• ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've owned:

Ruger Super Blackhawk 7 1/2" (had a screw break off, tiny grip on pistol)
    Ruger Super Redhawk 7 1/2" (huge & heavy, but nice for recoil)
    Ruger Redhawk 5 1/2" (didn't care for trigger, but otherwise just fine)

and currently

S&W 629 4" (can't get a hogue grip tamer, overwise just fine)

All the guns were good guns and they all had their strengths. I bought and sold them for different reasons over the years and the reason I've got a S&W now is because I came across a steal on one. Between Ruger & S&W, flip a coin and see what fits your hand better.

Jimbo Kern

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2010
    Ruger Blackhawk are their Single actions. Super Blackhawk in .44.

Rugers double actions are the Redhawks or Super Redhawks

Forgive my ignorant confusion of similar product names.

The POINT of my post was that OP should buy what fits HIM, not just throw down $500-$700 because a group of random strangers told him to buy something. :rolleyes:

OP: Anyone on this forum would call you foolish for doing this with any other commodity... but because its a GUN suddenly first hand experience and personal preference doesn't matter, and everyone wants you to buy what THEY did, and for THEIR reasons. This is gun forum buffoonery at its worst. Handle these guns in person, do some research, and make up your own mind!

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    With respect to fit, one of the nice things about revolvers, as compared to say Glocks for example (3rd gen and prior), is that you can tailor the fit a fair bit with aftermarket grips - big, small, in-between, finger grooves, no finger grooves, etc.

I've never yet met a revolver that couldn't be made to fit most folks grip-wise.

The grip/frame geometry is a different matter. Some folks have a real preference for the "plow handle," "Bisley," or "double action" style grips and how that interacts with recoil by either tending to roll up in the hand or push straighter back into the hand.

olzkool

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2010
    I got a raging bull on the cheap and figured it would just be a beater for the price I paid but it has been siprisingly good to me

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    OP: Anyone on this forum would call you foolish for doing this with any other commodity... but because its a GUN suddenly first hand experience and personal preference doesn't matter, and everyone wants you to buy what THEY did, and for THEIR reasons. This is gun forum buffoonery at its worst. Handle these guns in person, do some research, and make up your own mind!

What the heck?? Who you call'in a buffoon??? Here is what was asked/requested/stated in the original post: what would you say is the best .44 revolver for quality and price?

No one said that one was worthless and the other THE ONLY ONE TO GET. For a product/gun I know nothing about I would ask here. Answers seem to run the gamut but are reasonable and filled with information. Would rather ask here and sort through the answers than stand at a counter with a guy that is paid to sell me something, anything to make a commission/sale. He has a brain, he asked, he can reask, he can ask for further comments on a specific answer. Your last sentence is what I see on here from many and agree with. But man, you and me are newbies here, don't come into someone's house and start calling them names!

I also agree about the addition of grips. Ruger grips do not fit my short fingers as a rule, a set of pachmeyers make them fit my hands like a well worn glove. So yes, grips can easily be changed and a good gun shop will help you try other grips.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom