• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bw210

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Kouts, IN
    Why would anyone choose a .380 for an EDC with So many choices in 9mm, 40 s&w and 45 acp in the same size package:dunno: Ammo technology has softer recoil ammunition for almost any caliber if needed.

If you carry a gun and need it to STOP THE THREAT IMMEDIATELY - you better have at least a service caliber .38 special with some +p's.

Yes, the .380 cartridge will kill - but I don't want to wait for bleedout when a 300lb crackhead is charging at me. I want some serious energy transfer to the BG's chest. My:twocents:

BloodBought

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    .380 issue

I just purchased a .380 for my wife to carry. My thinking is this for the whole issue... the best caliber to have in a gun fight is the one you bring. For some, the bigger profile of larger calibers keeps them from bringing it. For others, it may be the bigger price tag. This whole issue seems funny to me really and it's akin to the .45 vs. 9mm one. If I know I'm going to a gun fight, I ain't bringing a pistol anyway. As far as waiting for the charging perp to bleed out... if you shoot them between the running lights at 5 yards away... the only violence you may suffer is the slam of their vertical bag of bones as it dissipates its forward momentum. In reality, I think the noise of your first shot will diffuse 99% of the attacks we all think about.

Being charged by a grizzly sounds a lot scarier to me. :twocents:

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    I have and sometimes carry a Sig p232. It is a very well made gun that carries both advantages and disadvantages for me. The biggest advantage is its narrow profile that allows the gun to disappear during IWB carry -- that and it's drop-dead gorgeous looks.

As for round potency, regardless of what the "experts" say about penetration, there a lot of people that have met their maker compliments of the .380 round. I have no hesitation about carrying a .380.

I purchased one Sig p230 awhile back, now I'm getting another one :): And have no hesitation carrying either of them, or the 1903/8 colt, or the walther.....

I purchased the original one to replace my colt 1903/8 in coat pocket carry, but am now after an iwb holster to carry it. They shoot great and the factory charts for testing at 20m were within an inch....:D

The 380 will do what its made to do, and the critical defense design is a step forward.

Edit: I also carry the 230's and 1903/8 for days that I don't feel like carrying my glock 33.....lol

Canes173

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jan 9, 2011
    Crown Point
    I always have my kel tec .380 in my pocket with corbon ammo. It's usually my back up to a colt new agent .45, but sometimes, usually in the summer, the colt sits in the car. The .380 is better than no gun at all.

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    I have a Bersa Thunder 380. It has proven to be accurate,
    reliable and easy to conceal. I have been able to purchase
    all the 380 ammo I want lately, here in Ohio. The prices have
    come way down. Having said that, 380 ammo is still expensive,
    compared to 9MM. Many new 9MM pistols, are as easy to
    conceal as a 380. A Bersa 380 with Corbon DPX ammo, is a
    very formadable weapon.
    I stick with my Bersa 380, because of it's reliability, and its
    accuracy. If I had to do it over again now, I would choose
    the 9MM.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I like the Kel Tecs. Nothing else out there thinner that I know of. Sold my P3AT off when I bought a Sig 238, and wish I had it back. Don't get me wrong, I love the Sig, and I'm not getting rid of it. As far as shootability goes, the Sig wins hand down, but the way the Kel Tecs disappear is a wonder of comfort and concealability.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    For target shooting...maybe! For personal defense...not at all!!! Don't own one...sold the one's I had...I had two (2) Bersa Thunder .380's...fun guns to shoot...and very accurate, but not very realistic when it came to personal protection!

At the minimum, a 9mm...but preferrably a .40 S&W or .357SIG round...just to be adequate in the area of personal protection / defense.

