3M Security Film installation . . . before a gun safe?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    $500 to $600 is a cheap safe. The good ones cost 3 to 4 times that amount.

And while you make some good points I think most people tend to "harden" their homes in layers of security. Starting with obvious things like a deadbolt on the door, then moving up to reinforced door frames, then moving up to alarm systems, then using outside measures like planting thorn bushes under the windows, etc. Anything that DETERS someone is a good thing. Anything that SLOWS them down is also a good thing.

This is just another layer of security.

Yes 5-600 could be a cheap safe..... Depending on size! That's why I mentioned the fact that it depends on how many guns you are trying to secure!
    As mentioned above, it sounds like you are building a good system! I was just replying to your original post which sounded to me like you were saying that a cheaper safe + window film was a better choice than a better safe and no film. I was just pointing out that the windows and-or safe are just a small part of home security. But you already know that. I must have missed your report about your break in.... Hope you didn't lose too many irreplaceables! I know what it's like to be violated like that...not fun!
    But no matter what, you have PETS, FAMILY MEMBERS, and many other types of valuables to secure. Some are valuable in the monetary sense, others in the sentimental sense. The FILM will give you an added layer of security that protects vulnerable spaces.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Yup, but what happens when you are away and people let themselves into your house?

I am Cornfused :D The Gun Guy comment was directed toward Steve (INGO Member) and Window Guy. In other words I'd like the 3M Material Installed Professionally by someone that I can Trust NOT some dingalings from the Yellow Pages

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    I am Cornfused :D The Gun Guy comment was directed toward Steve (INGO Member) and Window Guy. In other words I'd like the 3M Material Installed Professionally by someone that I can Trust NOT some dingalings from the Yellow Pages

Yeah, this is how I read you Sarge....

And I'll +1.... I'd like to know if any of our INGO'rs do these types of installation/window work as I plan on replacing a minimum of 3 windows before winter sets in.

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    Just thought I'd throw a link in here to save someone a search. I believe Anderson has something like this on their windows as a special series of windows.

Personally, this security film makes a lot of sense if it slows down or deters the BG's from getting into your residence. Line-X also has some ballistic coating you can put on walls too. It's probably not economical or visually suitable for homes, but for other specific areas it seems to be useful.

Let us know the quality of work these guys do and the final installation.

BTW, are getting a solar film or just a clear one?

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Just thought I'd throw a link in here to save someone a search. I believe Anderson has something like this on their windows as a special series of windows.

Personally, this security film makes a lot of sense if it slows down or deters the BG's from getting into your residence. Line-X also has some ballistic coating you can put on walls too. It's probably not economical or visually suitable for homes, but for other specific areas if seems to be useful.

Let us know the quality of work these guys do and the final installation.

I am getting SOME windows with Solar + Security properties and SOME windows that are just Security.

They guys are working hard, seem to be nice guys, progress is going smoothly but there are still only 2 of them here. The other guys are still lost. Darn GPS can't find my home!

One guy is cleaning the other is installing.
    photo-7.jpg

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    J

I'm getting the solar for the big front window. The rest are just the clear glass. Doing 2nd floor more out on concern on trees smashing the glass where my little on sleeps. daughter sleeps on top bunk right next to window which has los to neighbor's tree.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    As I said before, Mernards has one with the glass that is hard to break.
    Hard to break? As in a concrete block will bounce off of it? Throw a concrete block at a window with this security film and it will bounce back at you. Throw the same concrete block at the same window 10 times and 10 times that concrete block will bounce back at you.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    that would definitely be a plus on doors with windows. our front door has 3 windows in it, and it looks really nice, but one of the windows is in arms reach of the deadbolt and main lock... good luck getting through that 3M stuff to flip the lock.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    If I remember correctly Discover channel had a show called it takes a thief and they installed it on almost every house they featured in the show. I believe they said that if a criminal thinks it will take more than a few seconds to get in then they most likely won't rob the house. So inexpensive safe and the window stuff sounds like a good idea to me.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    That is only 1 of my many dollhouses!

Did you want to come over and see my doll collection too?

Is that wrong?

Here is part of mine. ;)
    dolls_001.jpg

Now if I could do the weird science experiment on this one:
    dolls_002.jpg

If you are talking about this type, then :puke:
    bratz_dolls-12303.jpg

If you are talking about this type, then :rockwoot:
    2006.jpg

But just for you we can buy you these.

4%20voodoo%20dolls.gif

lol.gif

If I remember correctly Discover channel had a show called it takes a thief and they installed it on almost every house they featured in the show. I believe they said that if a criminal thinks it will take more than a few seconds to get in then they most likely won't rob the house. So inexpensive safe and the window stuff sounds like a good idea to me.

That was one good show! They showed how simple changes could go a long way. They also featured a wall mounted lock box where you could put all your car keys to give the thief even more delay. Anyone know the type/brand they used? I'm looking for one of those.

& yes every little second counts cause if it looks like too much trouble most theives will go elsewhere where it may be easier.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008

True.

What I understand is there are various factors that criminals consider.

VISUAL -
    • does it look like an easy target?
    • does it look 'messy' in the yard, if so then neighbors may not notice any disarray the criminals cause.
    • are there 'alarm company' stickers on doors/windows?
    • can they see cameras or other things that will cause them to be identified?

PHYSICAL -
    • are the security layers real or fake? Generic stickers or security stickers that are not from a known security company?
    • are their thorn bushes or decorative plants under the windows?
    • is the deadbolt cheap or a quality unit?
    • do the doors look solid?
    • are the windows accessible or raised?

THEN THERE IS THE ACTUAL BREACH or attempt:
    if they can't get in QUICKLY they tend to leave, the longer they are outside working on gaining entry the more likely they will get caught even if your alarm system is not already playing dial-a-prayer.

some people want a 'silent' alarm, others want a loud siren. I'm a siren guy. I want the people to be stopped during the breach and I want them scattering like roaches when the lights turn on. The idea of a silent alarm is to catch them in the act. If you live in an area where police response time is rapid this may be an option for you to consider.​

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Well it took longer than expected, largely because not all the workers showed up. Then one got injured. But the job is done.

I feel better and more secure. Still have a couple things I'd like to do that will increase security at the house, but overall I'm pretty happy with the way things are going.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Im just curious but what is the installed price of the 3M film? You can quote per square foot, or how ever they do.

After your ordeal Ive thought about installing this at my house as well.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    . Darn GPS can't find my home!

I want to hear more about how you arranged this little security measure. ;) Is this like the news story from a couple of years ago when Dick Chaney (I think it was) paid to have his home not visible by Google Earth?:D

Or is the real story that one of the 3 refused to wear a blindfold while riding in the back of your van to get to your house?:cool::shady:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom