• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    I have been looking at carrying a .380 LCP Max vs a 9mm subcompact as my EDC. While the LCP Max gives me a decent round count and disappears into my pocket ever so nicely, I am a bit concerned about the stopping power of that caliber. I have more confidence in the 9mm ballistics, but the 9mm pistols are a bit heavier and bulkier than the LCP. That makes them more likely to be a holstered pistol than a pocket gun. The old saying that any gun you carry on you is better than the one sitting at home in the safe. And slipping a gun into your pocket is quicker and easier than putting on a holster and carrying either IWB or OWB. But in a quick deployment situation, holster carry wins every time. However, concealment is never a question with a pocket gun as well.

I would very interested in hearing your opinions on .380 vs 9mm for EDC. Would you trust your life or that of your loved one to a .380? Pocket or holster carry?

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I have been looking at carrying a .380 LCP Max vs a 9mm subcompact as my EDC. While the LCP Max gives me a decent round count and disappears into my pocket ever so nicely, I am a bit concerned about the stopping power of that caliber. I have more confidence in the 9mm ballistics, but the 9mm pistols are a bit heavier and bulkier than the LCP. That makes them more likely to be a holstered pistol than a pocket gun. The old saying that any gun you carry on you is better than the one sitting at home in the safe. And slipping a gun into your pocket is quicker and easier than putting on a holster and carrying either IWB or OWB. But in a quick deployment situation, holster carry wins every time. However, concealment is never a question with a pocket gun as well.

I would very interested in hearing your opinions on .380 vs 9mm for EDC. Would you trust your life or that of your loved one to a .380? Pocket or holster carry?
    Sig P365, Glock 48, Springfield Hellcat are all options for 9mm that would provide concealability, capacity, and capability with the 9mm.

Get a good holster, keep buying them until you find the one that works best for you.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I fully support everyone and encourage them to carry the gun they are most comfortable and competent to shoot with. My issue with “mouse” guns like the LCP is that they are often times more difficult to shoot well at all than most other larger pistols.

Personally I only carry 9mm or 45ACP guns, my criteria for CCW guns are I need sights I can shoot well and a grip I can get a full hand on. That almost by default rules out LCP style guns for me. I have also nevr really pocket carried, I can’t stand it moving around in your pocket and I even had a S&W 360PD which is probably the easiest gun to pocket carry ever made (but it sucked to shoot).

Currently running an Sig P365X in 9mm with a Wilson Combat grip and Holosun 507C in a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 holster. Another benefit of belt holster carry is you are pretty much guaranteed the same draw every time, no chance the gun shifted in your pocket or whatever.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I fully support everyone and encourage them to carry the gun they are most comfortable and competent to shoot with. My issue with “mouse” guns like the LCP is that they are often times more difficult to shoot well at all than most other larger pistols.

Personally I only carry 9mm or 45ACP guns, my criteria for CCW guns are I need sights I can shoot well and a grip I can get a full hand on. That almost by default rules out LCP style guns for me. I have also nevr really pocket carried, I can’t stand it moving around in your pocket and I even had a S&W 360PD which is probably the easiest gun to pocket carry ever made (but it sucked to shoot).

Currently running an Sig P365X in 9mm with a Wilson Combat grip and Holosun 507C in a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 holster. Another benefit of belt holster carry is you are pretty much guaranteed the same draw every time, no chance the gun shifted in your pocket or whatever.
    Up to last night I had only used my LCP Max at the range, my experience has been its easy enough to take follow up shots in rapid succession. I usually carry Federal JHP , and they seem to offer fairly good penetration, all three shoots basically went in almost the same hole. We had an un wanted armadillo, getting too close for comfort, they carry so many diseases.

But honestly it think it come down to individual as to which is best, giving an advantage to the 9 mm based on cost alone.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

380acp is okay penetration wise if you use FMJ bullets.
    9mm you can get better penetration, and expansion with HST HP out of a short barrel.
    So it's your choice knowing that.
    I've never owned a 380acp. It's always been 9mm, 45acp, 44mag, and 10mm that I've carried.
    I did recently buy a Browning Black Label Medallion Pro 1911 380acp which will be my first. I plan on loading my own amd using RNFP bullets in it, and or HST.

If you go here you can watch videos on 9mm and 380acp ballistic gel tests. It might help you decide what is best to use for each caliber with short barrels.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You can actually get decent performance out of a 380. Not great, but decent. And it beats a sharp stick.

Make sure whatever you use for ammo is based on the Hornady XTP bullet. It is one of the few bullets that manufacturers didnt just scale down to make one in that caliber. Other bullets suffer from poor to unreliable expansion.

Before I convinced my wife to carry a 9mm, She was carrying Precision One 90 gr XTP.

Here is a link to an older review, but had some solid results.

Last edited:

CB1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 27, 2018
    Putnam County
    Some days are pocket carry days and other days the owb is desirable. I too prefer 9mm.

Everything is a compromise. I make a choice then I roll with it. If that's a lightweight J frame, then that is what I got.

When I run or go cycling, I often have a caliber smaller than your 380 acp.

I personally wouldn't lose any sleep over 380 vs 9mm, I just want to make sure I get my hits.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg

You basically listed the pros and cons of both calibers and their perspective sizes and carry methods. Sounds like you need to decide where you're gonna compromise
    For myself, I'm willing to compromise a little comfort if it affords me the ability to get the gun into action quicker. Cause if stuff goes sideways, a comfy feeling gun in my pocket will he last on my mind. I'll be worried about getting my gun out quickly and it being reliable. I wouldn't compromise comfort to the point I'd not carry

Last edited:

Osprey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I never worried what caliber I carry since they all do the same thing. I use a .38 now and it is very comfortable. Besides, depending on your surroundings, anything and everything is a weapon. I try not to brandish a firearm unless I'm really outnumbered or intend to face and accept all consequences.

danowen12

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2024
    Greenwood
    I usually carry my sig p365, however I have also carried my lcp max. For me either choice is excellent. I find that I need to coat my max as it gets surface rust after a day of pocket carry and needs to be cleaned daily. Compared to my p365 which finish holds up amazingly. More importantly though, is to ensure that whatever your carrying is reliable. I’ve had lcp pistols in the past that couldn’t run a single mag without multiple jams. This max I have has been flawless.. i cleaned it when I first got it and ran 500 rounds of fmj through it, then ran a mag of my carry ammo of choice without a cleaning. After it passed that, I deemed it reliable.

Top Bottom