When you understand what it takes to truely incapacitate another individual (i.e., a 'bad guy'), you first need to understand performance...basically, penetration and expansion, with penetration being a higher step up on the priority list. The .380acp provides neither of those requirements...adequately! Yeah, you might get lucky...but in stepping up to a heavier caliber, you can be sure! Hopefully, you'll never need it, but if you are attacked...and feel the need to defend yourself, being able to is important.

broknaxl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    I have a Colt Government Model .380 and really like it. It's not what I always carry but am comfortable when I do.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    When you understand what it takes to truely incapacitate another individual (i.e., a 'bad guy'), you first need to understand performance...basically, penetration and expansion, with penetration being a higher step up on the priority list. The .380acp provides neither of those requirements...adequately! Yeah, you might get lucky...but in stepping up to a heavier caliber, you can be sure! Hopefully, you'll never need it, but if you are attacked...and feel the need to defend yourself, being able to is important.
    (emphasis added by me)

Handgun calibers are all pretty anemic.

Every handgun is a compromise. If I could carry an FAL in my front pants pocket, that would be my choice. But it's not really feasible. You may think that a .40 or .45 is dramatically ahead of the .380, but we're talking about the difference between 9 feet and 12 feet in relation to a hundred yards.

And speaking of what it takes to incapacitate a human being, there are two options: 1) Trauma to the central nervous system (brain, brain stem, spine), or 2) Shock caused by loss of blood pressure. Greater penetration and expansion will generally cause a more significant wound, which leads to quicker onset of shock. But a .380 will rip through an aorta just the same as the all-powerful .45 ACP.

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    ive got a berretta in a .380. very nice but bigger than alot of other .380's out there.
    as far as the stopping power. i feel that shot placement is more important than caliber, but thats just my 2 cents

good luck

jake

BulkAmmo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2010
    .380 acp

My main carry is a compact 9mm. I prefer a full power cartridge, but a lot of folks wouldn't call a 9mm full power. I do carry a LCP as my bug. Which is the only time when I use an ankle holster.

I do pocket carry the LCP in the summer. I don't feel under gunned in the summer with a .380 acp. In the winter I don't use the .380 acp as a main carry due to winter clothing. When I carry a bug in the winter I use a 642.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I carry a P3AT daily. My caliber preference would be .45acp. I depends on the individual. I happen to like the fact that it's small, light weight, and easily concealed. The idea of a pocket pistol isn't to achieve great accuracy, but to have something to help you fight your way out of a bad situation. With quality ammunition and good shot placement it can be very effective. After all, if you knew you would be in a gun battle you'd probably take a rifle.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I frequently carry a SIG P230 loaded with Federal Hydra Shoks and don't feel undergunned at all. It is light, easy to carry IWB, accurate and rock solid dependable. I often carry a spare mag in my pocket. All the talk about one shot stops and major caliber power are fine for some but I believe that a 380 that is properly placed will usually stop the person from doing what they are doing. If not you can easily shoot em again. I'm not really out to kill anyone, just stop them from attacking me. If I am going into a rough area I might carry my LW Commander in .38 Super or .45 or maybe even my G20 or G33, but the SIG is usually on my hip anymore. Carry what you feel comfortable with and can shoot well.

whocares

Shooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Nov 9, 2010
    Clarksville, IN.
    BDA

About 10 years ago I purchased a new S&W Sigma 9mm compact. I hated it. Thought it eas crap. Sold it and bought a Browning BDA .380 and absolutely loved it. The Browning was a great shooter and with super accuracy. I would highly recomend the Browning BDA 380 and would rather have a 20 year old used BDA over alot of the newer compacts out there. I really loved that pistol.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Not to "knock" anyone BUT....
    I never understood ankle holsters. Still dont.
    Do you ask someone to wait while you bend over to get your ankle carry weapon?
    Do you spend a lot of the time rolling around on the ground?
    Are you constantly tying your shoelaces?

I would agree. To me, the only thing sillier than an ankle holster are those "deep concealment" jock-strap rigs that you wear all the way down around the family jewels. I can just imagine the scenario of someone trying be be nonchalant about drawing out of one of those things! :laugh:

Top Bottom