Super Blackhawk over 20 years ago. Have fired thousands of rounds through it, and it still shoots as well as the day I bought it. Like it so much that a few years ago I got a good deal on a Super Blackhawk Hunter so I picked it up. Also have a Redhawk and it shoots as well as both of the Blackhawks. S&W makes a good gun too, love my 686 and the couple of 629s I have fired were very accurate, but if you are going to handload and want to fire full house 44 mag loads buy a Ruger.

Last edited:

bigmedicine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood
    Agree on the trigger on the Smith, but you still may want to handle the Redhawk. This latest model has a pretty decent trigger. Good luck with your choice.

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    I bought my Super Blackhawk (Ruger) about ten years ago. Have never regretted it. Might scope it this year. The orange/white tab fell out of the front sight ramp a while back. Taken a couple of deer with it. Bought the Blackhawk instead of the Redhawk cause I figured for hunting it was going to be a single action shot anyway, so why pay extra for a Redhawk. Don't like Ruger's factory grips, got a set of pachmeyer (sp?) grips and all is good.

Dawall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Lake County
    The Ruger Super Redhawk in 44 or 45LC wins by far especially if you want to shoot dynamite loads through it like 300 grain and lots of it. S&W or the discontinued Colt Anaconda are great but they do get loose if you put a lot through them.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    snip

snip.

You can get a 10 1/2" Super Blackhawk or 7 1/2" stainless Super Blackhawk for $550. I really like the feel of the 7 1/2" Super Blackhawk, and much prefer the grips.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    what dou guys think about the .45lc n what revolver would u go with for that. other than the judge.

.45 Colt is a ton of fun to shoot in standard factory loadings, and can be loaded very hot in Rugers and Contenders to hunt just about anything you should be hunting with a handgun. My choice of gun would be Ruger Bisley Blackhawk.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    If you will be doing any type of reloading with stout power then teh Ruger is worth it's weight in gold. While teh S&W's trigger is nicer out of the box, there is a lot to say for teh strength of teh Ruger. Not to say the S&W cant hang in there wiuth the hottest factory loads, the Ruger will handle any hot load withing reason. The S&W might be the Prom Queen, but sometimes you just want to get down and dirty in the locker room with a cheerleader, Ruger gets down and dirty!

Top Bottom