3M Security Film installation . . . before a gun safe?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Im just curious but what is the installed price of the 3M film? You can quote per square foot, or how ever they do.

After your ordeal Ive thought about installing this at my house as well.
    -1 for not reading post [STRIKE]#9[/STRIKE] ;). Actually post 6 (Thanks to Muddy Fork for pointing that out!)
    3M Security Film installation . . . before a gun safe? - Page 4 - INGunOwners

There is a link in that post that takes you to the cost (for my install) that will occur on Monday since melensdad "broke" the installer guy.

The price per square foot you can figure out from my measurements and price per window panel. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Sort of an interesting twist on things.

One of the detectives who is working on the case of my home robbery and is now interested in buying the 3M Security Film for his house. He was unaware of this stuff and is very impressed with the performance at slowing/stopping entry through windows.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    While you have good points about the windows, let me point out that if you lock the door coming in from your garage, even if it's a Steel door you're not really protecting much... the majority of door kick ins are possible because of the door frame, not because of a weak door.

Where do you find steel door frames? I've looked but can't seem to locate any.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Also don't forget this device.
    Security Door Brace. OnGARD Door Brace Prevents Burglaries & Home Invasions.

Check out the videos. I think it's the same concept as yours just applied at a different area of the door.

The problem with that is it also prevents normal entry. It seems great for security while you are home, but if you leave the house and that is in place you cannot enter your own home through a door protected by that device.

The frame reinforcement plate I have is always in place and allows normal use of the door by anyone with a key or code.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    The problem with that is it also prevents normal entry. It seems great for security while you are home, but if you leave the house and that is in place you cannot enter your own home through a door protected by that device.

The frame reinforcement plate I have is always in place and allows normal use of the door by anyone with a key or code.

True but with the latter device you won't get no "no-knock swat" raids either. ;):D:laugh:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Well they got here bright & early at 7:30AM and are just about done. They are working on the last two windows (the smallest ones). The biggest delay for them was having to remove the window locks in order to install the film. Otherwise the 2 guys are going rather quick.

I may have to re-glue in the magnets to the security system as in the process of washing the windows and using the water based solution to add the film the double sided tape holding the magnets (ie. the base unit I have already drilled into the window trim) some have come off. **SIGH**

Or I can do what I used in the garage. Ran out of double sided tape and instead used super-glue on the metal part of the door. Hey it's a magnet and that door is putting a lot of stress/vibrations on the little magnet so I figure the double-sided tape won't hold.

Last edited:

P-Shooter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Great info in this thread! I'd seen storm doors and windows before that had the poly sandwich which made them more resistant to breakage, but had no idea that a aftermarket film could accomplish more or less the same result. I'd considered replacing all my windows with "hurricane" windows that you see in the gulf states, but this idea is much easier. First though, I'm definitely going to look into those door frame reinforcements. I installed the kits that are available in hardware stores to help reinforce your existing hardware, but the device listed here is a much better option. I've got a "budget safe" already, but the film and frame device would be a great defense against opportunistic crimes. Which is about the only thing we have around here so far. Leaving the garage door open, or the front or back door unlocked, etc. A buddy of mine had somebody smash the front window of his apartment in a few years ago, cause he had a game boy charging on a window sill while he was home. They fled when he yelled at them, but that gave me pause about having anything tempting within sight of prying eyes. Never been a believer of the "it can't happen here" syndrome...Just been limited on the cash side...

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Huh...

As in I had not considered a Material like this was available...

My house has 3/8" Lexan Storm Windows... ;)

Oh I see now.
    Here is something else "kool" that I just found out. My big front windows I installed the heat + security film which is the more expensive film than just the security one. It design to help stop heat transfer in addition to the security. It has a small tint to it and my living room during the day is an oven since the sun it full blown on the windows to the point that we have to have the shades close or else bake. Well today we have had the shades open and the room is nice! No heat but lots of sunlight.

So I just went outside to throw away the trash and one thing I always hated about those windows is when they were open you could see right into my house. Well as I walked to the back I noticed that I could NOT see into the house. I saw the reflection of the driveway instead. If I stopped and really stared I could make out some of the inside of the house. The kids got next to the window and I could see some of their faces but had to really concentrate to see them. NICE! :rockwoot:

Had I known this I think I would have spent the extra cash and done all the 1st floor windows/doors like that to keep anyone from looking it! That flim plus the window shades shut give a nice "you can't see me, but I see you".

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I am definitely going to have to look into these products for Our next home...

I am also looking into doing roll up shutters as well. I had them on a couple of Homes I had in Germany.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Oh I see now.
    Here is something else "kool" that I just found out. My big front windows I installed the heat + security film which is the more expensive film than just the security one. It design to help stop heat transfer in addition to the security. It has a small tint to it and my living room during the day is an oven since the sun it full blown on the windows to the point that we have to have the shades close or else bake. Well today we have had the shades open and the room is nice! No heat but lots of sunlight.

So I just went outside to throw away the trash and one thing I always hated about those windows is when they were open you could see right into my house. Well as I walked to the back I noticed that I could NOT see into the house. I saw the reflection of the driveway instead. If I stopped and really stared I could make out some of the inside of the house. The kids got next to the window and I could see some of their faces but had to really concentrate to see them. NICE! :rockwoot:

Had I known this I think I would have spent the extra cash and done all the 1st floor windows/doors like that to keep anyone from looking it! That flim plus the window shades shut give a nice "you can't see me, but I see you".

Wow... I think I'm going to follow your "If I had known this" methodology and have the thermal/tinted film applied across the board in my house (only going to be 7&1/2 windows and a sliding glass door.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    The funny thing was the installer had a hard time doing the main front window with the heat/security film. He said it's thicker than the regular film and it's typically only used on commercial properties with BIG store front windows. He had never done it before on a house and was not use why I would want it. :rolleyes: :sheep:

Top Bottom